LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2 Sets of Wheels? Ok, Reset your TPMS yourself at home!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 08:08 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default 2 Sets of Wheels? Ok, Reset your TPMS yourself at home!!!

So I took a gamble based on some research and picked up the ATEQ TPM Quickset device. Costs about $150, but I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards and decided to get it since it was only about $50 out of my pocket lol

Why is this something I would want?

The LS460s and 600s only allow for one set of 5 TPMS sensor IDs at a time. This sucks because many cars allow for up to 9 or 10 TPMS IDs to easily switch between winter and summer wheel setups without resetting TPMS sensors. Many tire shops will reset your TPMS for free with tire/wheel purchases, but for a guy like me who has access to a lift and likes to swap wheels myself, this tool really makes things easy. I have seen people here on CL post up that it cost them well over $100 or even $200 to have the dealer reset their TPMS on a wheel swap...that is insane!!

How Does it work?

Check out this video for the high level overview, then keep reading below...

What did Uncle Jitty have to do?

Over the last year or so going back and forth to Discount Tire, I was smart enough to take a picture of the TPMS scanner screen the techs used each time they scanned my oem 19" wheel TPMS sensors to capture the sensor IDs for all 5 positions and then again for my 22 inch wheel sensors..

Here is a pic of one of the TPMS scans on my OEM 19" wheels. Notice the format is in Hex already.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8532285899/http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8532285899/ by
Here is a pic showing one of my 22" wheels that did NOT have a sensor ID in Hex format and I had to convert it using a free hex conversion website

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8533398228/http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8533398228/ by
This ATEQ Quickset tool I am talking about here WILL NOT scan your sensors. It can only download what is currently in your ECU..you will have to get your second set of sensors scanned by a shop and jot down the IDs to add into the software later. Also, go to ATEQs website and download the latest beta version of the software..the old software was really bad according to the reviews, but the new version is much better.

Here is the ATEQ Quickset tool. One end has a USB connection, the other end has the OBDII cable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8532273665/http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8532273665/ by
With the TPMS sensor ID info, I was able to input the data into the ATEQ Software screen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8532270337/http://www.flickr.com/photos/71780827@N02/8532270337/ by
Some of the IDs I had for my 22s actually were not in Hexadecimal format (required for the LS), so I Googled a Hexadecimal conversion website and just plugged in the numbers to get it to provide me the Hex format. You then flash the data to the Quickset by pushing the "Save To Quickset" button on the screen while connected via USB. You then disconnect from your PC and take the Quickset to your car.

1. Push start button until you are in the ON position (engine OFF)
2. Wait at least 10 seconds for ECU to boot up and stabilize
3. Plug in the Quickset to the OBDII port of your car
4. Simply press either the Sun button (Summer IDs) or Snowflake button (Winter IDs)
5. Make sure LED is solid green and unplug the tool
6. Then look at dash for about 30 to 60 seconds and TPMS light should clear.
7. DONE!!

IMPORTANT NOTE TO CONSIDER - If you are getting the red light error when trying to upload your IDs into the car, you may need to use the 2008 LS 600h setting as your vehicle, not LS460 even though you have one. Thanks to CL Member "Funkie2" who posted below, he confirmed that to be the case with ATEQ customer support for his situation on his LS460. Maybe that will be resolved over time with firmware updates

I really think this is a great product. No batteries required since it uses flash memory and uses USB power when connected to PC and vehicle power from OBDII port. It comes with the USB cable as well as OBDII extension.

Bottom line here, no more going back and forth to reset your TPMS and possibly having to pay each time to have it reset..this is handy for the do it yourself types who swap wheels all the time.

Hopefully this will save my CL peeps some time and money!!

