LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VAIS Soundlinq won't initialize

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 07:49 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIS Soundlinq won't initialize

I just got a 2008 LS460 with ML and NAV.

I received my SL2i-UP and installed it yesterday. I have seen on these boards that this unit is compatible with my stereo and the VAIS tech salesman also said it would be.

The installation was easy but when I tried the programming steps nothing much happened. There was a brief "VAISTECH" version info display on my screen, but I never heard the "beeps" indicating the programming was done and the unit did not work. For that matter, the other aspects of the stereo didn't work while I had it hooked up. That is, no FM or AM station could be heard from the speakers. I double and triple checked the connections, and re-tried the programming repeatedly, but to no avail. The only thing I noticed in the VAIS documentation was that the VAIS unit is only compatible with the 5th generation NAV system. How can I tell what generation my NAV is?

Obviously, I will contact VAIS tech support, but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

jpf
Old 05-08-11, 08:14 AM
vancouverl
Driver

your lexus is 5th gen
Old 05-08-11, 08:31 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its possible that the connection is bad even though it looks fine.

Did you take the harness and disconnect it and then re-connect it to make sure that pins were all well connected? Also when you have it apart and your testing it, when you initialize the unit and then put the one switch up, you may not hear the beep, but you then shut it all down and then turn it all back on again, does the VAIS come up about where the map info screen used to, for example is it acting like its bypassing the info screen?

If you have your IPOD plugged in and hit the cd changer 2x which gets you to the IPod screen do you see a different screen now?

Their tech support is good, Henry on this board is also one of the best at installing them, so he can chime in, its also possible you have a bad box, but I hear that its almost unheard of, as they are QCd before they leave the factory. Also did you buy this from a dealer or did it ship from VAIS Tech direct? If it was fresh from the factory it has the latest firmware, if its been on a dealers shelf for a while, that could be an issue according to their tech support when I spoke to them about an issue I had, turned out to be as simple as just rebooting the IPOD to get mine to work.
Old 05-08-11, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

some part of the installation didn't go right. first of all, everything factory system should work just fine. if anything isn't working, then that means you are either not plugging everything back in tight enough, or you are missing some plugs. make sure about that first

then the initialization, sometimes you could get no beeps, especially if on your navigation by default you disabled all the beeping. if you see the text, that's a good sign already. if you can't get into ipod mode, then redo programming

sl2i-up works perfectly on any ls460 with gen5 (07-09). double check on installation first i say

Last edited by rominl; 05-08-11 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-08-11, 10:55 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmasten
Its possible that the connection is bad even though it looks fine.

Did you take the harness and disconnect it and then re-connect it to make sure that pins were all well connected? Also when you have it apart and your testing it, when you initialize the unit and then put the one switch up, you may not hear the beep, but you then shut it all down and then turn it all back on again, does the VAIS come up about where the map info screen used to, for example is it acting like its bypassing the info screen?

If you have your IPOD plugged in and hit the cd changer 2x which gets you to the IPod screen do you see a different screen now?

Their tech support is good, Henry on this board is also one of the best at installing them, so he can chime in, its also possible you have a bad box, but I hear that its almost unheard of, as they are QCd before they leave the factory. Also did you buy this from a dealer or did it ship from VAIS Tech direct? If it was fresh from the factory it has the latest firmware, if its been on a dealers shelf for a while, that could be an issue according to their tech support when I spoke to them about an issue I had, turned out to be as simple as just rebooting the IPOD to get mine to work.
Hmmm, well I did just realize that I had the NAV volume turned down to zero so that may be why I heard no beeping.

The other thing that troubled me while I was trying to make it work is that when I pushed the CD button, the only screen that displayed was an "HDD" screen and some tracks on the "HDD" that, up to that point, I didn't even know where there.

