LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
Old 12-15-14, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

LS NAV System Updating - Some actual Facts ..... and Costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 12:25 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
you can also buy the data systems box directly from japan that prestigious resells without paying prestigious' markup. i saved almost 40% sourcing it myself
And where can I find that? A link would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-12, 12:44 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
And where can I find that? A link would be greatly appreciated.
you can grab it off rakuten or yahoo auctions japan -- rakuten also works with tenso.com which gives you an address to ship the item to, then tenso.com will repackage it and ship it to you via ems. you can look up the application guide at r-spec.com, or just search in rakuten.
Old 02-10-12, 01:17 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is an aftermarket pioneer nav system
this is what the lexus should look like
Attached Thumbnails LS NAV System Updating - Some actual Facts ..... and Costs-avic-z140bh_reg.jpg  
Old 02-10-12, 01:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Ha! See this where personal preference enters the equation. I don't like the look of that screen at all. To me it looks like a kid's video game screen. However, I can definitely see how some people would prefer it.

To each his own!
Old 02-10-12, 01:50 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ikeb
this is an aftermarket pioneer nav system
this is what the lexus should look like
i have that pioneer head unit (the z130bt) in my infiniti and the nav works and looks like crap compared to the lexus.
Old 02-10-12, 09:16 PM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mikey100

NOTE: If you have not yet purchased your LS, (in virtually all cases) and your LS has gone through a Lexus dealer CPO process, the NAV system SHOULD have been updated to whatever update level was in effect at that time, prior to you taking possession of the car.

NAV updates MUST be performed by a dealer. And generally, a dealer wants you to call, make an appointment, drive in, leave your LS, and then return later with a wad of cash to pay for this. Lastly, the NAV System UPDATE was recently “reduced” to only $169.00. But that price, it turns out, is only part of the story.

Hmmm.... I recently (late December) purchased my CPO LS460L from Sewell, here in Texas. I specifically inquired as to whether or not the NAV had been updated to the most recent software, and I was told that it was not. I told them that I expected it to be, and they said that they could do it but that it would cost me. I asked about the price, and I was told it would be $325. I was pretty pissed about it, because I figured for the price I was paying, they should have been updating it. If it is indeed a policy that the dealers should be doing this with CPO cars, then I'm going to raise a little hell to make Lexus or Sewell step up and pay to have it done.
Old 02-11-12, 02:24 PM
ikeb
Driver

i had the x710bt in my 350z and i liked it a lot. The processor was a little slow (i am sure they have upgraded the performance in newer models), but it worked great.

Originally Posted by cheez80
i have that pioneer head unit (the z130bt) in my infiniti and the nav works and looks like crap compared to the lexus.
Old 02-15-12, 09:00 PM
CareyPJ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

reads like lots of work to me.......

L-SB-0183-09

December 7, 2009

HDD Navigation Map Update Process

Introduction

Lexus models equipped with Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Navigation require a Special Service Tool and follow a unique process for updating map points of interest and system software. Instead of individual DVDs installed into the vehicle all Map Data is uploaded directly to the HDD system.

Map Data will be released annually through the direct shipment of two Map Data DVDs to each dealership service manager. The annual Map Data release must then be installed onto the Navigation Update Tool. Individual map updates are then loaded into vehicles with special map security keys. These keys are available through the normal parts ordering system. Keys are loaded onto the Navigation Update Tool through a PC or TIS Techstream unit using software found on the Technical Information System (TIS).

Follow the procedures listed in this bulletin to:

Identify the current version of Map Data on the vehicle and on the Navigation Update Tool.

Load Map Data onto the Navigation Update Tool.

Load map security key(s) onto the Navigation Update Tool.

Connect the Navigation Update Tool to the vehicle and update the Map/System Data to the latest version.

NOTE
In order to perform the procedures outlined in this TSIB, you MUST have completed the setup procedure in TSIB No. L-SB-0180-09, "HDD Navigation Program Setup".

Before performing this procedure, disconnect all other USB peripheral and external storage devices (i.e., USB thumb drives, hard drives, cameras, mice, etc.).

For additional details, refer to the "Navigation Update Tool Operating Manual" on TIS (under Diagnostic / Tools and Equipment / Navigation Update Tools tabs, "Reference Documents").