Uncle Jitty out

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-08-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-05-13, 08:12 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Uncle Jitty is the man definitely going to be picking this up!
Old 03-05-13, 08:20 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mannn you add sooo much to this forum its amazes me all time and this coming from another forum with my old car (infinitiscene).
Old 03-05-13, 08:26 PM
CJITTY

Thanks Fellas. I like to share information when i can. I hate seeing people get ripped off and try to share my experiences for everyone to benefit. It's just who I am, I can't help it lol...but I really do appreciate the kind words..I bought mine from Amazon Prime..just in case I had to return it, figured it would be easier..but, this tool is a keeper for real!
Old 03-05-13, 09:21 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very useful info. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Old 03-06-13, 07:14 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks pretty awesome. How much is the tool that scans the sensors to get the ID's?
Old 03-06-13, 07:59 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
This looks pretty awesome. How much is the tool that scans the sensors to get the ID's?
Those are much more expense IIRC...you can check out ATEQ website because they do have the device. You only need it once though, so probably not worth it. If you get new TPMS sensors, the vendor should be able to provide you the IDs on the invoice...but I know you are in C Springs...just pop over to a discount tire and ask them nicely if they can do a courtesy TPMS scan..then take a pic of the screen .for each tire they scan like i did..then you will always have them..this tool that I have will download your existing IDs in your car now from the ECU itself and import them into your PC software when you plug the tool back up to it...you just need to take your other wheels over to discount tire..etc
Old 03-06-13, 08:32 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense. I need new TPMS sensors anyway.
Old 03-06-13, 09:02 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
That makes sense. I need new TPMS sensors anyway.
Side note on that, I posted in the wheel/tire thread about Orange TPMS. If you can get Discount TIre to give you your current 5 sensor IDs, you can call Orange and order a set of 4 new sensors with your existing wheels that are mounted sensor IDs already flashed to them. You will then have 9 sensors:

4 for your existing wheels on car
4 for your 2nd set of wheels from Orange with the same 4 IDs of our existing
1 for your spare (You still need to know your spare ID because it needs all 5 IDs inputted at once, it will not stay in memory between the summer and winter flashes..if that makes sense

The cost is just slightly more, but then you never have to worry about buying any tools for your TPMS. I thought the tool would be nice because we have two vehicles that use TPMS and you can store up to 4 or 5 cars with this tool. I might even help folks out on the side to make some spare cash if they have their IDs already

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-06-13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 09:19 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextrician
Mannn you add sooo much to this forum its amazes me all time and this coming from another forum with my old car (infinitiscene).
Ditto! However got say the 4Runner forum was great too before I came to CL back in 2008, but JITTY keeps adding value to CL and his stock stays up!
Old 03-06-13, 09:25 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

nice!
I guess the only thing is getting the ID's in the first place...
Old 03-06-13, 10:11 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by jayhoang
nice!
I guess the only thing is getting the ID's in the first place...
Jay..Yup!..this is where it pays to have friends or hook ups at car shops. The sensors can be scanned in less than 5 minutes. Jay, I believe you have wheels still coming if I recall, so you have time to get your existing 4 wheels scanned. THen call Orange TPMS and provide them those 4 IDs so they can send you 4 new sensors for your VIP wheels to match your current IDs...that way, the car sees the same IDs regardless of wheels on your car. But for folks like me after the fact, this tool above will work great for me
Old 03-06-13, 10:12 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Tee
Ditto! However got say the 4Runner forum was great too before I came to CL back in 2008, but JITTY keeps adding value to CL and his stock stays up!
Tee, thanks big bro!
Old 03-06-13, 11:03 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1x tpms code....

Originally Posted by CJITTY
So I took a gamble based on some research and picked up the ATEQ TPM Quickset device. Costs about $150, but I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards and decided to get it since it was only about $50 out of my pocket lol

Why is this something I would want?

The LS460s and 600s only allow for one set of 5 TPMS sensor IDs at a time. This sucks because many cars allow for up to 9 or 10 TPMS IDs to easily switch between winter and summer wheel setups without resetting TPMS sensors. Many tire shops will reset your TPMS for free with tire/wheel purchases, but for a guy like me who has access to a lift and likes to swap wheels myself, this tool really makes things easy. I have seen people here on CL post up that it cost them well over $100 or even $200 to have the dealer reset their TPMS on a wheel swap...that is insane!!

How Does it work?

Check out this video for the high level overview, then keep reading below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txwXgUL0qTY

What did Uncle Jitty have to do?

Over the last year or so going back and forth to Discount Tire, I was smart enough to take a picture of the TPMS scanner screen the techs used each time they scanned my oem 19" wheel TPMS sensors to capture the sensor IDs for all 5 positions and then again for my 22 inch wheel sensors..

