LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Frequency of AC filter Change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 06:02 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frequency of AC filter Change.

I recently purchased a 2008 LS460 base with 20k miles. I checked the service records and the last AC filter change done was 2 years ago at 10k. It had to go in for the 20k service although I was tempted to do it myself but since it is still my baby, I figured I'de let the dealership do the work. My manual called for ac filter change and the car had a maintenance indicator on notifying me to change the filter. When I picked up the car at the dealership the maintenance light was still on, and when I got home I noticed on the invoice the AC filter was not changed. Called my service adisor and was told they don't change filters at 20k and wouldn't need it serviced until 30k. does anyone know what is right frequency, and why would lexus put 10k in the owners maintenance shedule and have the car programed to tell us to change the filter if they didn't think it is best way to go?
Old 04-29-11, 08:29 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AC filter changes are in proportion to your air quality, if you live somewhere with dirty air (like Los Angeles) for example I would change it every 6 months (like I do) to a year. 2 years is too long anywhere in my opinion.

its a 10-15 dollar filter that takes literally 60 seconds to change out of the glove box. You just need to make SURE you have your AC set to recirc and that the door to access the AC filter is in the open position so you can get to it. Make the mistake of trying to do this with the door closed and you just bought a 2K plus repair. It sounds intimidating but its really not when you have done it once.

DONT have the dealer do this it is a complete rip off. You can edit the service records on your car in the Lexus Owners Link and it will be on their records as well.
Old 04-30-11, 09:07 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Place and Price for AC filter?

Where do you get this filter for that price. Are instructions included?
Thanks!
Old 04-30-11, 10:43 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/2498.html

In Store: $69.90
Online: $58.25
ClubLexus Price: $42.29
I clean the ac filter with every oil change (5K miles, 3month) and with the third oil change the car gets a new ac filter. I do that because I live in a very dusty place and the filter looks unusable after 9 months after installation.
Old 04-30-11, 03:19 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

There are many resellers on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories

just query LS460 cabin filter and you will find several that will have multi packs, with shipping you get to about 10.00 each. I have tried the OEM for about 50.00 and these on ebay and since I rotate them out every 6 months, I just go with the cheaper one, same effect in keeping the cabin air filtered.

The last couple I have ordered did actually have good instructions with pictures to walk you through it, including the recirc setting to get the filter door out of the way to access the filter.

You can get the charcoal ones or I just get the plain and add a fabric softener sheet.

my last two purchases were here, and I would recommend both.

http://stores.ebay.com/AirCabinMan-N...-CANADA?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.com/FreshCabinAir?_rdc=1

Last edited by cmasten; 04-30-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 05:30 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the post. I did order 4 for about $9.00/ea, and will replace them every 6 months, but why would a dealer tell me not to change them except every 15-20k miles, and Lexus recomends 10k and car gives reminder at every 10k. Personally, for the cost of doing it yourself every 6 months sounds reasonable enough.
Old 05-01-11, 07:12 PM
lexuspower
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmasten
You just need to make SURE you have your AC set to recirc and that the door to access the AC filter is in the open position so you can get to it. Make the mistake of trying to do this with the door closed and you just bought a 2K plus repair.
I assume that the AC button needs to be on Recirc and then the car off, but what do you mean by that "the door to access the ac filter is in the open position?"
Old 05-02-11, 06:50 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

The car can be running or off, wont matter, what is important is that you hit the recirc button on the dash, then when you open the glove box and remove the shelf you will see a plastic door on the back wall, this just slides to pop out and with it removed you will see the filter, there are several small tabs that you just release and the filter comes up, then out towards you so you can replace it. If the AC door is down (the fresh air setting) you wont see the filter and it will be obvious. The recirc button has a small motor that rotates the door into another position out of the way so you can access the filter. If you try and pry the door to get at the filter then you potentially break the linkage to the door and your inside and outside settings wont work, its about 2K to have a dealership take the dash apart to fix this small part... so its critical to have it in recirc first to access the filter.

With the filter access open you can just hit the fresh air and recirc setting to watch the door so you know what we mean, once you see it, it all becomes clearer.