LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Acoustik DVD headrests

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 07:51 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power Acoustik DVD headrests

I'm thinking of adding these to my LS460L and found people who have used them on other Lexus models but not an LS - has anyone tried them?

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-21-12, 10:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

How do they run the power to them. I think it would be a pretty cool mod, and not nearly as expensive as it was 5 years ago
Old 04-21-12, 10:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just looked them up. They look great. I thought it required for a tech to place the screen into the existing oem head rest. This is really cool. I like the way they have a slot i the side to put the disk in and for only $500-600 for the set I think I may add these as well. Im glad you asked

My concern is the fact that they make generic colors for them so it will not be an exact match to the interior of the car, unless you have black. Grey is safe, but beige is where there will probably be an issue. Some beiges have more yellow or brown than others. Most reviews are good but some complain about the far tilt of the headrest. In the end how many people actually lay their heads on the head rest when they are driving. You could get those Junction produce head rest pillows to compensate

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-21-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-21-12, 01:57 PM
GregCon
Driver

I have black so I should be OK. Besides, I look at a mod like this as something you can reverse later so even if it doesn't match 100% it's OK...I'll keep the stock headrests in a box marked 'Baby Photos' in my walk in closet so my wife is none the wiser.

I think there is already power in the seat that people tap into - probably for the power seat motor. The DVD player uses very low amperage so there's no real chance of damaging anything due to overcurrent.

I have heard some people say, in other Lexus models, that the contour of the headrest does not mimic the stock headrests that closely...again it wouldn't bother me unless they looked really out of place.

I guess I'm mostly curious to know if there are any LS460-particular snags that prevent a trouble free installation*.

*The local big mobile audio store offers these (at a higher price) with their famous "$1 install" but I will do it myself as I require an installation.
Old 04-21-12, 03:13 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You would loose the safety feature of the headrest. Our has some sort of whiplash protection feature that pushes the headrest forward if you get rear ended. also i think the dvd player option wouldn't be needed if you have the ML system. just tap into the ML head unit for the dvd feed
Old 04-21-12, 07:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lbintab
You would loose the safety feature of the headrest. Our has some sort of whiplash protection feature that pushes the headrest forward if you get rear ended. also i think the dvd player option wouldn't be needed if you have the ML system. just tap into the ML head unit for the dvd feed
good point
Old 04-21-12, 08:07 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

few things... 1st: power acoustik is on the low end of the spectrum.. its a decent product,, but remember u get what u pay for.(lifespan about 2yrs before issues pop up)... if ur lucky..
2nd: color match shouldnt be too bad check w/a local upholstery shop an have them dyed to match (locally i get em done for 75pr)
3rd: cant be headrest collision system bcuz the dealer will install rosen or vizualogic units an neither has hc system tech..
lastly if u have the ML system the vaistech ML+ gives u video out to support aftermarket screens...(but a dvd in ea screen saves fighting if u have children of diff ages an or genders)

plz rub the lamp again for another question from the genie...
Old 04-22-12, 12:08 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
3rd: cant be headrest collision system bcuz the dealer will install rosen or vizualogic units an neither has hc system tech..
lastly if u have the ML system the vaistech ML+ gives u video out to support aftermarket screens...(but a dvd in ea screen saves fighting if u have children of diff ages an or genders)

plz rub the lamp again for another question from the genie...
There is an anti-whiplash protection system built into the front headrests. i know of other dealers that offer headrest screens as a dealer after market option but that doesn't change that they are eliminating that safety feature.
Old 04-22-12, 12:11 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Old 04-22-12, 05:03 AM
GregCon
Driver

I'd be willing to lose the headrest safety feature. I've lived this long without it.......

The idea of tying into the ML system is interesting but I am not sure what I would gain...I suspect it would be harder in terms of wiring? Plus, I thought that DVD would only play with the E-brake on? Last, as mentioned, I would lose the ability to play two different DVD's at the same time. There are times when it would be advantageous to have Scooby Doo on the left and X Men on the right.

I wonder if I disconnect the stock headrests would it throw a code?
Old 04-22-12, 07:50 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregCon
I'd be willing to lose the headrest safety feature. I've lived this long without it.......

The idea of tying into the ML system is interesting but I am not sure what I would gain...I suspect it would be harder in terms of wiring? Plus, I thought that DVD would only play with the E-brake on? Last, as mentioned, I would lose the ability to play two different DVD's at the same time. There are times when it would be advantageous to have Scooby Doo on the left and X Men on the right.

I wonder if I disconnect the stock headrests would it throw a code?
Well there has to be an output feed built into the ML system because of the optional flip down DVD system. Now I could be wrong...I don't have that in mine but I assume you can use that feed for it.
Old 04-28-12, 05:27 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lbintab
in what yr did they add the headrest restraint system? because i took apart my 07' seat back to look an there is nothing there.... (the hanging plug is the motor to raise an lower the headrest)
Attached Thumbnails Power Acoustik DVD headrests-p0001_280412.jpg   Power Acoustik DVD headrests-p0003_280412.jpg  
Old 04-28-12, 06:29 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Now you make me wanna check mine out if i have it. but i think i'm going to custom a pair of larger monitors in the seat back panel itself. maybe dual 10in? possibly with a tilt up option. I think that would be slick
This is the back of the front seat of a Rolls Royce
Old 04-29-12, 06:28 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

lol i thought about doin that or makin an ipad mount similar to that..not sure yet...audiovox has a 12v blu-ray player which is a must have now....
Old 04-29-12, 07:17 AM
GregCon
Driver

It takes a lot more guts than I have to start chopping into the seats! That's why I like the headrest mounts....they can be un-done easily.

Quick Reply: Power Acoustik DVD headrests