LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 07:58 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3rd party extended warranty company: CNA, the adjuster came out in couple hours after the service advisor called. I heard lots of bad reviews about this company. However, it turns out they taken this issue expedite and I'm happy the outcome. Good thing I purchased the extended warranty and it only cost me $2500 for 5yr or 100K and the invoice was close to $4200.
Old 07-06-13, 08:01 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Extended Warranties

Originally Posted by lieup
3rd party extended warranty company: CNA, the adjuster came out in couple hours after the service advisor called. I heard lots of bad reviews about this company. However, it turns out they taken this issue expedite and I'm happy the outcome. Good thing I purchased the extended warranty and it only cost me $2500 for 5yr or 100K and the invoice was close to $4200.
My advice to anyone driving a LS-460 that is still under LEXUS factory warranty is to buy a LEXUS PLATINUM EXTENDED WARRANTY from a dealership. Many of the 3rd party warranties are "shady" at best. I have had about 5 Lexus vehicles, and never had a warranty on any of them and NOTHING ever broke. My LS-460 is a car I would not drive around the block unless I knew it was under warranty. Front control arm bushings should NOT be cracked on a car with 38,000 miles on it. I've had two amplifiers replaced which knocks out your GPS, Hands-Free Phone and radio. Those are $1,700 I'm told by Lexus. I really hope Lexus gets the LS-460 up to snuff, and soon.
Old 07-07-13, 10:56 PM
tpocean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

On Tuesday I take my LS 460 in for the control arms issue, I'm glad I have my mechanics diagnosis and the six page service bulletin in hand.

My Lexus warranty is good till October

The other warranty I have is from Century Automotive Service Corp.

My mechanic says that these companies will fix anything that needs fixing

Indeed , I had very positive experiences with one of these warranties years ago

I had a BMW 740il . I kept telling the dealer, "The sunroof rattles" The dealer repeatedly told me, "Cannot Verify" The minute the BMW warranty ended , and the third party warranty kicked in, the dealer said " Yes , the sunroof is broken"

The other company sent an inspector, he approved the repair immediately, and they paid BMW $2500.00 to fix it, no questions asked

I'll post again after the service visit.....................

Last edited by tpocean; 07-11-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 03:19 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This sucks because I have been looking at getting anLs460 for some time because I need a bigger car than my old GS. If their reliability is going down I may have to leave the fold and look for greener pastures.
Old 07-09-13, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Its not reliability per-se, its just the design of that particular component and the cost of replacing it.
Old 07-09-13, 04:17 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
My advice to anyone driving a LS-460 that is still under LEXUS factory warranty is to buy a LEXUS PLATINUM EXTENDED WARRANTY from a dealership. Many of the 3rd party warranties are "shady" at best. I have had about 5 Lexus vehicles, and never had a warranty on any of them and NOTHING ever broke. My LS-460 is a car I would not drive around the block unless I knew it was under warranty. Front control arm bushings should NOT be cracked on a car with 38,000 miles on it. I've had two amplifiers replaced which knocks out your GPS, Hands-Free Phone and radio. Those are $1,700 I'm told by Lexus. I really hope Lexus gets the LS-460 up to snuff, and soon.
So, I got my vehicle back after the service tech. predict front control arms is bad. However, that was not the case. If you LS460 owner are experiencing clicking noise while stoping or in motion. Please, inspect the front or rear bearing and hub replacement. There should be 4 bolts, you need to loosen the 4 bolts and re torch it the mfg. spec. After, he did that my clicking noise went away and it was free of charge. Please, let me know your vehicle perform this method and resolved the clicking issue so we can share to other members.
Old 07-10-13, 06:20 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, I got my vehicle back after the service tech. predict front control arms is bad. However, that was not the case. If you LS460 owner are experiencing clicking noise while stoping or in motion. Please, inspect the front or rear bearing and hub replacement. There should be 4 bolts, you need to loosen the 4 bolts and re torch it the mfg. spec. After, he did that my clicking noise went away and it was free of charge. Please, let me know your vehicle perform this method and resolved the clicking issue so we can share to other members.
ar you referring to that clunk noise on the front end of the vehicle when backing up or slowing down? because i get that noise and i thought it was the control arms..
Old 07-10-13, 07:40 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently had ALL my control arms replaced. And it is correct, you cannot just replace the bushings, you have to replace the entire arms. A MAJOR job. Again, I paid right at $5,000 but my Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty paid for all of it.

Now, after they did that and aligned the front end, I began hearing "pops" under the front end AFTER they replaced them. Very annoying. I took my car back and the tech heard it during test drive and he put the car on the lift two times, dropped the skid plate and put a large wrench on all the bolts that are typically loosened to take off the control arms and to align the front end. He finally got a "cheater" bar and really put some torque on all the bolts and the noise is no longer there. Little things like that drive me crazy. But, they fixed it with no charge. I'm happy.
Old 07-10-13, 10:25 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am searching for a Extended Warranty for my recently purchased 08 LS460. Came across this site, have any of you guys heard of Consumer Automotive Research?

http://www.consumerautomotiveresearc...-Companies.htm
Old 07-10-13, 11:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope mine will last. Had them replaced under warranty but if they go every 65-70k I should be ok. Im at 70 now and Im only keeping the car for another 2-3 years
Old 07-10-13, 01:48 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I hope mine will last. Had them replaced under warranty but if they go every 65-70k I should be ok. Im at 70 now and Im only keeping the car for another 2-3 years
Have you taken in your car for warranty work while your car was modded? I've spoke to a few dealers and they told me they can't inspect my car with my aftermarket parts. Because the techs will just blame the aftermarket parts. I'm planning on taking my car to my independent shop on Friday to get my brakes changed. Going to ask them to look at the bearings.

Last edited by Grouchy; 07-10-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 05:10 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Feels like such a long time since we were both having similar issues! I've wondered about this too, but remember that the bushings in all but one set of control arms were actually redesigned, so hopefully this new breed will have superior durability (i.e., what it should've been from the get go!).
Old 07-11-13, 09:20 PM
tpocean
Driver School Candidate

Default Control Arms have been replaced

I Just had all the control arms and bushings replaced, $3400.00 under the original warranty at the dealer. (2009 LS460 , 41,000 miles)
There seems to be a marked improvement in how the car responds to road imperfections
And yes, the part numbers are different, so the parts have been redesigned.
I wonder how many people are driving around not knowing that their front suspension is broken......
Old 07-12-13, 01:38 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my car to my independent shop to get my brakes changed. They told me to come back on my next oil change. God I love this shop.

Anyway, I asked them about ticking noise. They took about 30 mins trying to figure it out, turning my steering wheel left and right. They came to the conclusion that when I took my car to get my control arms replaced, they didn't replace all of them. They told me my lower control arms needs to be replaced now. He referred me to a service rep he knows at this local dealership. Hopefully they will turn a blind eye to my aftermarket parts and fix it. Or else I'm ***** out of probably over a grand just to put my car back to stock.
Old 07-13-13, 10:54 PM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Default Purchasing a used LS460 with concerns of bad control arms

I have been actively searching for a used LS460 for under $35k.

After reading this thread I now have fears of needing to spend $4k to replace front control arms after buying a 460. I have primarily been looking for cars at Lexus dealerships, but they generally are not CPO at my price point. One dealer had a 460 that their tech recommended changing all the control arms, but the used car manager did not want to incur the expense. I am passing on this car, but what about other cars from other dealers? I doubt I would get an honest answer from the salesperson if I requested they ask their tech to inspect the front bushings. What do you guys recommend to try and eliminate cars with worn bushings for sale at Lexus dealers?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms