LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Latest TSB for AWD models with vibration between 30-75MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 06:40 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Latest TSB for AWD models with vibration between 30-75MPH

Those with AWD model LS's and shuddering transmissions. This is for you.
Don't go into the dealership barking orders. Just mention that you "think" your car is suffering from this condition and that you would like it checked. Certain conditions have to be met with the vehicle so plan on leaving it with the dealer for the day if possible. It has to be driven with the scan tool connected and recording live data. So this is NOT something you want to drop-in unannounced for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lsb001312.pdf (1.27 MB, 794 views)

Last edited by Road Rage; 09-10-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 02:37 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Those with AWD model LS's and shuddering transmissions. This is for you.
Don't go into the dealership barking orders. Just mention that you "think" your car is suffering from this condition and that you would like it checked. Certain conditions have to be met with the vehicle so plan on leaving it with the dealer for the day if possible. It has to be driven with the scan tool connected and recording live data. So this is NOT something you want to drop-in unannounced for.

This is great news. Unfortunately I will not be able to have this checked out on my 2011 until I return from travelling in late October but I sure have my fingers crossed that this just might be the solution all the owners with this problem have been hoping for.

Road Rage - Thanks so much for posting this info. I have to assume you are in a delicate position being associated with Lexus and sharing so much with us. If this TSB does solve the problem is there a way we can get the message to Lexus telling them of the great service you provide owners like us without getting you in hot water?

Last edited by edarte; 09-11-12 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 10:51 AM
edarte
Pole Position

I have just had this TSB applied to my 2011 LS and I am feeling pretty confident that this finally fixes the AWD transmission vibration problem. On inclines at speeds around 60 MPH under slight acceleration I would get quite severe vibration that was even noticeable to passengers. After this TSB was applied I could not detect any vibration.

I think I need take more time to be sure this is a permanent fix because when I first picked up this 2011 I could not feel any vibration but after about 4000 miles the car was vibrating worse than my 2009. I suspect that this was a result of changes to the transmissions's shifting algorithm after "learning" my driving behavior.

But if this fix does work it will have solved a problem that has plagued my ownership experience since June 2010.

Many thanks again to Road Rage for posting this TSB
Old 04-16-15, 09:40 PM
tetontromp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration not yet fixed

I'm new to this thread, but have been researching this problem recently. I've bought a CPO 2011 LS460 AWD about a year ago (52 K when purchased), and it has the exact same 35-40 MPH shudder/vibration problem (unfortunately not noticed on my test drive).

My dealer first replaced the front half-shafts (CV joints) -- no improvement. Then performed the ECM TSB after I found it referenced in this thread -- but it didn't fix the problem (i've wondered if they performed the software change correctly, but they claim so). They've also ruled out the tires/wheels. Will be bringing in the Lexus rep next. Probably look at the rear driveshaft, etc, next. Thanks for all your posts, and I would appreciate any more ideas. It seems I have to bring all the potential solutions to my dealer's attention.

Very disappointing. I had a 2002 LS 430 for a decade -- an incredible car. Sad to discover how far Lexus has fallen, and very disappointing that Lexus has been so slow to remedy a huge flaw no one would accept in a $20,000 car let alone a top-of-the-line Lexus!
Old 04-17-15, 08:23 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tetontromp
I'm new to this thread, but have been researching this problem recently. I've bought a CPO 2011 LS460 AWD about a year ago (52 K when purchased), and it has the exact same 35-40 MPH shudder/vibration problem (unfortunately not noticed on my test drive).

My dealer first replaced the front half-shafts (CV joints) -- no improvement. Then performed the ECM TSB after I found it referenced in this thread -- but it didn't fix the problem (i've wondered if they performed the software change correctly, but they claim so). They've also ruled out the tires/wheels. Will be bringing in the Lexus rep next. Probably look at the rear driveshaft, etc, next. Thanks for all your posts, and I would appreciate any more ideas. It seems I have to bring all the potential solutions to my dealer's attention.

Very disappointing. I had a 2002 LS 430 for a decade -- an incredible car. Sad to discover how far Lexus has fallen, and very disappointing that Lexus has been so slow to remedy a huge flaw no one would accept in a $20,000 car let alone a top-of-the-line Lexus!

Well it has been well over two years since I had this specific TSB applied and, while the symptoms have improved, the fix is not perfect. I still feel the shudder sometimes (again only on uphill mild acceleration) but it is definitely better. I do suspect that the fix has caused a drop in gas mileage though.

I am convinced that the 8-speed transmission just does not work well with AWD. I think it is telling that for both the new RC and GS they come only with a six speed transmission if they are AWD.