LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

C...c...COLD! My LS460 doesnt heat up

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 06:13 PM
CMY4D
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a coolant leak. In the few years I have worked for Lexus, I have yet to see a failed thermostat. If I had to bet it's the waterpump.
Old 01-09-13, 09:29 AM
gs4mock2
Rookie

i been having the same problem,took the car to the dealer today the told me my water pumps bad...my car has 53k and the water pumps bad already wow
Old 01-09-13, 09:39 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Classic Sign of water pump failure. Instead of moving coolant, its just swishing it around.

Mine was replaced at 50K and they broke the radiator when they were replacing it. So I got both for free.
Old 01-09-13, 09:42 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird. I would have thought that a failure of the water pump would result in the car overheating, or at least higher than normal temps?

My problem was resolved by running the car at 2k RPM for 5 mins with the radiator cap off and me keeping the tank topped up to max.
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (08-06-20)
Old 01-09-13, 09:48 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms2
Weird. I would have thought that a failure of the water pump would result in the car overheating, or at least higher than normal temps?

My problem was resolved by running the car at 2k RPM for 5 mins with the radiator cap off and me keeping the tank topped up to max.
It moves enough though the engine but maybe not enough to the heater core. Eventually it will overheat.
Old 01-09-13, 10:54 AM
vasy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMY4D
You have a coolant leak. In the few years I have worked for Lexus, I have yet to see a failed thermostat. If I had to bet it's the waterpump.
CMY4D, my observation is that LS460 does not have a metal radiator cap on the radiator itself as most cars do. The cap on the plastic overflow reservoir functions to pressurize the cooling system, thus eliminates the need to have a traditional radiator cap on the radiator itself. But if the cooling system is drained such as when replacing coolant as a routine maintenance, how do you refill the cooling system with new coolant? Simply dumping coolant to the plastic reservoir won't direct the coolant to the radiator, will it? I think the reservoir cap is at a lower point than the top of the radiator but I might be wrong. I assume you're a Lexus tech and hope you can shed some light. Thanks.
Old 01-09-13, 11:02 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by vasy
CMY4D, my observation is that LS460 does not have a metal radiator cap on the radiator itself as most cars do. The cap on the plastic overflow reservoir functions to pressurize the cooling system, thus eliminates the need to have a traditional radiator cap on the radiator itself. But if the cooling system is drained such as when replacing coolant as a routine maintenance, how do you refill the cooling system with new coolant? Simply dumping coolant to the plastic reservoir won't direct the coolant to the radiator, will it? I think the reservoir cap is at a lower point than the top of the radiator but I might be wrong. I assume you're a Lexus tech and hope you can shed some light. Thanks.
I'm no Lex tech, but if it was me I'd start filling the rad up from the bleed screw located in front of the top radiator hose.

It's not a massive hole once you remove the screw, but you could easily fit a decent size funnel in there.
Old 01-10-13, 08:06 AM
gs4mock2
Rookie

they did it for free for me too,under the 6years ,70000 miles warranty,,got it back the same day
Old 01-17-14, 11:48 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

did you ever find the problem, I think we have a problem on hand that seems to match everyone description.

On the ISF there is a transfer pipe to the heat exchange (same like the LS460) seems to be a small leak from there making all this pink crust under the intake manifold.. It leaks so slowly that you don't see it anywhere on the floor.

ISF uses the same engine as ls460 just tuned.... in the F section we are talking about the same problem.
Old 01-17-14, 12:38 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by zazzn
did you ever find the problem, I think we have a problem on hand that seems to match everyone description.

On the ISF there is a transfer pipe to the heat exchange (same like the LS460) seems to be a small leak from there making all this pink crust under the intake manifold.. It leaks so slowly that you don't see it anywhere on the floor.

ISF uses the same engine as ls460 just tuned.... in the F section we are talking about the same problem.
No I never really got to the bottom of it to be honest. I thought at first it was due to a low coolant level but I think my car has a natural coolant level just above the -low- mark. I can top it up every day and it goes back to -low- or leave it months and it stays in the same place.

Do you have a link to the ISF thread so I can follow?

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (08-06-20)
Old 01-19-14, 01:12 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

so are we certain its the waterpump? i'm having the same issue regardless of engine temp or runtime it only blows warm while car is in motion (for 5 mins or more) cars never overheated or had any temp issues..only noticed a week or so ago as its not usually cold in fl...now i'll need to address it..wife was in the car yesterday we drove around all morn (with heat) stop at buddies to look at his car (an hr later with her inside the car and engine running it was ice cold) drove off and boom heat again......waterpumps cheap enough but i wanna know for certain thats the issue
Old 01-19-14, 01:40 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn

It's based on the 460 but not the same engine in a lot of respects. The engine in the 600h is closer to what is in the ISF.
Old 01-19-14, 01:43 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms2
No I never really got to the bottom of it to be honest. I thought at first it was due to a low coolant level but I think my car has a natural coolant level just above the -low- mark. I can top it up every day and it goes back to -low- or leave it months and it stays in the same place.

Do you have a link to the ISF thread so I can follow?

Cheers
It's very difficult to know if the car is leaking coolant by looking at the coolant reservoir until it is near empty.
Old 08-06-20, 12:41 AM
steedls400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I don't know much about this so I hope that I am telling you right. That nylon tank that you refer to as the "coolant resevoir" is the equivalent of the coolant resovoir that is the upper part of more conventional radiators. And the cap on that tank is equivalent to the radiator cap that we see on older models. If your cap is missing then it is unlikely that your car can contain the coolant when it heats up. The cap is designed to provide pressurization, which increases the boiling point, for the coolant when it gets hot and prevents a vacuum when the coolant cools, just like the radiator caps of old. If your cap is missing then that will be a problem. And if some sort of cap has been substituted then that will be a problem. The cap has a definite "click" when it is correctly tightened and that is important. Just like the older radiators, you should only remove the cap when the car is cold and you should only add liquid when the car is cold.

Such sound advice. I just DIY replaced the thermostat and radiator assembly in my 2007 LS460. First DIY! All OEM parts. Searching the forums to find tips, hints, troubleshooting. Thanks for the in depth informative descriptions. Gold mine for a fan like me.
Old 08-06-20, 12:44 AM
steedls400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY4D
Interesting... Car over heated here in the AZ summer 06/2020. Dealing service said needs new thermostat and radiator. 2007 LS460 127k... Just wrapped the DIY. Test driving tomorrow.

Quick Reply: C...c...COLD! My LS460 doesnt heat up