LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Traded in my 2008 LS460L for a...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 02:54 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Traded in my 2008 LS460L for a...

...2012 LS460L. Same color - Starfire Pearl and grey interior with birds eye maple wood or whatever that grey stuff is. The only exterior difference, besides the obvious, is the 19" sport wheels are actually shiny chrome (which I like). My 2008 did have the adjustable suspension but I really don't care about that. It also parked itself - which this one does not - but in the almost two years I've owned the car, I have not used it once. So no loss there (to me). Oh and I guess there's no hard drive to store all the music I loaded on and never listened to either...

ANYWAY... I guess there's still no GOOD iPod connectivity. Am I right?

I'm doing a 2 year lease and I'm HOPING the NEXT LS (with an upgraded drive train) will be available by then.

This is my fifth Lexus and my wife replaces her 2010 RX350 in November. She's also replacing her vehicle with the same vehicle - a 2013 RX 350 - but maybe this time an F-Sport or Hybrid (or both, if available).
Old 07-20-12, 03:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

congrats buddy. Thats awesome. Nice choice in vehicles. I have an LS460 and my wife got a Murano LE loaded rather than the 450h I wanted for her . We have family in Nissan corporate and we can get any Nissan ( other than the GTR) for 1500 below invoice with no haggling. I still think i would have rather paid the extra money and have her enjoy the Lexus dealership experience ( just not the idiots at Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ.....the worst Lexus dealership I have ever experienced in my life))
Old 07-20-12, 03:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Congrats on the new LS! How does the iPod connectivity work? Is there a built in dock for an iPod?
Old 07-20-12, 03:25 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you. Here's a before and after. It's pretty nice getting a vehicle below invoice without any haggling. That's a hard deal to pass up. But maybe next time she'll want the nicer service experience. In the end, it's whatever she wants - right?

As for the iPod stuff - I won't know that until I pick up the car tomorrow morning. I don't think anything has changed in those regards, however. I'm pretty sure the LS still doesn't have a good way to connect to an iPod or iPhone other than the auxiliary port...
Attached Thumbnails Traded in my 2008 LS460L for a...-before_after.jpg  
Old 07-20-12, 03:49 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
As for the iPod stuff - I won't know that until I pick up the car tomorrow morning. I don't think anything has changed in those regards, however. I'm pretty sure the LS still doesn't have a good way to connect to an iPod or iPhone other than the auxiliary port...
Congratulations! I believe they all got USB ports starting with MY2010, plus you will also now have bluetooth audio, which is great. This why they dropped the ability to rip CDs onto the hard drive.

FWIW, I used the USB port once or twice on our LX and haven't since. Bluetooth audio controls have come a long way since we first got the LX in 2010. After a couple of software updates (mainly iOS updates), you can now see song information on the NAV display and control (just jumping songs) from the steering wheel, so hooking up to the USB is not as imperative (unless your phone needs a charge too!).

Enjoy your new car!

Last edited by caha14; 07-20-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 03:55 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Congratulations! I believe they all got USB ports starting with MY2010, plus you will also now have bluetooth audio, which is great. I used the USB port once or twice on our LX and haven't since. Bluetooth audio controls have come a long way since we first got the LX in 2010. After a couple of software updates (mainly iOS), you can now see song information on the NAV display and control (just jumping songs) from the steering wheel.

Enjoy your new car!
Wait. Get the FRIG outta here... I can use my steering wheel controls with bluetooth to access the music in my iPhone? Or I can use a USB port to connect, say, a 160gb iPod Classic - and control the music via steering wheel controls and see the information on my navigation screen?!
Old 07-20-12, 03:56 PM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats on the new LS. Those rims are really nice. I like them!
Old 07-20-12, 03:59 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, Rob! I almost bought those wheels for $4k a year ago but now I've got them anyway... That's what caught my eye with this car.

And I just verified what caha14 said - I really can control my iPod via steering wheel controls and actually see the songs on my navigation screen. Now THAT is my favorite reason for upgrading to the 2012... I'm happy.
Old 07-20-12, 04:00 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Wait. Get the FRIG outta here... I can use my steering wheel controls with bluetooth to access the music in my iPhone? Or I can use a USB port to connect, say, a 160gb iPod Classic - and control the music via steering wheel controls and see the information on my navigation screen?!
As Fred G. Sanford used to say, "El Correcto!". With Bluetooth you can only scroll within whatever play mode you set your phone to, but via USB, you can make selections via the NAV screen (for Albums, Artists, etc.).
Old 07-20-12, 04:17 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you. I see. So via bluetooth, I can open up a playlist on my iPhone, start playing and then move to the next track or previous track via steering wheel controls. With the USB port, I can actually do the same PLUS see what I'm doing on the navigation screen. AND charge the iPhone. Cool...
Old 07-20-12, 08:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Any plans to do some bigger wheels ?? The car looks great either way
Old 07-20-12, 08:39 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Any plans to do some bigger wheels ?? The car looks great either way
Nah, I don't want any harsher a ride than I already have. I don't have the adjustable suspension on this one. I'm not sure if that means I have a softer ride or a harsher ride. Honestly, I'd rather have a softer ride than my previous "comfort" setting offered me. When I want to go fast with great handling, I have a ten second Audi to do that with.
Old 07-20-12, 11:21 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

You have the best of both worlds... Bluetooth works great and I keep a 160 gig iPod in the console plugged into the USB port. Also you can use Pandora on your iPhone and the track info shows up on your seen and the steering will controls work. I'm using OS6 on my iPhone, but I think all of that worked in OS5 as well.

There are some issues with bluetooth SIRI... But it's getting better with every revision of IOS
Old 07-21-12, 06:46 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

CONGRATS on your new 460!
Old 07-21-12, 07:08 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgbackes
You have the best of both worlds... Bluetooth works great and I keep a 160 gig iPod in the console plugged into the USB port. Also you can use Pandora on your iPhone and the track info shows up on your seen and the steering will controls work. I'm using OS6 on my iPhone, but I think all of that worked in OS5 as well.

There are some issues with bluetooth SIRI... But it's getting better with every revision of IOS
For now I have an iPhone 4 - not 4s. BUT - I'll be upgrading to the "5" as soon as it comes out. I'll post my experience with Pandora and iOS5 later on today. I haven't picked up the car yet.

Originally Posted by Tee
CONGRATS on your new 460!
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Traded in my 2008 LS460L for a...