LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 09:51 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vip auto salon's 600h is also on aftermarket air (UAS bags IIRC). from what i understand that car throws tons of errors. haven't seen it in person so i don't really know for sure, though
Old 07-03-12, 09:53 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
I've heard several songs in which the "LS450" is mentioned.....exactly what vehicle would that be? Or is this another case of rappers being mathematically challenged?

skip to 1:29

i think that's the only reference i know of to an LS450 -- not sure what 2chainz meant hahaha. he also mentions an audi a8 and audi 5000 (slang for leaving, because of the sudden acceleration problems these cars were associated with haha)
Old 07-03-12, 11:01 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by datplayaz
There's someone out in Hawaii that's using AR on his LWB, Forjworks did the install.]
Here's Shin response to me when I asked him for a LWB AR application:

Originally Posted by Shin@AirRunner
We do have system for LS460L with OEM air suspension.
It's bolt on application, but you will see indicator light stays on.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Shin Okamoto
That being said, that car for sure throws a code. As much as I wanted AR for this car, I will not swap out my entire suspension to have it throw codes. It may not bother some, but for me, I can't even handle the fact that my last set of Weds did not have the TPMS in it.

It's never been a question whether or not the aftermarket air suspension kits are interchangeable between the SWB and LWB, it's what the computer reads as errors are what bothered me.
Old 07-03-12, 11:43 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There's that song by Notorious BIG where he mentions an 'LS 4 and a half' or possibly LX four and a half.

Regardless, did anyone ever make such a vehicle?
Old 07-03-12, 12:00 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
There's that song by Notorious BIG where he mentions an 'LS 4 and a half' or possibly LX four and a half.

Regardless, did anyone ever make such a vehicle?
Biggie died before the LS460 ever came out. Unless he was making a prediction. lol
Old 07-03-12, 12:04 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Here's Shin response to me when I asked him for a LWB AR application:

That being said, that car for sure throws a code. As much as I wanted AR for this car, I will not swap out my entire suspension to have it throw codes. It may not bother some, but for me, I can't even handle the fact that my last set of Weds did not have the TPMS in it.

It's never been a question whether or not the aftermarket air suspension kits are interchangeable between the SWB and LWB, it's what the computer reads as errors are what bothered me.
Brian, aside from the car throwing codes, does it causes any malfunction or functional performance? Or does it just light up like an Christmas tree on the dash?

BTW...are you an engineer?
Old 07-03-12, 12:05 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
All the coilovers will work for swb and lwb cars. It all mounts the same.
If I known this before I would have bought a LWB, I knew I wanted to bag the car and wasn't sure if I could do that with a LWB... I don't mind the lights going off in the cars, cause my car already does that because of the hand control.
Old 07-03-12, 12:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i can't recall but i believe the car lowers by certain amount as soon as it's over certain speed. it's only either or, it doesn't lower the car differently according to speed. this is done by factory air suspension system / ecu. it's not something implemented by aftermarket air controller

as mentioned as well, sport / comfort it's only on the shock dampening settings, nothing to do with air at all. the system avs settings are also available on ls460 with no air

since the factory system goes up and down pretty often (freeway speed, inclination adjustments etc...), that's all within factory spec and accounted for. but as brian mentioned, with "excessive" lowering like with controller, for sure it put more stress on components and struts and wear them out faster. that's just simple physics
Old 07-03-12, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Nat
Brian, aside from the car throwing codes, does it causes any malfunction or functional performance? Or does it just light up like an Christmas tree on the dash?

i am not sure if the performance is affected, but the car is somewhat driven here and there. of course i don't think it was on any extensive drive like from socal to norcal

brian isn't engineer, but he's smarter than a lot of engineers i know, including me (i am one). that always makes me feel very sad
The following users liked this post:
sjlexus460 (07-19-19)
Old 07-03-12, 12:17 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
As far as I know, it will throw a couple codes on every start-up and leaves a couple lights on the dash. My last car had a dash that was lit up like a Christmas tree, and it's just something that I can't stand anymore. I can't see it causing any malfunction/functional performance issues to my understanding.

Originally Posted by Nat
Originally Posted by rominl
brian isn't engineer, but he's smarter than a lot of engineers i know, including me (i am one). that always makes me feel very sad
As humble henry said, no, I'm not an engineer. I'm not smart enough to be one. Just a small business owner and a consultant for real estate development.

Last edited by brianlin87; 07-03-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 02:35 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

As you might imagine, I can't print most of the lyrics here but :

Frank White push the sticks
on the Lexus, LX, four and a half
Bulletproof glass tints if I want some
The following users liked this post:
Swendrick (07-10-18)
Old 07-03-12, 09:28 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

i wonder if there's a fuse you can pull and poof! No more air suspension error code
Old 07-03-12, 09:37 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

This thread is just awesome and I appreciate all the great posts..another question though:

With or without module, when the car is parked.does it maintain the same setting you had regardless of how long car is off? I'm assuming yes but does the compressor/pump periodically come on while car is off?
Old 07-03-12, 09:47 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
This thread is just awesome and I appreciate all the great posts..another question though:

With or without module, when the car is parked.does it maintain the same setting you had regardless of how long car is off? I'm assuming yes but does the compressor/pump periodically come on while car is off?
It remain the same. The compressor does not kick on or off. The height of the car remain the same level.
Old 07-03-12, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CJITTY

yes it will remain at that height. but i guess if you leave it like that for years, the airbag will probably leak some air

Quick Reply: Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here