LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ls transmission problem

Old 12-30-11, 07:28 AM
bobbyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls transmission problem

My 2011 LS 460 with 3800 miles on it has a shutter or modulation at about 38 to 40 mph.Transmiision? Any fixes out there or known problems? Great car but this problem is becoming annoying. I haven't had it into the dealer yet, because I would like to have some input from others so they don't just blow me off
Old 12-30-11, 09:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

There is a driveline TSIB on the LS that involves vibration between 55-65mph and a noise while driving. I had mine checked out for it but it turns out its just my wheels. Cant wait to get my new Vossens
Old 01-03-12, 03:17 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made numerous posts on this board and others re. a transmission shudder/hesitation problem I had on my 2009 LS but it was an AWD and, from comments of other owners, I believe this particular problem is restricted to the AWD models.

Lexus put a lot of effort into repairs (transmission, torque converter, engine and transmission computers) but could not solve the problem. To their credit they eventually bought the car back and I got a 2011 AWD.

Sometimes I can still detect the same problem (usually on uphill roads) in the newer car but it is mild. I can easily live with it but the transmission is certainly not as smooth as the one in my 2001 LS 430.

Eight speeds might make for better fuel economy but, in my opinion, the added complexity is not worth it.
Old 01-09-12, 06:57 AM
bobbyc
Driver School Candidate

My LS is a 2011 with AWD and about 4500 miles. I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer for the first time to see if they can correct the problem. I think I'm beginning to notice the same shuddering at around 60 mph. Going uphill or on a flat road doesn't seem to make a difference Thanks for your input
Old 01-10-12, 08:44 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobbyc
My LS is a 2011 with AWD and about 4500 miles. I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer for the first time to see if they can correct the problem. I think I'm beginning to notice the same shuddering at around 60 mph. Going uphill or on a flat road doesn't seem to make a difference Thanks for your input
Well I am sorry to say that I am not optimistic that you will get any satisfaction. Based on my monitoring of this problem for almost two years I have yet to hear about anyone having the problem solved through mechanical adjustments, repairs or component replacement. I am convinced that, at least for the AWD models, there is a basic engineering mismatch between the transmission and the AWD components.

Again Lexus went as far with my car as to replace the transmission/torque converter and computers without any joy. Other owners usually were told there was no problem. I had to document and make my case but Lexus and my dealer came through eventually - to their credit.

I do suspect the main reason I got the buyback was because the Lexus technical rep said in front of me and my friend "If this were my vehicle I would be disappointed in its performance and want it corrected" . The other factor was that I took a lot of time with the car in advance so that I could consistently reproduce the problem. Unless you can consistently demonstrate it to your service people and clearly explain to them what conditions trigger it don't expect them to detect it or take your complaint too seriously.

(For me the car would do it consistently on any uphill and not as often on the level. The car would be moving at 25 - 40 MPH, and I then gave it just slightly more gas. If you don't give it gas or, alternatively, really step on it, there is no hesitation/shudder. I am guessing that a slight gas increase is a problem for their shifting algorithm as it tries to maximize fuel economy)

Anyway I would love to be proven wrong on all this so please post your results with your dealer.
Old 02-17-12, 03:10 PM
bobbyc
Driver School Candidate

Default Trans

Took my 2011 ls awd back to lexus where they performed 3 trans fluid replacements per Lexus protocol. Shuddering problem was still there. Lexus is to replace transmission when it arrives at the dealership in next few days. Got my fingers crossed that will solve the problem.
Old 02-17-12, 03:41 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

wow replacing the transmission at 3.8k miles? You must be brave to agree to doing it.

Wish you the best of luck with getting your car fixed.
Old 02-19-12, 05:55 PM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

Yikes! Let's not jump the gun with the trans just yet. When the shuddering is happening, will it still do it in neutral? If that is the case, the trans is not it. I know a guy who also has an '11 with the same problem. His dealer here in Milwaukee swapped out the rear drive shaft with a car from the lot and the shudder went away. They even let him drive with the donor shaft until his new one came in.
Old 02-20-12, 09:19 AM
bobbyc
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 ls

Great idea to try trans in neutral. Didn't think of that. I 'll give it a try today. I would have thought Lexus would have done it, but who knows.
Old 02-20-12, 05:12 PM
edarte
Pole Position

For my 2009 LS replacing the transmission, torque converter and two computers made zero difference.

When you get the shudder, moving shift lever from Drive to the manual side (e.g., D6, D7 etc) causes shudder to lessen in most cases. On my LS the shudder only happens while under power, backing off the gas causes shudder to go away completely as does shifting to neutral.
Old 02-21-12, 05:59 PM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

A good test would be to accelerate past the speed of the shudder, shift to neutral, and coast through the speed range.
Old 05-19-16, 08:04 PM
snoball
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the shudder ever figured out?? My Gs 460 is doing it now.
Old 05-19-16, 08:10 PM
edarte
Pole Position

For the LS with AWD the problem seems to be caused by the transmission control logic. One or two years back Lexus released a computer fix that does not eliminate the shudder but reduces it considerably in most instances.

But I believe it is really caused by the 8 speed + AWD selecting to high a gear to improve gas mileage.

Not sure what the problem with the GS might be.
Old 05-20-16, 05:25 AM
pa06810
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem. 2011LS 460 AWD. I brought it to the dealer. I was able to take the tech for a ride and duplicate the shutter. They installed a software update, It cured the problem in 8th gear,or while in drive. If I leave it in 7th,6th,or 5th the problem is still there. The software install did a lot for the car, but not enough. I`m making another appointment. Mine happens at 2000 rpm under medium acceleration, up incline. Easy to duplicate. It makes me not like an otherwise wonderful car.
Old 05-20-16, 06:15 AM
snoball
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this thread about acceleration issues which exactly describes my issue. BUT, either I'm reading it wrong or no one has "EXACTLY" pin pointed the problem that causes it. Seems like a Reflash is in my near future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls transmission problem