LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just bought CPO 2008 LS460L...already some problems. Need help/advice! Thanks!

Old 04-19-14, 09:54 AM
ElGuapo88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought CPO 2008 LS460L...already some problems. Need help/advice! Thanks!

I am happy to say that I recently bought a 2008 LS460L. I really wanted the L wheelbase, it was the exact color and interior. It had all the major options I wanted. It was relatively low mileage, fair price, and just within the year range for CPO and extended warranty. It was also within 5 hours of my home location. Perfect right? Always wanted to own an LS. Well now I need some advice from the seasoned owners.

Already have run into some concerns (some of it may be nothing, and I'm just being OCD). Some of it is annoying but I believe will be covered by my CPO warranty. While one problem is borderline infuriating (and may not be covered by CPO).

Problems that are probably covered by CPO
1. Climate doesn't stay on memory. Every time I restart my car, the air conditioner is off. I found out this is due to the filter in the glovebox not being installed properly sometime in the past. (Apparently if you don't put the circulation on the correct setting, you end up breaking a small plastic piece while removing the filter from the glove box). The dealer must have done this (or previous owner). Regardless, it should have been resolved before selling it off as a CPO to me
2. My subwoofer is cutting in and out. Mostly it is off. I know because it has happened a couple times. I have a fairly trained ear, and I am playing CD's where I have listened to the tracks hundreds of times. I know when the bass is supposed to hit, or sound like at certain points of the song. I have the ML sound system.

Problem that is probably NOT covered by CPO*****most concerning to me****
1. I pushed the button on the center console to raise the rear sunshade. (The set of controls that range anywhere from 2 to 4 buttons depending on what options your car has). Located right in between the 2 ***** for the heat/ventilated seats. So after I pushed the button, all of a sudden the row of controls just collapses. I don't even know how to describe it. It's sunken in. The entire row. All of the buttons work, but it's sunken in. Almost "spongy" if that makes sense.

And you know what really bothers me? I think this is all because of the dealer. Before I bought the car there was a small crack in the wood trim. When I pointed it out, they decided to "swap out the wood trim" of the center (near the shifter, cup holder, etc). Too bad this new wood trim that they gave me ended up covering (yes covering) the spot where is SUPPOSED to be the air suspension switch. Can you believe that? They expected me to not notice the disappearance of an entire feature. So I pointed that out and they sheepishly switched it back to the original wood trim with the small crack in it and gave me a discount. They said they did not have any wood trim pieces in my color and with the exact features cutout (air suspension).

I honestly think that they either didn't install it back right, so that the set of controls was prone to sinking in (maybe didn't align some parts together), or they inadvertently loosened the fit/configuration during the repeated multiple swaps.

I love the drive of the car. But I would be lying if I said these problems didn't bother me. I think the first 2 problems are covered by CPO. But the last one I believe wouldn't be.

Any knowledge or advice on what to do for the last problem (sunk in controls)? What would be my best course of action? Calling the selling dealership? Calling my home dealership? Any way I could get it covered? I have seriously owned this car for 3 weeks.

Anyways looking forward to hearing advice on what to do, and maybe knowledge of what you guys think is problem or caused the controls to sink. It's just so odd. I will try to post a picture.
Old 04-19-14, 10:08 AM
ElGuapo88
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture of the sunken in set of controls. It is not very firm, very "spongy" feel. Alot of give when I press any of the buttons now.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought CPO 2008 LS460L...already some problems. Need help/advice! Thanks!-lexus.jpg  
Old 04-19-14, 10:17 AM
ElGuapo88
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I also forgot to mention some concerning issues that MAY just be me overreacting/OCD. But just wanted to throw it out there just in case it's an issue.

1. When I make big turns, sometimes I'll hear a single "click" or "creak" sound. It sounds and FEELS like it's coming from under my feet. Like the floorboard or something. Sounds very "plastic". I don't know how to describe it. What is it?

2. Sometimes it sounds like water is being slowly poured/released. It sounds almost soft and soothing lol. This sound comes from the front dashboard. I assume the air conditioning. Is this normal?

3. When I am driving, I notice some noise from the rear. I thought it might be wind noise because it disappears when I am stopped fully. Very soft wind noise. Imagine really soft/slow raking of leaves.

