LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Window Tint Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 10:55 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree a subtle tint will keep the blue ninjas off of you,I remember in a previous car I had I got pulled over for tint but when he put the tint meter on to check he was like "oh I thought it was darker" but it was a little over the legal limit, so I am guessing maybe 30% will still look good.
Old 05-29-11, 11:51 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bizpage
Thank you for your replys, anyone done any form of tint on the front windsheild and is there anything legal on the front.
Is it correct to assume that your state of domicile is Florida and that your car is licensed there? PA is much more restrictive than Florida if you want to stay close to legal.
PA: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/PA/
FL: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/FL

Tinting the front windshield sounds scary to a geezer like me with "old eyes" and reduced night vision. But if you are young ...

FL allows a front windshield "eyebrow" as long as it is above the AS-1 line which you can see on the driver's side of your windshield. We've got an eyebrow on our ancient LS400 - photo attached shows it. I doubt if it helps reduce heat build up when the car is parked but it makes driving into the sun less stressful.

We've used Covercraft UVS100 windshield sun shields religiously on our vehicles for over 20 years - very effective, custom fit for each vehicle, goes up or stores in seconds: http://www.covercraft.com/windshield_heat_shield.htm

I didn't have the rear window tinted on the LS we had that had a retractable rear window shade. People on forums didn't like the idea but I got only positive comments from people who actually saw and rode in the car. Not having the rear window tinted made backing up at night easier but that car didn't have a rear camera or sensors.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint Ideas-imgp2949.jpg  
Old 05-29-11, 12:31 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If heat rejection is what your after than you can go with a very light film like Pinnacle, which I have been very impressed with. Their UV index is very high as you step up in the line. I like the windows just a touch darker than factory, but its the heat rejection in the summer that I am really after as my LS is black on black.

I was not trying to add a Kulness factor, but rather a Coolness factor.

I bring this up as I have heard several times that you need it to be dark to get the heat rejection, which is not true with some of the higher grade films they have today. I dont care for dark tints after nighfall. The pinnacle film I used got me the best of both worlds for my application.
Old 05-29-11, 01:54 PM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your replys, anyone done any form of tint on the front windsheild and is there anything legal on the front.
I did 5% all around, nothing on the front
[IMG][/IMG]
My neighbor did 5% all around and 30% on the entire front windshield
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-29-11, 04:36 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I think that the problem with the "blue ninjas" and the way they pull over the cars is perception. My buddies TL-S has 5% but he has a black car with black interior but he drives with his navi on daytime mode which lights up the interior. He's been pulled over 1 time since hes had the car. His wifes car is a regular TL but its white with black interior and 25% and she gets stopped all the time. No tickets but harassed often.
Old 05-29-11, 06:53 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The effect I am trying to get is a cooler interior, and not necissarily the look. A lighter color tint that can acheive this result is my priority. Also the tint shop is recomending Llumina 80 film, or something similar for the front windsheild. They say it is the best way to acheive reducing the heat factor in thee car, and wont get you pulled over. I am however cautious as PA does not allow for any tint on the windsheild. I guess I should have registered it in Florida.
Old 05-29-11, 07:40 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The effect I am trying to get is a cooler interior, and not necissarily the look. A lighter color tint that can acheive this result is my priority. Also the tint shop is recomending Llumina 80 film, or something similar for the front windsheild. They say it is the best way to acheive reducing the heat factor in thee car, and wont get you pulled over. I am however cautious as PA does not allow for any tint on the windsheild. I guess I should have registered it in Florida.
That is exactly what I did, I used FormulaOne Pinnacle series to get the UV protection, the difference is huge over factory tint and I went with 35% in the back and 50% in the front. It looks darker with black on black, but I dont lose much visibility at night. Also the FormulaOne films have very little distortion if they are applied right. Superior stuff for the price.

http://www.formulaone.com/en/pinnacle.aspx
Old 08-25-15, 10:11 PM
tony34star
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, I have my LS460 booked at the window tinters and they rang me to say they cant do it as the side windows are laminated and tint is not made for laminated windows...What are your thoughts? Tony
Old 08-25-15, 10:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

That's BS, laminated windows are tinted all the time. Mine are. Find another shop.
Old 08-25-15, 10:49 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I have a 2008 with the laminated windows and it has tint. Haven't measured my tint (I didn't apply it) but it's pretty light; looks like 50% front side and 35% rear. Even so it does a solid job with heat rejection. I drove through 109-degree weather in SE Oregon and the A/C wasn't even stressed.

I test drove a car that had 15% everywhere except the windshield and I didn't like it. I felt visibility was compromised too much, especially out the front side windows. I wouldn't feel remotely safe with 5% at night. Seeing pedestrians is hard enough as it is.

Last edited by dal20402; 08-25-15 at 10:52 PM.