LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What I like and dislike about this car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 09:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Osram CBI's claim to fame is that they have 5000k color temp with no loss of llumens (OEM is 4100k, that difference is 900k not 1700k ) They have a brighter whiter color temp, more similar to LEDs.

Usually when you go up in color temp you loose usable light.
Wow...excuse the math error.
Not sure how I miscalculated that!
Thanks for the correction.
So OEM is 4100K not 4300K. Good to know.
I was aware of increased temp equates to less usable exposure, but I guess I was a bit thrown off by the "cool blue" descriptive.
5000K should be a pretty solid white with little to no blue or yellow tint.
If you decide to make the switch, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-24-15, 09:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I was aware of increased temp equates to less usable exposure, but I guess I was a bit thrown off by the "cool blue" descriptive.
I have 5k bulbs in my LS and it's perfect. Bright white and no hint of blue whatsoever.
Old 11-24-15, 09:33 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I have 5k bulbs in my LS and it's perfect. Bright white and no hint of blue whatsoever.
Oh do you?
I shouldn't be surprised...
How would you compare the light emission from the OEM (4100K's) to the 5000K's?
Old 11-24-15, 09:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Oh do you?
I shouldn't be surprised...
How would you compare the light emission from the OEM (4100K's) to the 5000K's?
LOL.

It's much better than the factory 4100. I did a lot of research before deciding on the 5k and between members here at CL and other forums, it seemed 5k was the way to go. I almost went 5500, but worried about getting into a blue hue, which I didn't want. I MAY try 55k next time, but we'll have to see. 6k definitely brings on a blue tint.
Old 11-24-15, 09:52 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL.

It's much better than the factory 4100. I did a lot of research before deciding on the 5k and between members here at CL and other forums, it seemed 5k was the way to go. I almost went 5500, but worried about getting into a blue hue, which I didn't want. I MAY try 55k next time, but we'll have to see. 6k definitely brings on a blue tint.
This is great to know.
At 6000K, in LED anyway, there is definitely a hint of blue hue there, but still quite bright usable light.
But as you said, I think 5500K would be the max for headlights to remain in the "white light" category, and that "may" be the point where the blue begins to creep in.
I wasn't sure if I was going to swap them out now or wait until they "needed" to be swapped out.
Either way, great information to know.
Old 11-24-15, 10:40 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The high beams are a PITA to get to on the 4LS though aren't they? something about removing the wheel well cover; even the front tires. I'm not as impressed with the 4LS highs vs. the ones on the LS430. Even my 240D has high beams that light up the whole world at night.

So back to the original thread:

Power power power. The 460 but especially the 600. Goes like stink.

Styling. More dignified and timeless than either German competitor

Little details The way the lights fade in and out. The solid feel of buttons and controls. The gentleness of the auto cruise as it follows cars ahead. The way the back seats and footrest fold automatically when the door is opened. The footrest on the current S Class does not; I verified this at the LA Auto show on Sunday.

Gas mileage for such a heavy car is good.

Handling Much better/ faster/ crisper than the 430. Feels like a lighter car although it's not.

Electronics and gizmos. More and better than before; and easier to use than almost any other car out there in this class.

Reliability. Feels like a tank; remarkably few issues for a car this complex (70 computers seriously).

Dislikes:
Ergonomics. Stuff like stereo controls (which I use a lot) are now lower on the stack where they are harder to get to. Also the overhead console on the '08 has lots of buttons that look alike. It's harder now to differentiate by touch the buttons for tilt vs. open for the roof. The LS430 they are obvious. Also headlight washers, heated steering wheel, EV mode etc are hidden from view for us tall folks. Buttons also harder to operate by touch thanks to the guards and surrounds they sit in.

Trunk. Smaller than the LS430 but almost every car is.

Ride / Road Noise; there is more noise and the ride does not glide over small imperfections as does the LS430. But still a very nice ride overall; and worth it for the handling tradeoff.