I guess I'll try it again with the NAV volume up.
Old 05-08-11, 12:07 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I never got beeping when I was programming mine, the tech said that does happen sometimes, they dont know why, but it programmed just fine, my issue turned out to be I needed to reboot my IPod to get it to work. It can be a bit tricky if this is your first time, but once its set your good to go forever which relieving :-)

also try and set it to MD to see if that works, if your just trying to program it to cd changer that caused me issues as I recall, but setting it to MD seemed to work just fine, again after I rebooted the IPod, I never got any signs that my unit had properly initialized, once I rebooted the Ipod then I got the full VAIS screen etc and it worked as designed.

once more thing, the VAIS accesses Playlists on your IPod so make sure you have some set up, or you wont see anything.
Old 05-08-11, 01:07 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The first one I had would not give me the beep when programing.
They sent a replacement and it was fine
Old 05-08-11, 03:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you don't necessarily have any playlist, i don't. you can still browse by category 2 and 3 (for example), which are artists and albums

like i mentioned, not having beep doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing
Old 05-08-11, 05:34 PM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

OK, this may be progress.

I hooked the whole thing up again. Turned up the volume on the NAV, rebooted the iPod.

Still no beeps. BUT, the CD/MP3 display now shows the track from the iPod and the playlist. The display operates the iPod and everything. Perfect, right?

Not quite. No SOUND!!! There is no sound. Not only from the iPod, no sound from the AM/FM or CD.

This is weird: When I press the "Sound" button on the display it shows the sound "Balance" all the way to the right, the "Fader" all the way to the back, the "Bass" and "Treble" are also all the way to the right, (max). The display does not let me change any of these settings.

I also tried another iPod with the same result.

I unplugged the harness and replugged the original cables and the sound was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jpf
Old 05-08-11, 07:06 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

ok Henry.. I found where I was stuck on playlists...

We strongly recommend that you organize your songs into playlists for proper operation of this unit .
IF IPOD DOES NOT HAVE PLAYLISTS/SONGS IT MAY CAUSE UNPREDICTABLE OUTCOME AND IMPROPER OPERATION OF THE UNIT.
EMPTY PLAYLISTS MAY ALSO CAUSE UNPREDICTABLE BEHAVIOR, ESPECIALLY EMPTY PLAYLISTS THAT ARE LOCATED IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL PLAYLISTS.

jpf, I have added the manual, you may be able to query it for some guidance before you get tech support to contact you, although Henry is pretty much an expert on this device.

It is beginning to sound like its just jacked and they will have to send you another unit, but I would certainly have them walk you through some trouble shooting first, as they are pretty reliable out of the factory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual_SL2i_v444.pdf (439.0 KB, 460 views)
Old 05-08-11, 07:24 PM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I got the unit from VAIStech so I have the manual.

The problem with the audio is not discussed in the manual. I think something must be wrong with the unit or the wiring harness.
Old 05-08-11, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by cmasten
ok Henry.. I found where I was stuck on playlists...

We strongly recommend that you organize your songs into playlists for proper operation of this unit .
IF IPOD DOES NOT HAVE PLAYLISTS/SONGS IT MAY CAUSE UNPREDICTABLE OUTCOME AND IMPROPER OPERATION OF THE UNIT.
EMPTY PLAYLISTS MAY ALSO CAUSE UNPREDICTABLE BEHAVIOR, ESPECIALLY EMPTY PLAYLISTS THAT ARE LOCATED IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL PLAYLISTS.

jpf, I have added the manual, you may be able to query it for some guidance before you get tech support to contact you, although Henry is pretty much an expert on this device.

It is beginning to sound like its just jacked and they will have to send you another unit, but I would certainly have them walk you through some trouble shooting first, as they are pretty reliable out of the factory.
yes i remember that part. can't say for sure but i think that's more of a problem for gen3/4 system, where they solely rely on playlists to play songs off ipod. i do remember working on gen4 before and plug in ipod with no playlists and the system just stayed there.

jp, it could be the unit is malfunctioning. everything when in factory works that's a good sign. the 20-pin harness that goes to the back of the radio unit, it is a bit hard and sometimes you need to make sure it's pushed all the way in (with some force). i have seen cases where customer thought it's in but it's actually not all the way, and that could create problems

i guess that's just my last check