LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 10:02 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
do u have Smart Start Gps? on mine(gps secure plan) it shows under the CARS button.. choose a car (if u have more than 1). look in the Set Alerts subheading .. options:SPEED,LOCKDOWN,SMARTFENCE,HOTSPOT & LOW BATTERY..

if ur battery is dying overnight regularly.. i suggest replacing it..(recharging rarely works once a batts gone dead lower than 60%)if it does hold a charge the new full charge point is about only 80% of true full.. then it becomes easier and easier to die. i suggest an optima red top batt (1000cca)
I don't have SmartStart GPS, just SmartStart. I did call Viper and they thought my system should have low battery alert, but they never got back with a confirmation. I suspect I will need SmartStart GPS.

My battery was replaced, then that one eventually failed. Lexus has tried to monitor my car overnight for some draw on the battery, but nothing was found. I may pursue the battery alert feature for this reason.
Old 09-02-12, 10:07 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by New to IS3
I think I have found a way to remote start and bypass the module to keep the car running even after the doors are open. I will need to test my theory first... wish me luck.

What I have is the module on factory fob key, NOT smart start
Good luck. I hope you are successful.

BTW - your hunch in finding a way to bypass the shut down is in line with what my installer indicated. He believed he could trick the remote start into continuing to run after door open/unlock. However, that theory died when I included SmartStart because of the wiring scheme.

I would still be interested to hear what you learn.
Old 09-02-12, 03:51 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by linus73
you might be mistaken! the car will not shut down at all when remote started and keyfob not detected after unlock! like i said before i can leave my keyfob at home and only use my phone via smartstart , once the car is started it will stay running without the keyfob . trust me, i know what im doing here, . im refering to an alarm w/remote start not just a bypass only and used as the remote start with 3 pulse..i agree if you use a bypass only as a remote start that there is no takeover, i have yet to see it happen even with an idatalink.but if with a full alarm and rs then yes takeover is possible.i have been installing since 1993. maby the crappy dei expresskit module is to blame, but i only use the idatalink because they never fail, work all the time and dont loose programming like expresskit does. ive had to repair so many other shops installs because they use those expresskits. maby if u are in chicago sometime or know someone in chicago you can stop by and ill prove to you that i dont need a keyfob whatsoever to start my car and drive away. it has nothing to do with the firmware, im not saying all cars will work like mine, but if its an 08 is then yes it will if you use the idatalink regardless of firmware. start using idatalink modules, takeover is possible on many vehicles but not all. i love viper products but when it comes to a bypass module there is nothing that comes closer to idatalink or will be better than it. w2w is always better than d2d because sometimes there is comunication issues and most definitely issues with takeover when in d2d, i know because i used to install always using d2d untill i figured out why some cars dont stay running when atemptemting the takeover after remote start. i usually install 3-6 remote starters w/alarms a day in the winter time and i never ever have had issues with installations, takeovers, or not even a single return because of the car doesnt start the first time in the cold mornings when i used an idatalink bypass, i love it when the other shops near me try to beat my prices, sometimes they do! but in the end i am the one who fixes all of the stupid mistakes that these hack shops do, the brain units are clearly visable under the dash, messy wiring with barely any tape and not even soldered, cheap bypass kits and most of the time a 2nd key under the dash because they dont know what they are doing. im so good at what i do that a few shops in my area send me the installs after they sell a unit because my installations are flawless, everything works as it should and i dont get any comebacks. i must be doing something right to have the best reviews for a shop like mine. now im not trying to promote myself or shop and im not even going to mention the shop name, once again takeover is possible on most of the cars, even 2012 and 2013 cars, you just need to use the right parts! everyone thinks oh viper is the best and and the expresskits are made by same co. so they must be the best too. yeh ok! prove me wrong.....oh and by the way if u use an idatalink bypass as the remote starter with the 3 lock pulses , you can program the module to keep the car running for up to 35 mins, not 15 like expresscrap

not to question the yrs of knowledge u have.. but i have been installing since 1988... either way..
i use both dei and idatalink (actually i had the ads al ca in my car 1st) the dball works better.( the w2w does work better for a non dei products trying to work with dei products. but the dball being already in a dei firmware there are no d2d issues).small fyi directed is the single largest alarm & integration bypass mod manufacturer ..its a lil easier to go across the hall and test your bypass mod with the alarm in question as they are both being built than it is to backwards engineer it 6months later..also its an easier integration to the smart start..

