LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any rotors and pads recommendations? i decided no more stock pieces for me anymore...

Old 04-04-13, 08:28 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any rotors and pads recommendations? i decided no more stock pieces for me anymore...

I have decided not to purchase OEM rotors and pads since i have seen that they just go bad fairly fast. Maybe it is because it is such a heavy vehicle that it causes the rotors to be warped. I would like to buy some brand new front rotors with pads. Based on my research, the STOP TECH rotors and EBC pads have caught my attention, but i haven't heard about their durability.
What recommendations do you guys have? I am interested in some opinions.

thank you
Old 04-04-13, 01:13 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by silver305
I have decided not to purchase OEM rotors and pads since i have seen that they just go bad fairly fast. Maybe it is because it is such a heavy vehicle that it causes the rotors to be warped. I would like to buy some brand new front rotors with pads. Based on my research, the STOP TECH rotors and EBC pads have caught my attention, but i haven't heard about their durability.
What recommendations do you guys have? I am interested in some opinions.

thank you
I don't agree that they wear down fast. These brakes setups, especially up front are pretty solid. I had good luck on my 460 with OEM Pads and Rotors. But, when they did finally wear down around 55K, I purchased OEM Front rotors on Pembroke Pines Lexus -Trademotion website and Akebono proACT pads and Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors for my rears with Akebono proACT pads also.

Raybetos has lifetime warranty so technically you should be able to get new ones if they warp or wear down too fast.

Side note, the usual culprit of warped rotors is improper lugnut torque. LS lugnuts require 103 ft lbs of torque and of course torqued evenly with an accurate torque wrench, not an air gun. When I swap my wheels, I actually don't use an air gun at all...just my preference
Old 04-04-13, 01:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

This is my recommendation for pads -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eat-price.html

They also have rotors, but I have no experience with them.
Old 04-04-13, 02:12 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Wagner Thermoquiets for me.
Old 04-04-13, 02:25 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I don't agree that they wear down fast. These brakes setups, especially up front are pretty solid. I had good luck on my 460 with OEM Pads and Rotors. But, when they did finally wear down around 55K, I purchased OEM Front rotors on Pembroke Pines Lexus -Trademotion website and Akebono proACT pads and Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors for my rears with Akebono proACT pads also.

Raybetos has lifetime warranty so technically you should be able to get new ones if they warp or wear down too fast.

Side note, the usual culprit of warped rotors is improper lugnut torque. LS lugnuts require 103 ft lbs of torque and of course torqued evenly with an accurate torque wrench, not an air gun. When I swap my wheels, I actually don't use an air gun at all...just my preference
Sounds good. Is there any good cross drilled rotors that have good reliability and perhaps have the lifetime warranty?
BTW, anytime a company says they give you lifetime warranty on something, i feel there is always the fine print that they use against you in order to not cover you. I highly doubt that they would give you lifetime warranty on the rear rotors you had because they will probably come back beating around bush and tell you that you were the problem and not the rotors..
Old 02-06-14, 10:07 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received my Akebono ProAct front and rear ceramic brake pads.

What about rotors? I think I have 75k miles on the original OEM rotors that have been turned a couple of times by previous owner. My steering wheel shakes a little when slowing down from 60 mph to about 40 mph, but brakes feel good when I brake hard. Everyone is telling me on this board that it's warped rotors. I recently replaced two tires and probably got the lugnuts tightened wrong (should be 103.3 all around) when they installed and rotated the tires.

Right now I'm thinking about just getting the OEM rotors from Sewell. It's about $400 for both front and rear including shipping.

I saw that CJITTY put OEM rotors on front and Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors on rear. How are these working out?

Someone else mentioned Napa Ultra Pemium rotors.

Any other recommendations for rotors? $400 is my max.
Old 02-07-14, 03:33 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
I just received my Akebono ProAct front and rear ceramic brake pads.

What about rotors? I think I have 75k miles on the original OEM rotors that have been turned a couple of times by previous owner. My steering wheel shakes a little when slowing down from 60 mph to about 40 mph, but brakes feel good when I brake hard. Everyone is telling me on this board that it's warped rotors. I recently replaced two tires and probably got the lugnuts tightened wrong (should be 103.3 all around) when they installed and rotated the tires.

Right now I'm thinking about just getting the OEM rotors from Sewell. It's about $400 for both front and rear including shipping.

I saw that CJITTY put OEM rotors on front and Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors on rear. How are these working out?

Someone else mentioned Napa Ultra Pemium rotors.

Any other recommendations for rotors? $400 is my max.
That combo I used on my old 460 worked out very well. I sold the car and I'll ask the new owner when he had to replace because he drives abour 70k miles a year vs my 12 to 15k..he never complained about the brakes
Old 02-07-14, 07:59 AM
lieup
Driver

I got Akebono ProAct, last couple months and much better than the oem.
Old 02-07-14, 09:50 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on Akebono ProAct and Centric/Stoptech slotted rotors, no complaints so far
Old 02-07-14, 04:03 PM
lieup
Driver

Did anyone reuse the factory old shims with the akenbon pro act pads? I did!
Old 03-07-14, 09:33 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

I ended up resurfacing all 4 OEM rotors one last time and installing the Akebono ceramic brake pads from www.PlaceForBrakes.com. I also asked the independent mechanic to torque the lugnuts at 103, but the mechanic said his machine was on increments of 5, so I went with 100 ft/lbs.

I drove it home on the freeway and no more vibrations when slowing down from 70 to 40 mph. Right now the braking is nice and smooth...no more vibrations as before when braking from 70 to 40 mph.

I'm super happy. Thanks for all the information. This forum rocks.
Old 03-08-14, 02:16 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny

I'm super happy. Thanks for all the information. This forum rocks.
Another satisfied customer! The Akebono pads worked so well on my car that I put them on my wife's car way before she needed new pads.

Our invoice is in the mail.
Old 03-08-14, 04:08 AM
lieup
Driver

I just replaced my front and rear Akebono ceramic pads to OEM pads after 1K miles due to rotors cracks and front pads movement while driving 40MPH. I would not recommend OEM rotors with after market pads due to first layer shim fitment is different to OEM. However, after replacing both, I no longer have the pads movement sounds, like the sound of the wheel bearing is broken. BTW, I have front and rear 1K miles Akebono sets, if anyone interesting PM me for info.
Old 03-08-14, 07:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I replaced my front rotors with Bendix brand, due to warpage of the oem's. A lot of info on this forum seems to indicate that the oem rotors are prone to warpage. Based on my vehicle's previous owners service history I received from Lexus, the front and rear rotors had been serviced numerous times in different ways, from replacement to resurfacing. As soon as I bought the car, I noticed brake shimmy and replaced the front rotors. Ebay for 55 bucks/pr!!l WITH free shipping ...lol

Car now brakes silky smooth.
Old 03-10-14, 09:24 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

I'm not sure I agree that there's a lot posts on the warping of the OEM rotors. My take is that the Akebono ceramic pads are less dusty and work really well with the OEM rotors.

People have posted that having the wrong torque in the lugnuts is a common problem for this car. Most cars do not require 103 ft/lbs of torque. As a result, most places will torque you at 80 to 90 ft/lbs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any rotors and pads recommendations? i decided no more stock pieces for me anymore...