Warranty Information
Parts Information
Required Tools & Equipment
Version Verification
Checking for Map Data Version on Navigation Update Tool

1.Open the Navigation Programs Installer
When properly installed, the Navigation Programs Installer icon will be found on the TIS Techstream desktop.
If the application is NOT properly installed, refer to TSIB No. L-SB-0180-09, "HDD Navigation Program Setup".
2.Click Version Check on the Navigation Update Tool Main Menu.
3.Connect the Navigation Update Tool.
A.Make sure the USB cable is secured in both the PC and the Navigation Update Tool USB ports.
B.Confirm that the Navigation Update Tool is powered correctly.
C.Turn power ON.
D.Press Continue.
4.Compare the CDDB version with the CDDB version shown on TIS.
NOTE
If the Map version on the Navigation Update Tool is the same as shown on the DVD, then go to the "Security Key Load" section in this TSIB.
If the Map version on the Navigation Update Tool is NOT the same as shown on the DVD, then go to the "Tool Load" section in this TSIB.
Checking Map Data Version on Vehicle HDD Navigation System

NOTE
Prior to connecting to the vehicle you MUST disconnect the Navigation Update Tool from the PC.

1.Turn vehicle ignition ON (engine OFF).
2.From the multi-information display press I Agree.
3.Press the MENU button.
4.From the multi-information display press HDD Data.
5.Compare the Map Data version on the Navigation System to that on the Navigation Update Tool.
NOTE
If the Map version on the Navigation System is the same as shown on the navigation update tool, then the vehicle does NOT need the update.
If the Map version on the Navigation System is NOT the same as shown on the navigation update tool, then go to the "Tool Load" section in this TSIB.

Tool Load

NOTE
There are three separate processes used to update the Map Data on the vehicle:
Loading the Map Data onto the Navigation Update Tool
Loading the Map Data security key onto the Navigation Update Tool
Loading the Map Data into the vehicle HDD Navigation System
If the Map version on the Navigation Update Tool is the same as shown on TIS, then go to the "Security Key Load" section in this TSIB.
If the Map version on the Navigation Update Tool is NOT the same as shown on TIS, then follow the instructions below.
Loading Map Data onto Navigation Update Tool
Before performing this procedure, disconnect all other USB peripheral and external storage devices (i.e., USB thumb drives, hard drives, cameras, mice, etc.).

When properly installed, the Navigation Programs Installer icon will be found on the TIS Techstream desktop.
If the application is NOT properly installed, refer to TSIB No. L-SB-0180-09, "HDD Navigation Program Setup".
2.Select Load Map Data on the Navigation Update Tool Main Menu.
A.Make sure the USB cable is secured in both the PC and the Navigation Update Tool USB ports.
C.Turn power ON.
D.Press Continue.
4.Insert Map Disk 1 into the CD/DVD-ROM drive and press Continue.
5.Allow Map Data to copy onto the PC hard drive (requires about 30 minutes).

If necessary:
Insert the additional Map Disk as instructed into the CD/DVD-ROM drive.
Allow the additional Map Data to copy onto the PC hard drive (requires about 30 minutes).
6.Verify the correct version of Map data to load onto the Navigation Update Tool.
7.Click Continue to load Map Data onto the Navigation Update Tool.
Map Data will then copy to the Navigation Update Tool (requires about 15 minutes).
8.Verify the Map Data is loaded onto the Navigation Update Tool and can now be used to update the vehicle.
Security Key Load
NOTE
In order to load the Map Data onto the vehicle's Navigation System, you MUST load a security key EACH time.

The Navigation Update Tool will hold up to ten security keys. One key is required per vehicle update.
Storing keys on the Navigation Update Tool is NOT recommended.
Map Data MUST be loaded onto the Navigation Update Tool before a Key File can be loaded.
2.Select Load key File on the Navigation Update Tool Main Menu.
C.Turn power ON.
D.Press Continue.
4.Connect USB Key File and press Continue.
5.Click Load to continue.
6.Allow the Key File to copy onto the Navigation Update Tool (requires about 5 seconds).
7.Verify the Key File is loaded onto the Navigation Update Tool and can now be used to update the vehicle.
NOTE
The Navigation Update Tool will hold up to ten security keys. One key is required per vehicle update.
Storing keys on the Navigation Update Tool is NOT recommended.
Vehicle Loading

Loading Map Data onto Vehicle HDD Navigation System

NOTE
The Map Data security key MUST be loaded onto the Navigation Update Tool before Map Data can be loaded to the vehicle.
Prior to connecting to the vehicle you MUST disconnect the Navigation Update Tool from the PC.
Connect the battery charger to the vehicle prior to beginning the process to ensure constant battery voltage.
1.Connect the Navigation Update Tool to the vehicle.
A.Make sure the 1EEE1394 cable is secured in both the Navigation Update Tool and the vehicle connector.
B.Confirm the Navigation Update Tool is powered correctly.
2.Turn vehicle ignition ON (engine OFF).
3.From the multi-information display press I Agree.
4.Press the "MENU" button.
5.From the multi-information display press HDD Data.
6.Press Map Data Update.
7.Press I Agree.
8.Allow Map Data to copy (requires about 25 minutes).
9.Press OK.
10.Disconnect the Navigation Update Tool from the vehicle.
Old 02-15-12, 09:13 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CareyPJ
reads like lots of work to me.......