yes there are a few better features in the idatalink.. but as to save must CL members with the LS bodystyle (an other models that are RSR/RXT compliant) the need for a full blown alarm (which u need in the IS) i told them about the dball as its a direct plug into smart start.. an all that, that includes.. it allows for direct upgrades to all dei products..in a plug an play fashion.. now there is now easy way to bypass all the door triggers in the LS.. even with the idatalink it clearly says NO TAKEOVER AVAILABLE.. UPON OPENING DOORS VEHICLE WILL SHUTDOWN...2nd ALL DOORS MUST BE CLOSED TO REMOTE START VEHICLE... so comparing your IS to our LS is a moot point... because the options available to u arent avail to us...(alarm or no).. unless a customer wants to spend twice the labor to do a full hardwire..vs a 7 wire hookup for a dball and 30sec plug an play for a smart start.. the purpose of this thread was to inform owner w/compatible vehicles of the RSR or RXT firmware (which your model car isnt)

but yes you are correct the idatalink ads-al-ca will also work as a second option to give LS owners remote start thru the oem fob with no need to purchase a full blown alarm...

but there is no direct plug avail (yet) that will connect to a smart start if they so choose to upgrade. which i think most will to increase range of the oem fob and add extra security for a minimum of expense..

lastly its funny you say that other shops send you work to repair.. (while i combat that by subcontracting to about 75% of the highend shops in the orlando area and doing the work onsite the right way the 1st time) as to eliminate shoddy workmanship an leaving a positive experience in the minds of the customers.. theres nothing worse than having an 80k car hacked up an the shop blaming the product rather than the installer in their bay..
Old 09-02-12, 04:10 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MarkGS
Good luck. I hope you are successful.

BTW - your hunch in finding a way to bypass the shut down is in line with what my installer indicated. He believed he could trick the remote start into continuing to run after door open/unlock. However, that theory died when I included SmartStart because of the wiring scheme.

I would still be interested to hear what you learn.
its not likely to work as the dball talks directly to the oem cpu.. the only way i could possibly think of is to bypass all 4dr trigger wires to the ecm.. now that leaves u completely unprotected as there is no impact sensor in the oem security system( which would be bypassed anyway because the engine is running).. so ANYONE can break the window open the door an drive off with your car... is the having to restart the car that hard? i've been doin in now for a few months an its no biggie.. not nearly as bad as getting into a cars interior thats a 100+ degrees with black leather..

but i've never been one to follow the rules (i'm still known to watch a dvd while on a road trip i also have caught myself slightly exceeding the posted speed limit LMAO...) so GOOD LUCK!!!! lemme know how it goes.. those of u that are serious about this.. if u can find a canmax400dei it will offer the takeover option BUT it will only plug into a last gen dei alarm (actually 2 generations ago now)
Old 09-02-12, 04:15 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MarkGS
I don't have SmartStart GPS, just SmartStart. I did call Viper and they thought my system should have low battery alert, but they never got back with a confirmation. I suspect I will need SmartStart GPS.

My battery was replaced, then that one eventually failed. Lexus has tried to monitor my car overnight for some draw on the battery, but nothing was found. I may pursue the battery alert feature for this reason.
i'll chk with one of my customers this week that has smart start w/o gps to see if they have the low batt option... also try uninstalling the smart start version u have and reinstall it so u have the most up to date version..that could be the problem too... new versions are constantly coming out so i check periodically for updates...
Old 09-05-12, 06:36 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update - bypassing the door triggers does keep the engine running. The bypass only allows you to keep the engine running when the doors are opened but as soon as you step on the brake pedal the car shuts down. The only other way to bypass it from what I can think of is to hard wire and use an aftermarket alarm system, which I can careless for at this point. I love my Lexus key fob!!!

My search for entering a car that is running while using remote start on factory key fob is over... A little disappointment but overall, the dball module is still a great buy!
Old 09-05-12, 10:23 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff to know ^^^^^ mine should be in today hopefully. I need to find a pllace that will know how to install it though. Would a Best Buy car shop be out of the question? Lol
Old 09-05-12, 02:28 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I am not sure if best buy would do it. Most car audio dealers should be able to install it with ease. But what I had notice when I called two car audio dealers around here, they told me it is not possible to install just that module to work with factory fob key. They said it require other components and would not quote me without looking at the car. That was when I decided to take the install in my own hands.
Old 09-05-12, 02:49 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Do you mind PMing me the exact instructions? I might not be able to do it myself, but maybe a local friend can help me. Thanks!
Old 09-05-12, 03:37 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
not to question the yrs of knowledge u have.. but i have been installing since 1988... either way..
i use both dei and idatalink (actually i had the ads al ca in my car 1st) the dball works better.( the w2w does work better for a non dei products trying to work with dei products. but the dball being already in a dei firmware there are no d2d issues).small fyi directed is the single largest alarm & integration bypass mod manufacturer ..its a lil easier to go across the hall and test your bypass mod with the alarm in question as they are both being built than it is to backwards engineer it 6months later..also its an easier integration to the smart start..

