LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mild grinding noise with Brake Performance brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 12:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Mild grinding noise with Brake Performance brake kit

Hey guys, I installed a set of Brake Performance rotors ( slotted ) with premium ceramic pads and have had a bit of strange stuff going on from day one. When I first got them installed there would be a mild grinding or rough feeling when stopping. It got better over the first couple of day but was still there. I also notice a loud whirling or humming noise when I stop from high speeds. I called brake performance and they saids that it may be that the ceramic pad is to hard for the system. It sounded a little odd. The weather in AZ finally hit 77 yesterday so I have been driving with the windows down and have been noticing more of the grinding sound even when the brakes are not pressed. I am lost . I have an appointment to take the car into Lexus tomorrow but was wondering if anyone may have a clue as to whats going on
Old 10-07-11, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

try this. do a few very hard braking (without locking the brakes) from 70mph down to 10mph, then repeat for about 5-6 times. then roll the car around for 10 mins or so for things to do down. try to roll down windows again and see if you still hear the noise in different braking situations?
Old 10-07-11, 04:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

cool. Thanks Henry. I appreciate your advice . I am to the point where I am about to chalk it up to bad parts and am ready to drop the 1200 for new brakes from Lexus.
Old 10-07-11, 04:42 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sometimes oem is better than aftermarket., did you get slotted and drilled rotors because if so then that is normal, shouldn't matter what the pad material is because it might be that you need to shim your pads...
Old 10-07-11, 04:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
cool. Thanks Henry. I appreciate your advice . I am to the point where I am about to chalk it up to bad parts and am ready to drop the 1200 for new brakes from Lexus.
tammer, in case of anything, i still have a set of almost brand new (2000 miles) brake setup here for the ls460 rotors, pads, calipers, lines it's been sitting in my storage
Old 10-07-11, 04:49 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
tammer, in case of anything, i still have a set of almost brand new (2000 miles) brake setup here for the ls460 rotors, pads, calipers, lines it's been sitting in my storage
that sounds like a deal waiting to happen. iwould jump on that. one thing I noticed about brakes are that they are safety issue and a shop will not let you leave once you take it there and they find out the problem...
Old 10-07-11, 05:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lextrician
that sounds like a deal waiting to happen. iwould jump on that. one thing I noticed about brakes are that they are safety issue and a shop will not let you leave once you take it there and they find out the problem...
absolutely. if there is a fluid leak for example, i don't think it's a good idea to leave the shop anyway. but for typical replacement (worn) or noise, it's more like a decision by customers
Old 10-07-11, 10:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Are the brakes you have for the touring package with your 460L ????
Old 10-07-11, 11:30 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.... brembos? :P
Old 10-07-11, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Are the brakes you have for the touring package with your 460L ????
my ls460l was not touring. it was rear seats upgrade package so it's the same one as yours

Originally Posted by cheez80
.... brembos? :P
hahaha if they are brembo i don't think they'd still be sitting in my storage
Old 10-08-11, 09:50 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha if they are brembo i don't think they'd still be sitting in my storage
haha, it was worth a shot :P
Old 04-26-12, 11:08 AM
Boger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I installed a set of Brake Performance rotors ( slotted ) with premium ceramic pads and have had a bit of strange stuff going on from day one. When I first got them installed there would be a mild grinding or rough feeling when stopping. It got better over the first couple of day but was still there. I also notice a loud whirling or humming noise when I stop from high speeds. I called brake performance and they saids that it may be that the ceramic pad is to hard for the system. It sounded a little odd. The weather in AZ finally hit 77 yesterday so I have been driving with the windows down and have been noticing more of the grinding sound even when the brakes are not pressed. I am lost . I have an appointment to take the car into Lexus tomorrow but was wondering if anyone may have a clue as to whats going on
I have the same problem (loud humming noise) with slotted rotors from Brake Performance. Have you found a solution?
Old 04-26-12, 08:05 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need new brakes soon too. Maybe I should just go with oem?
Old 04-26-12, 08:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I would recommend sticking with the oem. In the end I had a bad experience with the brake performance rotors. They stopped normally but made a deep whirling noise when I would stop. I had ceramic pads and the people there said that perhaps the" pads were too hard for the car". I just didn't have enough confidence to try another set of pads from them. The brakes also didn't feel like the stopped smoothly. There was a very faint grinding. I had the brakes looked at by Lexus to make sure that the parts were installed correctly and all checked out. I am much happier with the oem brakes.
Old 04-26-12, 09:38 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like Shibumi's setup... he has those slotted rotors that seem pretty good and combining that with akebonos (where you at Mikey ) would be pretty legit IMO. At least that's what I'm planning on doing when my brakes go ishh...

Quick Reply: Mild grinding noise with Brake Performance brake kit