LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 11:19 AM
WHYUMAD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.

Hey there, my names Ryan & I reside in New Orleans, LA. I currently own a highly modified 2008 Shelby GT500. I'm honestly fed up with the car as a daily & am getting rid of it for some luxury. My current car has a coilover setup & is terribly low, even after I raised it up a good bit. I am looking at getting a black '09 LS460 for my new daily. I am looking to tastefully modify it to make it stand out a bit from the rest of the LS460's around here. I am looking to do a slight drop, rims, and perhaps some slight exterior modifications such as a spoiler/lip kit/etc. I have been down the path of extreme modificaitons & the car may look pretty, but it's not functional & can only be tolerated for so long. I want to be able to drive around regularly like every other person on the road & not worry about ripping something off my car. I drive carefully yes, but I'd like to be able to get up curves & ramps. So please offer me some insight on what would be best to fit my needs of functionality with tasteful styling. Driveability & comfort are what I am seeking.

So far, I've grown to like these rims for the black LS:

Vossen 083s

They're 22" in this picture. I feel that the 22's fill the wheel wells perfectly, while adding a slight drop to it to put the icing on the cake. NOW, would the 22's & drop of this car hinder my ability to drive normally? I know the ride would be a bit harsher than stock, but as long as it's not a night & day difference between stock I would be okay with the slight decrease in comfort.

As for the exterior styling I'd most likely replace the stock hids with a 6/8k bulb and also go with some matching hids for the lower fogs along with LED replacements for all exterior bulbs. I've seen a few kits I actually like. The seraph kit is amazing, but my previous car before my current car had issues with an expensive body kit I bought for it so a body kit is out of the question for me after my past experiences. I might be itnerested in just a lip kit & spoiler combo, nothing crazy. Any advice on a quality, like OEM fit kit for the LS would eb greatly appreciated.

That's most likely it for my mods I'd like to do. I'd probably get a custom subwoofer enclosure built in the trunk & throw 2 12" W3's in for some bass & I'd leave the highs alone because the stock premium sound system is very nice IMO.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to do everything right once without regreting it. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by WHYUMAD; 05-02-11 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-02-11, 12:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

22's in my opinion is the best size for a car of this size. I had dropped my last 2 cars and am fighting the urge to drop my LS. If you lower the car its probably best to go with coilovers if you can afford to. The springs are easy and cheap but the always sag. Coilovers will allow for a custom drop and you can adjust the stiffness of the shocks to your liking. The Megan Racing coilovers for the LS are only a $1000. Thats dirt cheap relatively
Old 05-02-11, 01:02 PM
WHYUMAD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
22's in my opinion is the best size for a car of this size. I had dropped my last 2 cars and am fighting the urge to drop my LS. If you lower the car its probably best to go with coilovers if you can afford to. The springs are easy and cheap but the always sag. Coilovers will allow for a custom drop and you can adjust the stiffness of the shocks to your liking. The Megan Racing coilovers for the LS are only a $1000. Thats dirt cheap relatively
From my experience with coilovers (having KW Variant V3s on my Shelby), I'd much rather just go with lowering springs. I'm not looking for a hellaflush fitment really. As long as the wheel gap is not more than 2 or 3 fingers, then I'll be fine. Coilovers are definitely better, but I'm not looking to put a bunch of time and money into this car due to me wanting to get out of the "car scene" & being all obsessiv. I just want a fresh look and not have to worry about crap. Thx for the advice man, & I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the 22's for sure, but I'm unsure of which springs to go with.
Old 05-02-11, 02:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I totally understand what you mean by trying to be less obsessive . I have not dropped my LS because I am looking to get the hell out of tire shops. I am alway buying tires or having the tires rebalanced. Its so time consuming, especially if you work 6 days a week. I think that Tanabe is the only option for springs. I was looking around for them last year and found that they were on back order and much more difficult to get than just ordering them online and having them to the door in a week. I am hoping they have improved supply over the last 6 months
Old 05-04-11, 11:34 AM
Elvis@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Just wanted to say that those wheels look perfect on the black LS!
Old 05-04-11, 03:28 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

one easy and tasteful mod is some nice window tint! i have a black LS with tan interior and went with 15% all around...windows are huge so it doesnt look overly dark..i would go 25% if you have black interior..tons of other mods out there..lots of nice wheels out there!
Old 05-07-11, 03:03 PM
WHYUMAD
Driver School Candidate

I'm back in forth between the Vossen 082s & 083s....So hard to choose. Do y'all do black faces?
Old 05-07-11, 03:07 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain 82's and 83's both will be a good look though.
Old 05-07-11, 03:41 PM
WHYUMAD
Driver School Candidate

Anybody know where I can find the pricing on the Wald Body Kits? I might just add the wings for now. I'm going to lower it with the Tanabe springs and put the rims on first. I'm scared the body kit will make the car undriveable because the bumpers, etc. will be lower than the stock parts. I'm trying to keep it functional because I drive on some ****ty roads.
Old 05-08-11, 01:49 PM
gsd8702
Rookie

Default Wald Mahoras

I have these wheels if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.-ls600.jpg   New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.-ls600-1.jpg   New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.-ls600-2.jpg   New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.-ls600-3.jpg   New Guy Here. Need advice on tasteful mods.-ls600-4.jpg  

Old 05-08-11, 01:55 PM
WHYUMAD
Driver School Candidate

Message replied to. BTW how much would one of those kits run me?