LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 06:30 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts
Default New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!

no need anymore to add an expensive alarm to get remote start (just use an RSR ready bypass mod) Xpresskits DBALL can integrate w the oem fob an allow for remote start by pressing the lock button on the fob 3x.. if u wish to extend the range u may opt for a range extender (which mates to a classic alarm remote for up to a mile of range) or smart start (service fees apply) which uses ur smart phone to give u unlimited range (as long as u have cell signal) ive since added the bluetooth mod as well as smart start (and the full function alarm for added protection and soon some extra output options).. the factory proximity sensor still functions also.. so no need to fumble for keys.. it even shows DTC's.. which is awesome

here are a few video links explaining whats already avail as well as some soon to be released products

http://www.youtube.com/user/DirectedCES2012/videos
Old 08-21-12, 06:36 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

to find out if your car/truck has an RSR or RXT option goto www.xpresskit.com enter yr make model an look for the RSR or RXT logo in the feature description list
Old 08-22-12, 03:02 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no idea what most of the stuff on the sight means or does. But I am very interested in starting my engine as I walk up to the car.
Old 08-22-12, 08:34 AM
NobleSpine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah mee too, would love to get remote starter, if it integrates intot he OEM remote. Has anyone done it?
Old 08-22-12, 08:41 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shibumi1 Was it easy to install the remote start. That's all I am interested in. Also does everything from factory work the same as before?

Thanks in advanced
Old 08-22-12, 08:44 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NobleSpine
yeah mee too, would love to get remote starter, if it integrates intot he OEM remote. Has anyone done it?
In Japan, there is an option to have OEM remote start (along with many other options not available to the US market)

As far as I remember, I think some people in the US have been able to obtain this remote, but none have successfully installed it.
Old 08-22-12, 09:20 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Why would you want a remote that can't be functional when there is an option like above available using the stock remote. I am very interested in seeing how the stock remote works with the module above. Waiting on Shibumi1 feedback.
Old 08-22-12, 11:33 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

So..when you installing mine lol..I'll be there in Oct lol
Old 08-22-12, 11:41 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Here is a link to a video I found using the factory remote and Dball module.

Old 08-22-12, 06:47 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

most of that stuff adds on to the dball.. but the dball controls all the functions in the remote start process...yes all the factory functions remain the same except when u press the oem fob lock button 3 times.. the car will start.. or option 2 would be lock, unlock, lock to remote start... the dball itself doesnt cost much $60.. but u need a certified dei installer to flash an install it in the car.....

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-22-12, 06:49 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

@CJITTY... jus lemme know when ur comin i keep dballs @ the ready... but ur buying lunch... (ask mike) lol

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-23-12, 06:39 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I placed my order for one yesterday, I am excited and can't wait to get the module up and running. Package should arrive on or before Monday Aug. 27th.

I am going to try an install it myself, according to the install manual listed on their site. It is pretty much plain and simple install, I counted about 7 wires total and D2D method.

THANKS Shibumi1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-12, 11:15 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

I had this installed a few months ago.

My biggest concern having this installed was that after doing a remote start, the engine would stop once you unlocked/opened the vehicle. The installer told me he thought that the remote start could be tricked into continuing to run after unlocking/opening the door. However, this changed once I added SmartStart.

Apparently one used D2D and the other W2W. By adding SmartStart (according to the installer), this removed the capability of tricking the car to continue running after unlocking/opening the vehicle.

Is anyone aware of remote start working past unlocking/opening the doors on a '12 LS and/or does SmartStart change this?

I don't use the remote start feature much and the SmartStart even less. However, I do enjoy having both for those rare occassions where I benefit from a remote/smart start (cooling down a hot car, for example). If I was able to start the car as I walk up to it, and keep it running after I step into the car, then I would likely benefit much more than I do now.....
Old 08-23-12, 09:32 PM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh...although I'm still in the market for a 2010 LS and dont have it just yet.. I sure wasnt aware of this product...now i gotta have it too...I would really like to hear from others who may have it. I wanna know what happens if it fails? I wonder if it would affect the car at all..

BTW - I think the deal for the smartstart subscription at $99 for 3 years aint bad if you really are gonna use it
Old 08-24-12, 08:50 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by bezee
Sheesh...although I'm still in the market for a 2010 LS and dont have it just yet.. I sure wasnt aware of this product...now i gotta have it too...I would really like to hear from others who may have it. I wanna know what happens if it fails? I wonder if it would affect the car at all..

BTW - I think the deal for the smartstart subscription at $99 for 3 years aint bad if you really are gonna use it
Here is what I know, as well as my own experiences....

DEI manufactures the parts for the 3 major remote start/security system products used as after market; Viper, Python and Clifford. I think this was a result of DEI acquiring its competitors over the years.

You can get a remote start that is designed to work short range (i.e. walking up to the vehicle), with a range of up to 1 mile using (still affected by walls and electronics between you and the car, but less so than the short range option), and via SmartStart

SmartStart is a cellular device that operates with an app (BlackBerry, IO5, and Android). It requires activation. I believe its $50/yr. or you can subscribe for 3 years at $100.

If your battery goes completely dead, then remote start will fail after you restore the battery charge. The installer can flash the unit with the necessary settings to get it operating properly.

It is my understanding that remote start on Toyota/Lexus models using the wireless keys will operate, but shut off after opening/unlocking the door. I would be interested if anyone has had a different experience. I know with other auto manufacturers, like Cadillac for instance, the remote start allows you to get inside the vehicle and a short amount of time to engage the wireless key to keep the car running.

The OEM key fob start feature (3 lock presses) does not function if you have SmartStart. My installer indicated that with the remote start via the 3 lock press of the OEM key fob would allow you to trick the car to continue running until you get inside the vehicle, but SmartStart required a connection that voided this ability. I believe it was either using D2D or W2W - only one or the other can be used with DBALL - not both.

For some certain circumstances, there are some nice features for having SmartStart, like scheduling your car to start on some regular basis to keep the battery charged (like if you store a car for a long period) or to keep the engine warm in cold climates where freezing conditions might compromise a good start.

SmartStart can also advise of current status; like if your car is running, security armed, etc.

You can use SmartStart to help you remember where you parked your car by storing a photo or, if added, by GPS location.

Comes with a 3 year warranty.

No functionality that comes standard with the car is compromised and, if SmartStart is not installed, can be incorporated into the OEM key fob.

In my opinion, remote start is a novelty. The greatest convenience I get out of this is if I am at the airport and returning to a parked car that has been sitting out in the elements, I can use SmartStart (and often the 1 mi range on the after market key fob) to start my car in advance and have it cooled down when I get to it. You could also apply to a similar circumstances, like being at a ball game for a number of hours, and remotely start/cool down your vehicle as you hike back to your car. Otherwise, I don't find many other conveniences that I couldn't live without.

While I could seeing bypassing the SmartStart option altogether, in my case, it was what I needed the most (the ability to start the car from a long distance, and the status indicator is also nice). I just couldn't see the benefit to starting the car as I approached it on foot, only to have to restart the car again once I got inside. The benefit to me was cooling down (I live in a warm climate, but would apply to warming up in a cold climate) well in advance of getting to my car.

I hope this information is helpful to others.

Last edited by MarkGS; 08-24-12 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!