yes there are a few better features in the idatalink.. but as to save must CL members with the LS bodystyle (an other models that are RSR/RXT compliant) the need for a full blown alarm (which u need in the IS) i told them about the dball as its a direct plug into smart start.. an all that, that includes.. it allows for direct upgrades to all dei products..in a plug an play fashion.. now there is now easy way to bypass all the door triggers in the LS.. even with the idatalink it clearly says NO TAKEOVER AVAILABLE.. UPON OPENING DOORS VEHICLE WILL SHUTDOWN...2nd ALL DOORS MUST BE CLOSED TO REMOTE START VEHICLE... so comparing your IS to our LS is a moot point... because the options available to u arent avail to us...(alarm or no).. unless a customer wants to spend twice the labor to do a full hardwire..vs a 7 wire hookup for a dball and 30sec plug an play for a smart start.. the purpose of this thread was to inform owner w/compatible vehicles of the RSR or RXT firmware (which your model car isnt)

but yes you are correct the idatalink ads-al-ca will also work as a second option to give LS owners remote start thru the oem fob with no need to purchase a full blown alarm...

but there is no direct plug avail (yet) that will connect to a smart start if they so choose to upgrade. which i think most will to increase range of the oem fob and add extra security for a minimum of expense..

lastly its funny you say that other shops send you work to repair.. (while i combat that by subcontracting to about 75% of the highend shops in the orlando area and doing the work onsite the right way the 1st time) as to eliminate shoddy workmanship an leaving a positive experience in the minds of the customers.. theres nothing worse than having an 80k car hacked up an the shop blaming the product rather than the installer in their bay..
well said, i was not saying other shops send me thier repair work, i meant to say when someone gets a bad install and goes back for repairs they refuse to fix it and say its not thier own fault, so the customer gets frustrated and finds me and i always find the issue to be a bad install and loose wires.
Old 09-05-12, 05:21 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

@ New to IS3, i'd be careful bypassing the brake bcuz the firmware in the dball is set to shut off after 15mins.. dont wanna know what would happen if u were driving at speed an lost all power in the car..

@ adamls2 , best buy will only install what they sell...no outside products.. (as long as the dball is flashed in the RSR firmware (u need to pick a remote option i use smart start even if theres not 1 in the car) it will work with the remote.
footnote: if u wanna drive to orl i'll do it for you..

@ linus73 , sorry for the misunderstanding.. keep up the good work....
Old 09-06-12, 06:20 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Shibumi1;7467227]@ New to IS3, i'd be careful bypassing the brake bcuz the firmware in the dball is set to shut off after 15mins.. dont wanna know what would happen if u were driving at speed an lost all power in the car..

You are correct about the dball is set to shut down after 15mins but it is also set to where if the car is in motion, it will not shut down and the car dball is disable. I am not trying to bypass the brake, i just want the car to keep running when the doors are open so I can still have the AC on during the summer while loading my kids in the car and I do want it to shut down when I press on the brake so that no one can steal the car. I like the dball security on the brake, just not the door part.

@ adamls2 , best buy will only install what they sell...no outside products.. (as long as the dball is flashed in the RSR firmware (u need to pick a remote option i use smart start even if theres not 1 in the car) it will work with the remote.
footnote: if u wanna drive to orl i'll do it for you..

Correction - If you have the dball flashed in the rsr frimware for the LS460, you do not need to pick up any remote or smart start remote. Just you factory Lexus fob key will work perfectly fine. After the install you will need to program the dball to code you key and that is it. Programing the dball to the key is only 3 steps.
Old 09-06-12, 11:28 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

I think he knows it works with the oem fob, he's just saying that if I wanna do it at best buy they'll make me buy a aftermarket remote to use it.

Damion, I'll either txt you or pm you. Unfortunately though, I'll be comin down on stockers
Old 09-06-12, 01:28 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adamls2
I think he knows it works with the oem fob, he's just saying that if I wanna do it at best buy they'll make me buy a aftermarket remote to use it.

Damion, I'll either txt you or pm you. Unfortunately though, I'll be comin down on stockers
half right best buy would have to sell you the dball to install it..they wont install it unless its purchased from best buy..

Hit me anytime...
Old 09-11-12, 06:20 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

UPDATE: the DBALL can now be programmed with an engine runtime anywhere from 1 to 60mins..

Quick Reply: New Dei (aka Viper brands) remote start add on!!