LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What I like and dislike about this car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 11:40 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Why can you not believe this? The iPhone was not released until 2007, and it was one of the major advances in phones that led to the smartphone craze. And it was only equipped with Bluetooth 2.0, which was quite slow at 3 Mbit/s and was quite poor for music streaming. It wasn't until 2009 that we saw Bluetooth 3.0 with its 24Mbit/s and it finally became bearable to use Bluetooth for music streaming.

Sure we can look back now and scoff, but back then the tech just wasn't reliable or widely available.
Hmm...
I was completely unaware of those technical specs regarding BT capabilities.
Just learned something.
Much appreciated!
Old 11-21-15, 12:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My quibbles are minor:

- Wipers that don't auto park themselves when the engine is shutdown.

- No turn signals that automatically flash 4 or 5 times for a lane change when you tap the turn signal stalk.

- No map updates except through a dealer.

- No underhood light

I could probably think of more, but again....minor

Positives - EVERYTHING else. I just LOVE this car.
Old 11-21-15, 12:30 PM
halfcut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My quibbles are minor:

- No turn signals that automatically flash 4 or 5 times for a lane change when you tap the turn signal stalk.

Positives - EVERYTHING else. I just LOVE this car.

Is this an option that changed in later years? My 2011 does this and can be set to 3,5,7, and maybe even 9. I changed it to 5 from the 3 it was set to.

My only real dislike that is worth mentioning is the the way bird crap almost instantly melts through the clear coat like the blood from the creature in the movie Alien melts through steel.

Agree with you that everything else mostly ranges from above average to excellent.
Old 11-21-15, 12:33 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking of LS600:
http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/5324420867.html

You think for $84,500 they'd actually clean it up a bit.
Old 11-21-15, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by halfcut
Is this an option that changed in later years? My 2011 does this and can be set to 3,5,7, and maybe even 9. I changed it to 5 from the 3 it was set to.
Yep, another issue that was addressed in later years
Old 11-21-15, 09:25 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The fact that there were updates doesn't mean the people who post their "likes and dislikes" didn't experience them. Now with regards to the blinker, the s-class had this feature since @least 2003. If the LS is a Mercedes contender it should of had that option. Same can be said for the side mirror blinkers that Mercedes debuted 10 years earlier. We could always start a thread that reads "list your likes and dislikes, but if later iterations of the car address them then keep your opinions to yourself".
Old 11-22-15, 05:25 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have used the http://www.ateq-tpms.com/ateq-quickset-tpms/ for a few seasons myself and are very happy with it :-) for setting the TPMS...

Regards
Arvid
Old 11-22-15, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superdenso
The fact that there were updates doesn't mean the people who post their "likes and dislikes" didn't experience them. Now with regards to the blinker, the s-class had this feature since @least 2003. If the LS is a Mercedes contender it should of had that option. Same can be said for the side mirror blinkers that Mercedes debuted 10 years earlier. We could always start a thread that reads "list your likes and dislikes, but if later iterations of the car address them then keep your opinions to yourself".
Thats not what I'm saying at all, it was just an interesting observation that they really do seem to listen to the complaints that customers have and address them as the model years go on. Even in the 2016 being a lame duck year before the new model, they still put in the new nav, redesigned the remote touch control, increased structural rigidity, etc.

In any event the point of providing criticism is so that the party you are being critical of can improve. This shows that they take criticisms and improve.

Don't be so sensitive.

As for things that I dislike...well theres nothing I strongly dislike, but there are things I would improve.

1. Leather quality on the base level. I shouldn't come from a top level GS into an entry level LS and find that leather quality was significantly better in my GS despite even that loaded GS being $20,000 less than my LS. The semi-aniline leather in the ES (also better than that in the basic LS which is absurd) GS, etc should be the standard leather in the LS, and the LS should have even better leather as an option. Its an inexpensive option (about $500) but still, should be standard on an $80,000 car.

2. Brake application is non-linear and it is a little difficult to get accustomed to where you can stop the car smoothly. Quick braking on the highway produces a sharp deceleration that startles passengers.