Here is a pic of one of the TPMS scans on my OEM 19" wheels. Notice the format is in Hex already.

Untitled by

Here is a pic showing one of my 22" wheels that did NOT have a sensor ID in Hex format and I had to convert it using a free hex conversion website

Untitled by

This ATEQ Quickset tool I am talking about here WILL NOT scan your sensors. It can only download what is currently in your ECU..you will have to get your second set of sensors scanned by a shop and jot down the IDs to add into the software later. Also, go to ATEQs website and download the latest beta version of the software..the old software was really bad according to the reviews, but the new version is much better.

Here is the ATEQ Quickset tool. One end has a USB connection, the other end has the OBDII cable

Untitled by

With the TPMS sensor ID info, I was able to input the data into the ATEQ Software screen

Untitled by

Some of the IDs I had for my 22s actually were not in Hexadecimal format (required for the LS), so I Googled a Hexadecimal conversion website and just plugged in the numbers to get it to provide me the Hex format. You then flash the data to the Quickset by pushing the "Save To Quickset" button on the screen while connected via USB. You then disconnect from your PC and take the Quickset to your car.

1. Push start button until you are in the ON position (engine OFF)
2. Wait at least 10 seconds for ECU to boot up and stabilize
3. Plug in the Quickset to the OBDII port of your car
4. Simply press either the Sun button (Summer IDs) or Snowflake button (Winter IDs)
5. Make sure LED is solid green and unplug the tool
6. Then look at dash for about 30 to 60 seconds and TPMS light should clear.
7. DONE!!

I really think this is a great product. No batteries required since it uses flash memory and uses USB power when connected to PC and vehicle power from OBDII port. It comes with the USB cable as well as OBDII extension.

Bottom line here, no more going back and forth to reset your TPMS and possibly having to pay each time to have it reset..this is handy for the do it yourself types who swap wheels all the time.

Hopefully this will save my CL peeps some time and money!!

Uncle Jitty out
-----
I posted 11-30...don't know if it is relevent for you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171333
[/U]

I am trying some from ALLIANCE automotive on E Bay. Also, the Lexus dealer told me the first reading on the dash display AND the TPMS reader via the OBD are always the spare.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...I did install theE Bay TPMS on my dedicated snow tires and wheels. Had the tire dealer read the original codes on the factory wheels, bought the new TPMS on e bay ..$161.00 for four....the seller programmed them [free] to match the four coming off the car. Tire dealer installed the Michelin snows and TPMS on a spare set of wheels....and fired it up....viola... the new codes read perfectly. Only have a very few miles since and fastest speed 65mph....but the Michelin snows...X-Ice Xi3.. ...seems to be very quiet and ride softer than my Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.
.So I am good to go.....and because I did this it will not snow.
mike
Old 03-06-13, 01:36 PM
CJITTY

-----
I posted 11-30...don't know if it is relevent for you....
Quote:
[/U]

I am trying some from ALLIANCE automotive on E Bay. Also, the Lexus dealer told me the first reading on the dash display AND the TPMS reader via the OBD are always the spare.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...I did install theE Bay TPMS on my dedicated snow tires and wheels. Had the tire dealer read the original codes on the factory wheels, bought the new TPMS on e bay ..$161.00 for four....the seller programmed them [free] to match the four coming off the car. Tire dealer installed the Michelin snows and TPMS on a spare set of wheels....and fired it up....viola... the new codes read perfectly. Only have a very few miles since and fastest speed 65mph....but the Michelin snows...X-Ice Xi3.. ...seems to be very quiet and ride softer than my Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.
.So I am good to go.....and because I did this it will not snow.
mike
Yes, if typically if you are buying wheels or tires, the shop will get your TPMS reset for free. But, for people like me who are switching wheel setups often, mainly due to road trips or winter weather, if you don't have a shop that will reset your tpms for free outside of a wheel or tire sale, then it can get expensive. I disagree with your statement because on my 460 and now my 600, my spare tire has always been the last (bottom) position on my display..regardless of how it is loaded into the ECU

Quick Reply: 2 Sets of Wheels? Ok, Reset your TPMS yourself at home!!!