LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended warranty--positive experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 03:06 AM
Mainestan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Extended warranty--positive experience

We recently bought our first Lexus,2009 LS460,30K miles . The dealer tried selling us an extended warranty, secondary company for $3995.I asked to think about it before accepting. The salesman came back with an offer of $2995.I still said no.
That same day, I found Club Lexus and joined. I found prior posts about this warranty issue and what was the best pricing. I saw a post about Jerry Johnson at Midwest Superstore,620-662-6631 and his best listed pricing. I called and he was very helpful. He sold me an extension of the Lexus Platinum coverage for $1765,4 years 75K miles. All of the paperwork and documents arrived as promised.It was a better plan ,much lower costs and all thanks to Club Lexus and it's members.
Thank you.
Mainestan
Old 06-12-13, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought mine from a Toyota dealership in Mass. for about 100 bucks more. In the end they will screw you at the dealership. Its good you didnt let them
Old 06-12-13, 11:11 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Good for you.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-12-13, 09:31 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought an 07L with 43k miles without any existing warranty. The car still rides like new, but for a piece of mind, Is there any Lexus warranties out there available that I can purchase?
Old 06-13-13, 05:36 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey Mainestan. Welcome to the Club!

It was nice you benefited from the Club already. You should know we accept gratuities.
Old 06-13-13, 03:10 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgameover
I recently bought an 07L with 43k miles without any existing warranty. The car still rides like new, but for a piece of mind, Is there any Lexus warranties out there available that I can purchase?
I am not aware of Lexus offering anything for used cars, but if they do, it will likely cost and arm and a leg. In that case, aftermarket would (unfortunately) be the only way to go.
Old 06-14-13, 11:11 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
I am not aware of Lexus offering anything for used cars, but if they do, it will likely cost and arm and a leg. In that case, aftermarket would (unfortunately) be the only way to go.
Not true.

Educate yourself, sir.
Old 06-14-13, 11:57 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Not true.

Educate yourself, sir.
If you want to post something that is actually informative and helpful to the earlier poster, please do. Otherwise...

My understanding from conversations with people at Lexus dealerships and from looking at the Lexus Financial Services website is that unless you are eligible for a "new" car warranty (i.e., within the 4/50 period, which this gentleman is not) or are buying a CPO (which it doesn't sound like he did) and extending the warranty on the spot, you have no other options.

Again, please feel free to enlighten us all if you have additional information. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.
Old 06-14-13, 01:13 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to post something that is actually informative and helpful to the earlier poster, please do. Otherwise...

My understanding from conversations with people at Lexus dealerships and from looking at the Lexus Financial Services website is that unless you are eligible for a "new" car warranty (i.e., within the 4/50 period, which this gentleman is not) or are buying a CPO (which it doesn't sound like he did) and extending the warranty on the spot, you have no other options.

Again, please feel free to enlighten us all if you have additional information. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.
+1, this is my understanding as well.

If your only option is aftermarket or 3rd party warranties, if you are a member of a credit union check with them as they usually offer some plans to their members at fairly reasonable rates. As an example, the plans my credit union carries are based on how old your car is and current mileage... 5+ yrs old w/ <60K mi., 10+ yrs w/ <125K mi., 10+ w/ <150K. Then the coverage is for say 4 years and 50k mi. Key thing is you need to understand what's covered and what's not, as these plans will not always be the same from every company. Do your due dilligence
Old 06-14-13, 03:04 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Not true.

Educate yourself, sir.
Can you be more specific? The dealership I bought it from was an Audi dealer and I did not want to go with a 3rd party. I just bought this car 2 weeks ago, but prior I've been trying to locate a low mileage CPO 460L with the right options, from all over the country (except northern snowy areas) for almost 3 months with no luck. As mentioned, the car still looks, rides, and smell new. (1 owner car).

Appreciate it, caha. This is also my understanding from Lexus warranties as well, but figured I ask just in case there were something I havent ran across yet.
Old 06-14-13, 04:43 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Putt
+1, this is my understanding as well.

If your only option is aftermarket or 3rd party warranties, if you are a member of a credit union check with them as they usually offer some plans to their members at fairly reasonable rates. As an example, the plans my credit union carries are based on how old your car is and current mileage... 5+ yrs old w/ <60K mi., 10+ yrs w/ <125K mi., 10+ w/ <150K. Then the coverage is for say 4 years and 50k mi. Key thing is you need to understand what's covered and what's not, as these plans will not always be the same from every company. Do your due dilligence
Good post. Credit unions are excellent sources for reasonably priced financial products and services of all kinds. BUT, I have found that many of the generic warranty products such as those mentioned above explicitly EXCLUDE high-end makes including Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Fair warning.
Old 06-14-13, 07:35 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Good post. Credit unions are excellent sources for reasonably priced financial products and services of all kinds. BUT, I have found that many of the generic warranty products such as those mentioned above explicitly EXCLUDE high-end makes including Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Fair warning.
I guess my credit union offers a pretty good 3rd party product ... I was able to get a quote over the phone for my '08 LS460 w/ just under 71K mi. They just needed my VIN, current mileage and estimated future annual mileage. The company its from is EFG Companies.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, will need to go down to my credit union and discuss further, etc.

I've no doubt that some plans excl high-end vehicles, thing to remember is to do the leg work and inquire, research, etc to find something that will work. Never know what you can find
Old 06-14-13, 08:21 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at the PenFed credit union extended warranty. It excludes navigation system and sound system. These are two big repair cost items with our Lexus cars.

Perhaps someone with a positive experience with a 3rd party coverage can make a recommendation here.

Not for me but for others interested. All my cars are either covered by the (1) original warranty, (2) CPO warranty or (1) Lexus Platinum warranty purchased from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota Superstore.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 06-14-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 09:09 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask the man that owns [four]...
Old 06-19-13, 04:42 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warranty

If your Lexus is still under the original warranty. You can buy the Extended Lexus warranty from Jerry Johnson. Email him your VIN and he will quote you the price.

jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com