LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How rare is the Laser Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 04:02 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How rare is the Laser Cruise Control?

I have been looking and looking for this option and have only found one car with it.
Is it really that rare of an option?
Old 07-30-13, 05:43 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not common but it is available, I found mine using the Auto Trader search feature.
Old 07-30-13, 06:06 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ElliotB
It is not common but it is available, I found mine using the Auto Trader search feature.
Thanks for the tip! Do they call the one in the LS460 laser or radar??
I have seen people call them my both.
Old 07-30-13, 06:28 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

People call them both so use both when searching, it's one of my fav options next to the Hold feature!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 07-30-13, 07:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

It is radar, not laser. I have it in my car and I had to special order it from Japan in order to get it. What I was told is Lexus did not ship any Pre-Collision (a $2850 option in '07) equipped cars north of the snow belt. Their reasoning was it would not work in a snowstorm or if snow and ice covered the front sensor.

Being in Boston, the dealer searched as far south as Virginia (the furtherest away he would go for a car) and could not find one. I believe it is probably the rarest option, even rarer than the executive rear seat package. It's too bad because for me it is the one option I would not do without. I had to wait over 3 months to get the car, but it was worth it.
Old 07-30-13, 07:39 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Wow you would think there would be more in California.. But like I said I have only found 1.
Thanks for clarify its radar not laser.
The following users liked this post:
hfahmy (03-26-21)
Old 07-30-13, 09:47 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved my Wife's so much on her LS, that I got it on my IS. It is always hard to find!
Old 07-30-13, 11:46 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
People call them both so use both when searching, it's one of my fav options next to the Hold feature!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Me too
Old 07-31-13, 08:41 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
It is radar, not laser. I have it in my car and I had to special order it from Japan in order to get it. What I was told is Lexus did not ship any Pre-Collision (a $2850 option in '07) equipped cars north of the snow belt. Their reasoning was it would not work in a snowstorm or if snow and ice covered the front sensor.
I live in Canada and my LS460 AWD had it when I bought it new off the lot in 2011, so Lexus must have changed their shipping strategy. Snow does cause it a problem (as does heavy rain) and if it is heavy enough the system will shut down. I believe It is part of the technology package so you might want to include that in your search as well.
Old 07-31-13, 09:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Two quick ways to know if the car is equipped with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control just by looking at photos are.

- Look at the steering wheel for a white car icon (Vehicle-to-Vehicle distance button) on the right side.
- Look at the grill for a solid plastic Lexus logo, if is the cut out logo it does not have it.
- The second set of pics is how the Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance displays when in use. When DRCC is turned on, you will have the option to how far you want your LS distance to be from vehicles in front of you, with each press of the Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance button you will get a set distance setting, I prefer the third setting (100 ft) out the three.
Attached Thumbnails How rare is the Laser Cruise Control?-tee-s-dynamic-criuse-control-example1.jpg   How rare is the Laser Cruise Control?-tee-s-dynamic-criuse-control-example-2.jpg  

Last edited by Tee; 11-03-13 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LVCATZ (12-14-22)
Old 07-31-13, 10:45 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tee
Two quick ways to know if the car is equipped with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control just by looking at photos are.

- Look at the steering wheel for a white car icon on the right side.
- Look at the grill for a solid plastic Lexus logo, if is the cut out logo it does not have it.
Thanks for the steering wheel icon tip.. Much easier to check for that in ad pictures!
Old 07-31-13, 06:34 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a chance to try this feature last week on the way to San Diego and it works pretty good. The only thing I dislike was you have to reset the speed setting control every time when the vehicle automatic apply the brakes.
Old 07-31-13, 06:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

What model year were you driving? My car resumes the set speed if the system has to apply the brakes, unless of course you go under 25 mph. I wonder if that is a change or you have malfunction.
Old 07-31-13, 07:39 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2008 L and I was doing 80's.
Old 07-31-13, 08:04 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

It makes my road trips so much better. I even use it on some of my commute stretches where its wide open for a few miles for the occasional people that freak out and stop short all the time.

One thing folks may not realize is you can still accelerate to "override" the distancing feature if you feel it is being too much of a nanny. At the closest setting which I believe is one car length for every 10mph, although it is a safe distance, folks will sneak you on the right and cut in causing your car to slow heavily. So, I close the gap just a little more to avoid folks doing that by simply accelerating a little bit. I think the 2010s system is a little more refined than the 07-09s

Quick Reply: How rare is the Laser Cruise Control?