Any ideas what these noises are? Any of concern? Or are they all normal, and I am just overreacting?
Old 04-19-14, 10:27 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You could try the local dealer but if they were unwilling to correct every issue, I would recommend returning to the selling dealer. You are armed with the knowledge that they attempted to deceive you with respect to the wood replacement. With that in mind, I would diplomatically demand that a new wood piece be ordered to replace the broken piece. I doubt if the local dealer will want to replace the wood but you never know until you try.
Old 04-19-14, 10:38 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sunken in controls should be a simple fix as long as they didn't break anything in the process. I don't know your level of comfort with pulling it apart, but I would remove the trim piece and see if perhaps they didn't align the buttons correctly with the corresponding tabs and thus it's not being held in place. Alternatively, call them and tell them there is an issue that they caused and you are not willing to drive 5+ hours for them to fix their mistake. Perhaps they could work something out with your local Lexus dealership and they could work out payment between them.

As for everything else, I am not sure of the answers. I haven't even received my car yet!
Old 04-19-14, 10:38 AM
ElGuapo88
Driver School Candidate

I don't really have any issues with the small crack in the wood trim. I knew about that at purchase, and they even knocked off money from the price after they couldn't find a suitable replacement.

I was just upset over the row of controls sinking in. And I am further annoyed by the strong possibility that this was related to all the previous attempts to replace and remove the wood trim around it. I feel like it must have (to some extent) loosened the fit, or maybe was even improperly put back together. I can't imagine how a set of controls could just collapse a few weeks later.

And I normally would be okay because of the warranty. However, unless there is "Failure" of any of the functions. I don't think my CPO warranty would cover this. Since they are likely to just consider this a matter of trim/fit (not covered by warranty).

If I was close to the dealership that sold me this, I'm sure they would resolve it. However they are 5 hours away. My local one is only 20 minutes away, but I can't see them taking responsibility for something that was most likely caused by a different Lexus dealership. Thanks for the advice though, I will most likely still come in and ask them my options.
Old 04-19-14, 10:43 AM
ElGuapo88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dx3
The sunken in controls should be a simple fix as long as they didn't break anything in the process. I don't know your level of comfort with pulling it apart, but I would remove the trim piece and see if perhaps they didn't align the buttons correctly with the corresponding tabs and thus it's not being held in place. Alternatively, call them and tell them there is an issue that they caused and you are not willing to drive 5+ hours for them to fix their mistake. Perhaps they could work something out with your local Lexus dealership and they could work out payment between them.

As for everything else, I am not sure of the answers. I haven't even received my car yet!
Thanks for the advice. yeah I'll probably try that. Good luck with your car purchase! I considered a 600, but it was a little out of my price range!
Old 04-19-14, 11:55 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

That 'sunken' switch panel is an easy fix - by the Dealer.
Old 04-20-14, 07:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

All of these issues must be addressed by your selling dealer and hopefully will make arrangements with your nearby dealer. OCD??? Uhh.... NO! I would be infuriated and camped outside their dealership if need be if it were me. DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS.
Old 04-20-14, 10:26 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

If you keep getting static, call Lexus corporate and I'm sure the dealer will come correct. I was having issues with my selling dealer and immediately my issues were magically addressed and a $400 service credit for my trouble
Old 04-20-14, 10:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

You definitely have to make an appointment with the dealer and take it back to fix those three issues described in your first post. I have to laugh at all these car manufacturers boasting about CPO 101 point inspections, 178 point inspections, ad nauseum . I can understand them missing the subwoofer, but not the vent in the glove box, that is a fairly common fail point.

As to the sounds, it is difficult to tell. The only thing I would advise as to the sound you hear in turns is make sure you have the control arms checked.
Old 04-21-14, 08:10 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a shame you didn't check out your car before you accepted delivery. Note for next time.
Bottom line is the dealer sold you a CPO'd car and is responsible for fixing what they missed during the CPO process.
Good Luck and +1 on getting Lexus Corporate on your side if the dealer balks.
Old 04-21-14, 11:22 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If you keep getting static, call Lexus corporate and I'm sure the dealer will come correct.
I've had no luck with Lexus corporate - total waste of time. I've been a Lexus driver since 1992, owned 4 Lexus vehicles (still own 3). The last time I contacted them, it took them 2 weeks to get back to me (after I'd called them several times in the interim) just to be told to go and talk with my dealer.

Frankly, I've had better customer service from BMW.
Old 04-21-14, 01:35 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

In Texas we get very good service otherwise we just shoot the guy!
Old 04-21-14, 02:27 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGuapo88
2. Sometimes it sounds like water is being slowly poured/released. It sounds almost soft and soothing lol. This sound comes from the front dashboard. I assume the air conditioning. Is this normal?
?
I get this sound too occasionally when accelerating from a stop. I believe it is air conditioning related, but I am not sure if it is normal. Anyone else get it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought CPO 2008 LS460L...already some problems. Need help/advice! Thanks!