3. I would like the mirrors to auto fold when turning the car on and off, not only when locking the car.

4. I'd like to be able to close the trunk from the inside of the car.

Other than that, it really is a great car.
Old 11-22-15, 09:04 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats not what I'm saying at all, it was just an interesting observation that they really do seem to listen to the complaints that customers have and address them as the model years go on. Even in the 2016 being a lame duck year before the new model, they still put in the new nav, redesigned the remote touch control, increased structural rigidity, etc.

In any event the point of providing criticism is so that the party you are being critical of can improve. This shows that they take criticisms and improve.

Don't be so sensitive.

As for things that I dislike...well theres nothing I strongly dislike, but there are things I would improve.

1. Leather quality on the base level. I shouldn't come from a top level GS into an entry level LS and find that leather quality was significantly better in my GS despite even that loaded GS being $20,000 less than my LS. The semi-aniline leather in the ES (also better than that in the basic LS which is absurd) GS, etc should be the standard leather in the LS, and the LS should have even better leather as an option. Its an inexpensive option (about $500) but still, should be standard on an $80,000 car.

2. Brake application is non-linear and it is a little difficult to get accustomed to where you can stop the car smoothly. Quick braking on the highway produces a sharp deceleration that startles passengers.

3. I would like the mirrors to auto fold when turning the car on and off, not only when locking the car.

4. I'd like to be able to close the trunk from the inside of the car.

Other than that, it really is a great car.
Lexus wants its finest leather reserved for its expensive, slow selling LSh model. The semi-aniline leather and the ML stereo should be standard on all LS. Braking could be better like BMW and MB. I don't know of any car maker with auto folding mirrors when turning the car on and off. What would be the purpose of closing the trunk from the inside of the car? Seems like it would be a safety issue? I can't wait to see what the new generation LS will have to offer. My LS is still the best automobile I've ever owned.
Old 11-22-15, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Lexus wants its finest leather reserved for its expensive, slow selling LSh model. The semi-aniline leather and the ML stereo should be standard on all LS.
They let the ES, GS and RX have that leather as an option, they should have that leather standard on the LS and even better leather optional, leather you can't get on the lower cars.

If you look at MB or BMW, the basic leather in the S Class or 7 is better than any leather available on any of the other cars, thats how it should be here too. Especially when the good stuff is available on the LS as an only $500 option alongside the alcantara headliner (which concerns me less as the base headliner in the LS is very nice and thick, and clearly better than the downmarket Lexus cars).

The audio doesn't bother me. Everybody has optional audio and the base audio is also good.

I don't know of any car maker with auto folding mirrors when turning the car on and off.
The Lexus LS430

What would be the purpose of closing the trunk from the inside of the car? Seems like it would be a safety issue?
Pretty much ever other car I've ever driven with a power closing trunk closes the trunk when pressing the trunk button in the cabin, including my Kia Sedona minivan and the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee I had before that. Whats the point? Whats the point in a power closing trunk at all?
Old 11-22-15, 09:50 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really the only thing I can say I dislike about my 14' is when I open the trunk on a rainy day the water pours into the trunk. I don't recall my 10' being that way but I would think something has to be wrong with the design for this to happen.

I love the 14' I cant believe I was actually thinking of moving on to an A8!
Old 11-22-15, 10:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Whats the point in a power closing trunk at all?
Because it's cool! LOL.

That power trunk is the one option I wish I had bought. LOVED it on my 7 Series.........when it worked. sigh
Old 11-22-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default What I like and dislike about this car

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Because it's cool! LOL.

That power trunk is the one option I wish I had bought. LOVED it on my 7 Series.........when it worked. sigh
Exactly lol, and closing it from inside the car is cool!
Old 11-22-15, 11:03 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How about that MB braking

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Braking could be better like BMW and MB.
When changing the brake pads, the Mercedes requires a Star Diagnostic session to shut down the SBC system. Unauthorized maintenance comes with a pump damage warning. Although spectacular when it's functional; MB concedes the system can be a handful to maintain.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...nologys-future
Old 11-22-15, 11:11 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is a safety issue... you need the mirror folded out to get out safely when you are parked on the street (i.e., the place where you are most likely to need/want auto-folding mirrors). That's why it folds when you lock the car rather than when you turn it off.

Quick Reply: What I like and dislike about this car