Agreed, Carey ....... and in the year 2012, there is NO REASON why it should have been designed originally to be that difficult. NONE ...... Whatsoever. All it does is to raise (labor rate{s}) the overall total ridiculous cost of a NAV update. Which was the original point of the thread I started.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian- Lake Oconee, GA
Old 04-18-12, 10:52 PM
mafitch
Driver School Candidate

Suddenly I'm realizing maybe the Mercedes system wasn't so bad. Every two or three years, go buy 2 DVDs for 199 bucks and let them load onto the hard drive in your own garage, no assistance required. Takes about an hour and a half to load two disks, but it's so easy a 6 year old could do it. Tons of new streets, points of interest and other valuable info, not to mention the superior graphics quality and ability to view in 2D, 3D or Bird's eye view.

This is indeed disappointing on a flagship Lexus, especially since I ONLY had a lowly E Class.
Old 04-19-12, 04:07 AM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

i have read this thread with some interest.

A great disappointment to me is that my 2011 ls460 is exactly the same in the nav system as my 2008 ls460

I do not pay for traffic. I did pay originally for the "valet" service that would allow me to call someone to put addresses in my gps instead of getting the prestigious society thing. I have a lease and don't really have time to hook up something in my car and then unhook it in 2 years.

To the argument that the lexus gps is head and shoulders above the competition, I would agree with that in the past, but not anymore.

I drove a audi a8, and the gps was great and also my wife has a bmw 5 series, pretty new, and the gps in that is better as well, and includes traffic.

I think gps' used to be a way to make some extra profit in a car, but once you could get a app for free that does a better job it because difficult to justify.

I don't know if my new car will have a gps in it if they want to charge thousands of dollars, maybe I'll just get a ipad and mount that in the dash.

I hope that lexus is reading this and will improve substantially the gps for the next model. I can afford to pay for good quality, which is why I buy their car, but I don't want to be forced to pay for bad.
Old 04-19-12, 06:33 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 07' LS Nav has never been updated since day one. A couple years ago they built new highways around my home and as old as my Nav is, it does display the new highways. In my opinion, I am still up to date. When I need a POI, I just pull my phone out and speak my interest and the phone display whats around me. Way easier then typing the information in the Nav...

Lets not bash on each other and enjoy what we already have, Driving one of the BEST cars ever made while turning HEADS!
Old 04-19-12, 08:43 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by New to IS3
My 07' LS Nav has never been updated since day one. A couple years ago they built new highways around my home and as old as my Nav is, it does display the new highways. In my opinion, I am still up to date. When I need a POI, I just pull my phone out and speak my interest and the phone display whats around me. Way easier then typing the information in the Nav...

Lets not bash on each other and enjoy what we already have, Driving one of the BEST cars ever made while turning HEADS!
INCREDIBLY well-thought out and composed post. Thanks for sharing what SHOULD have been said a long time ago !!!!

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 04-19-12, 09:58 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

NAV is my only real complaint about Lexus. But as pointed out, some of the German cars are even worse. I use a $35 iPhone TOMTOM app that's touch 'n go easy. I can't understand why the auto makers can't/won't just install something as imple as TOMTOM or GARMIN.
Old 04-19-12, 05:00 PM
Enigma869
Driver

As I've mentioned before, I don't believe this to be a Lexus issue. I haven't seen a single OEM navigation system that I've been remotely impressed with. I think the only solution is to allow for update to include both improved graphics and functionality, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Every Garmin GPS unit I've used has been head and shoulders above any OEM unit. I also own the Pioneer unit pictured in this thread and don't agree that it works like crap. The only thing that is shaky is the voice recognition, but that is shaky in the Lexus too. I have a portable Garmin, but just can't bring myself to use it in the LS460. Luckily, I almost never use the nav and almost always know where I'm going.

John

Quick Reply: LS NAV System Updating - Some actual Facts ..... and Costs