LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 12:59 PM
azimali
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best battery

What is the best battery for an LS460???
Old 07-14-11, 01:44 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I read a lot of good things about Duralast Gold.
Old 07-14-11, 02:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

after all these years reading and trying different batteries, i think factory oem or just interstate are fine
Old 07-14-11, 03:59 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<3 diehard platinum = odyssey AGM battery. awesome stuff
Old 07-14-11, 06:00 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

OPTIMA RED TOP 1000CCA hands down the best battery made & it comes w/a 36 month warranty..
The following users liked this post:
jimgovoni (05-21-23)
Old 07-14-11, 06:02 PM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an Optima red top in my Maxima for almost 6 years before it died. Probably the best battery I've ever had. Just my .02.
The following 2 users liked this post by iceman76:
jimgovoni (05-21-23), Marc780 (05-25-23)
Old 07-14-11, 06:30 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah cant go wrong with a optima battery red or yellow top. never had any issues with those but I have heard good things with die hards!!!!
Old 07-14-11, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman76
I had an Optima red top in my Maxima for almost 6 years before it died. Probably the best battery I've ever had. Just my .02.
not ditching optima, have heard a lot of good things about them too. but my previous interstate it worked from 1998 to 2004 before it started to get low (not dead)
The following users liked this post:
jimgovoni (05-21-23)
Old 07-15-11, 03:20 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battery in my 2008 LS460 was just replaced the other day with a new Lexus battery by my dealer's Roadside Assistance serviceman. My car was in my garage and would not start. The service was prompt and the serviceman was very pleasant and was very careful not to scratch my car.

To answer your question, I have had good luck with Die Hard batteries as well as Interstate batteries. I have had bad and good luck with the Optima Red Top in my Corvette.

My first Optima Red Top died after about 1 year. It would not hold a charge for more than a day or two. It was a real hassle to have it replaced under warranty. I had purchased the battery in New Jersey, just before we moved from New Jersey to Florida. I went to a Sears store to have the battery replaced since they were selling Optima batteries. However, since I did not purchase the battery from Sears, they refused to help me with the warranty replacement.

I called Optima and they had me take the battery to the local (30 miles away) Interstate distributor. The Interstate dealer kept the battery for three days as they had to make sure it was "fully" charged. Then they load tested it and said it was good. I drove the 60 mile round trip a second time to pick up the battery and three days later the car would not start again. I again called Optima and this time they had me take the battery to a local auto supply store to have the battery tested and get a printout of the test results. I faxed the test results to Optima and finally they arranged for a free replacement battery at a Batteries Plus store that was 40 miles away. That replacement battery is still working fine in my Corvette 5 years later.

I know it sounds crazy that I actually went through all that hassle for a free replacement battery. However, I had heard about how good the Optima batteries were that I spent the $160 for my first Optima Red Top. I was not going to let them get away with not honoring their warranty when that expensive battery died after only one year.

Even though my second Optima is still good after 5 years, I do not think I will buy another when I need to replace this one.
Old 07-15-11, 05:05 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean1
The battery in my 2008 LS460 was just replaced the other day with a new Lexus battery by my dealer's Roadside Assistance serviceman. My car was in my garage and would not start. The service was prompt and the serviceman was very pleasant and was very careful not to scratch my car.

To answer your question, I have had good luck with Die Hard batteries as well as Interstate batteries. I have had bad and good luck with the Optima Red Top in my Corvette.

My first Optima Red Top died after about 1 year. It would not hold a charge for more than a day or two. It was a real hassle to have it replaced under warranty. I had purchased the battery in New Jersey, just before we moved from New Jersey to Florida. I went to a Sears store to have the battery replaced since they were selling Optima batteries. However, since I did not purchase the battery from Sears, they refused to help me with the warranty replacement.

I called Optima and they had me take the battery to the local (30 miles away) Interstate distributor. The Interstate dealer kept the battery for three days as they had to make sure it was "fully" charged. Then they load tested it and said it was good. I drove the 60 mile round trip a second time to pick up the battery and three days later the car would not start again. I again called Optima and this time they had me take the battery to a local auto supply store to have the battery tested and get a printout of the test results. I faxed the test results to Optima and finally they arranged for a free replacement battery at a Batteries Plus store that was 40 miles away. That replacement battery is still working fine in my Corvette 5 years later.

I know it sounds crazy that I actually went through all that hassle for a free replacement battery. However, I had heard about how good the Optima batteries were that I spent the $160 for my first Optima Red Top. I was not going to let them get away with not honoring their warranty when that expensive battery died after only one year.

Even though my second Optima is still good after 5 years, I do not think I will buy another when I need to replace this one.

corvettes are known for a ton of electrical problems.. so much so that there are no less than 30 diff companies make batt chargers or voltage stabilizers for them...i've never seen an optima go bad unless it was under user neglect..
if u had a batt last 5yrs in a vette...its nothin short of a miracle.. when u bring it to chevy for service.. the 1st they do is hook up a charger. i had the same prob w my 1st 2 escalades open the door more than 15 mins w/o the engine running..dead batt! i swapped to an optima.. never happened again..

long story short.. i put 3 1000ca redtops in my 98 Gs300 (1 for cranking,2 for stereo) in 2000.. i've never changed them.. i sold the car 1.5yrs ago an they were still in top condition.. less than 6mths ago i saw my old car @ a car show an the new owner had the same batts still in the car.. so thats what 10yrs + on a batt... (u cant see em well in this pic but theyre under the plexi) u can kinda see the leds strips above them if u look close
Attached Thumbnails Best battery-img_0002.jpg   Best battery-img_0017.jpg  
Old 07-15-11, 07:33 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, the only problem with the optima battery was the price. But honestly I can't complain, like I said I just swapped it out early this year and it was bought, Nov/Dec 2005.
Old 07-15-11, 09:59 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive had the best experience with optima yellow tops... I used them in all my other cars and I can't complain... I haven yet to change the battery in the 460 though...
Old 07-15-11, 10:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My G35 had a red top optima, but the heat in AZ killed it in 4.5 yrs. I park my car outside at work so its baking in the summer
Old 07-16-11, 04:06 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shibum1:

Sent you a PM rather than highjack this thread.
Old 07-16-11, 04:16 AM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Got to Costco. All of there batteries are made by Johnson Controls. 96 month warranty, the first 36 months at 100% replacement the rest pro-rated. $70.

Quick Reply: Best battery