LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Performance Brake Rotors & Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 10:28 AM
Amai21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance Brake Rotors & Pads

I recently purchased and installed premium slotted/drilled rotors with premium semi metallic brake pads from Performancebrake.com. I am having issues with grinding split second before I come to a stop, and instantly right after I let off the brake pedal. Besides that everything is great. I have made sure that everything is greased properly , and installed a new brake hardware kit. Any thoughts, on how I can get rid of this annoying grind?

I spoke to a representative at performance brake and they are willing to send me another set of brake pads. I was thinking of telling them to send me the premium ceramics instead. They recommend not to run ceramics on slotted rotors?? Does that sound about right?
Old 08-23-12, 10:51 AM
Amai21
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention that I also have a light fluttering noise coming from the rotors while driving with no brakes applied. They say that is normal due to the slots. ??
Old 08-23-12, 11:09 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I had akebono proact ceramics on my acura tl with slotted rotors and it was the best combo I have ever had..no dust, good performance, no noise at all
Old 08-23-12, 11:10 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Metallic pads will do that. Use ceramic pads, they will stop faster and less brake dust. Go with Akebono, they are the best and price is not bad.
Old 08-23-12, 12:26 PM
Amai21
Driver School Candidate

Will that be okay with the drilled/slotted rotors? I was thinking the same, but Performancebrake has a different opinion.
Old 08-23-12, 12:55 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They will be fine! I've been around some many rotors and pads all my life. A friend of mine dads use to own a manufacturing business that make auto parts.
Old 08-23-12, 02:49 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Amai21
Will that be okay with the drilled/slotted rotors? I was thinking the same, but Performancebrake has a different opinion.
Guess you missed my earlier reply ...ceramics and slotted/drilled won't be an issue at all
Old 08-23-12, 05:54 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes they ship these rotors with a coating on them that needs to be thoroughly clean before installation.
Old 11-09-12, 06:04 PM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@Amai21

Any update on the pads and rotors?

I'm needed to replace mine...
Old 11-10-12, 11:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If its brake performance I had the same grinding issue and a weird whirling noise as I came to a stop from high speed. I am still so pissed about it. I spent the money for the parts, payed the labor to have it installed then had to pay to have the crap parts removed and the oem stuff reinstalled. I just cleaned out my garage to have the floors epoxied and I found the parts. Dont have the stomach to toss it but Im not putting that **** on my car again. I guess its final! Avoid brake performance brake rotors and pads.
Old 11-12-12, 06:15 AM
NobleSpine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on recommendations on this forum, I have Akebono pads installed and rotors resurfaced, it is better than before but I do have some whirling noise when coming to a stop. Disappointed little bit and thinking of going OEM for both pads and rotors at once and elimate the issue. Does anyone know the total cost of parts and labor for OEM at dealer?
Old 11-12-12, 06:44 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been using mine (premium brakeperformance with posi ceramic pads) for a little more than 2yrs and 50,000 miles, and here is my experience:

- When I installed them, I was told by few people that I should brake gently for the 1st 500 miles (I think nospinzone said something to this effect but I can't be sure). Braking gradually evolved to its current performance through the 1st 1,000 miles and remained the same ever since.

- When I drive beside a wall or a barrier with a window pulled down, I can hear some noise echoing from the wall/barrier I'm driving by. When I pull up the window, the noise is gone. That's not even something I'd ever invest a thought in, let alone invest emotions.

- After releasing the brake pedal at a complete stop, I hear a mild click from the brake. Not sure what's causing it, but I never thought of it as annoying. But I thought I would report it anyways.

- Lately, I'd hear a one-click noise upon braking and minor vibration in the front end of the car. I resurfaced the rotors, replaced the arms, shock absorbers, struts...etc and the noise and vibration disappeared. Not sure what solved what and how.

- Finally, what makes me quite forgiving with the shortcomings of these rotors & ceramic pads is 3 things: a) noticeably improved braking performance over stock, b) zero black dust on the rims even with days and days without cleaning, and c) longevity and longer resurfacing/replacement intervals

I know that everyone has a certain limit of forgiveness toward these little things (that can arguably be big things given its an LS460), but I think mine happens to be quite ample.

18ABMR: If I ever come across someone who wants yours or if I need to replace mine, would you be willing to sell them? Assuming they're in factory condition.

Last edited by JFNash; 11-12-12 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 06:03 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like going OEM is the safe bet.
Old 11-13-12, 10:57 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds more like they just need to be broken-in more and were not bed properly...

more on this in our FAQ's if you care to look.