LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cracking noise from inside...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 08:45 AM
ekim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking noise from inside...

So I've been getting this weird cracking noise from inside my car. Sounds like its coming from the rear side of the headliner. This always happens when I'm turning in or out of a driveway or over a speed bump. Any ideas of what it could be. Usually at low speeds and usually when I'm turning. It is very annoying!
Old 05-20-13, 08:47 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Mine does that too.
Old 05-20-13, 08:49 AM
ekim
Driver

Originally Posted by sgmorton
Mine does that too.
Ever tried to get it fix? I'm taking my car to the stealership today and see what they say.
Old 05-20-13, 08:55 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ekim
Ever tried to get it fix? I'm taking my car to the stealership today and see what they say.
I had similar issues and had it addressed by the dealer. They had to re-tighten the sunroof rails. They had to loosen them up and then tighten them. Once done, no more cracking.
Old 05-20-13, 07:12 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear this too. I thought it was part of the suspension and have had the dealer keep the car twice for a week to try to reproduce and fix it. It does sound like it comes from the roof area, but always behind the drivers head.

Sunroof rails, huh? Never would have thought of that.

Please let us know if you manage to get it fixed.
Old 05-20-13, 10:05 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure its coming from inside? I have the same issues. It only happens when I'm driving slow and turning. I was told it might be my control arms, but I've gotten that replaced and its still making the noise.
Old 05-22-13, 01:40 AM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is the sun roof bracket/rails, had this repaired under warranty.
Old 05-28-13, 08:42 AM
ekim
Driver

Originally Posted by dimapb
I had similar issues and had it addressed by the dealer. They had to re-tighten the sunroof rails. They had to loosen them up and then tighten them. Once done, no more cracking.
Was wondering if you had to pay out of pocket or was it covered by warranty because Lexus wants to charge me 700 bucks to drop the head liner and retighten my bolts even though my car is still under warranty...they say to drop the headliner it takes about 7.5 hours. I do not wanna pay 700 bucks to tighten some loose bolts...
Old 05-28-13, 11:13 AM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

To get to the bracket, the headliner has to be removed and this involves removing the front windshield to slide the headliner out thru the front. During the removal process they cracked my front windshield and had to replace it with a new one. Again, all of this was covered under warranty, If you are out of warranty $750.00 sounds good, if this includes parts, labor and warranty on work done.
Old 05-28-13, 11:53 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should all be covered under warranty. I didn't pay a single penny for it. On my car, they definitely dropped the headliner but did not have to remove the front windshield.
Old 05-28-13, 12:32 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i knew it...i figured it had to be something with the sunroof rails. Mine is slight but dang, removing windshield..thats wack!! I am on CPO warranty and I know that is not covered, but I will sure ask
Old 05-28-13, 03:33 PM
ekim
Driver

Yes my car is a CPO but the serv advisor told me warranty does not cover any trim related issues... Like noises that come from the car. Also, no parts are necessary. All he said was removing headliner and re tighten the bolts... I'm pretty much **** out of luck...
Old 05-29-13, 04:39 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

good to know i wasn't going nuts.... something else to add to the list.. gonna dynamat roof so it'll get fixed then..

fyi i have NEVER seen a windshield removed to replace a headliner.. most likely they simply broke the windshield whilst working on the headliner.. and were forced to replace it..

lastly it cant be too pricey.. we have a local company that will reupholster a headliner for $99.. i'd check in your area for such a company (they may do retail as this guy does or they may just do used car lots so thats a good place to start) shoot em 50 to drop not remove the headliner.. tighten the rails an have em put it back up.. the headliner just needs to be outta the way not outta the car....

Last edited by Shibumi1; 05-29-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 07:43 AM
ekim
Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
good to know i wasn't going nuts.... something else to add to the list.. gonna dynamat roof so it'll get fixed then..

fyi i have NEVER seen a windshield removed to replace a headliner.. most likely they simply broke the windshield whilst working on the headliner.. and were forced to replace it..

lastly it cant be too pricey.. we have a local company that will reupholster a headliner for $99.. i'd check in your area for such a company (they may do retail as this guy does or they may just do used car lots so thats a good place to start) shoot em 50 to drop not remove the headliner.. tighten the rails an have em put it back up.. the headliner just needs to be outta the way not outta the car....
That's a great idea! Thanks bro!
Old 05-31-13, 07:56 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shibumi1

I should clarify that they didn't just tighten the bolts, they replaced the whole bracket with an improved one which required removing the headliner out thru the front windshield. But then I don;t know if this applies to an LS460 to an LS600hL.

Quick Reply: Cracking noise from inside...