Uh that's about it for dislikes. Many of the dislikes (no BT streaming, USB jack) are easily correctable with aftermarket upgrades; or are addressed in subsequent model updates. IMHO the VAISTECH USB implementation is vastly superior to the Gen6 USB setup from Toyota. I'm considering their BT streaming module as the functionality is virtually identical to the latest BT streaming on the '14+ cars.

Again the 4LS is a shift away from the "serenity now" paradigm that defined the first 15 years of LS design; but the market and tastes are getting sportier. Still the only car at that level that I think merits ownership vs. lease.

LS and loving it for 10 years this past October.
Old 11-24-15, 11:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jainla
The high beams are a PITA to get to on the 4LS though aren't they? something about removing the wheel well cover; even the front tires. I'm not as impressed with the 4LS highs vs. the ones on the LS430. Even my 240D has high beams that light up the whole world at night.

So back to the original thread:

Power power power. The 460 but especially the 600. Goes like stink.

Styling. More dignified and timeless than either German competitor

Little details The way the lights fade in and out. The solid feel of buttons and controls. The gentleness of the auto cruise as it follows cars ahead. The way the back seats and footrest fold automatically when the door is opened. The footrest on the current S Class does not; I verified this at the LA Auto show on Sunday.

Gas mileage for such a heavy car is good.

Handling Much better/ faster/ crisper than the 430. Feels like a lighter car although it's not.

Electronics and gizmos. More and better than before; and easier to use than almost any other car out there in this class.

Reliability. Feels like a tank; remarkably few issues for a car this complex (70 computers seriously).

Dislikes:
Ergonomics. Stuff like stereo controls (which I use a lot) are now lower on the stack where they are harder to get to. Also the overhead console on the '08 has lots of buttons that look alike. It's harder now to differentiate by touch the buttons for tilt vs. open for the roof. The LS430 they are obvious. Also headlight washers, heated steering wheel, EV mode etc are hidden from view for us tall folks. Buttons also harder to operate by touch thanks to the guards and surrounds they sit in.

Trunk. Smaller than the LS430 but almost every car is.

Ride / Road Noise; there is more noise and the ride does not glide over small imperfections as does the LS430. But still a very nice ride overall; and worth it for the handling tradeoff.

Uh that's about it for dislikes. Many of the dislikes (no BT streaming, USB jack) are easily correctable with aftermarket upgrades; or are addressed in subsequent model updates. IMHO the VAISTECH USB implementation is vastly superior to the Gen6 USB setup from Toyota. I'm considering their BT streaming module as the functionality is virtually identical to the latest BT streaming on the '14+ cars.

Again the 4LS is a shift away from the "serenity now" paradigm that defined the first 15 years of LS design; but the market and tastes are getting sportier. Still the only car at that level that I think merits ownership vs. lease.

LS and loving it for 10 years this past October.
I think you are referring to the location of the low beams (the two bulbs that are located in the most outward position in the D/P side lens). The high beams are closest to the grille.
I was nearly able to get to the LB bulb without removing the tire, but just decided to remove it for a potential "I should have just removed the wheel" situation.
Its kind of tight but I didn't think it was that bad.
Perhaps because I have a 3 ton jack and high torque impact wrench.
The high beam I haven't messed with, but from the looks of it, it may cause for some hand manipulation, but its doable.
I believe the high beam is halogen on the 4th Gen isn't it?
BTW, im about to send you a pm!
Old 11-24-15, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Call it pre-turkey stupor

Yeah the "Cool Blue" isn't a very good descriptor I agree. Google them, they're pretty nice.
Old 12-23-15, 09:47 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Call it pre-turkey stupor

Yeah the "Cool Blue" isn't a very good descriptor I agree. Google them, they're pretty nice.
LOL!
I just saw this while searching info on different bulbs others have recommended.
Pre-turkey stupor indeed!
They appear to be a great bulb.
Im looking at either these or the Morimoto brand currently.