LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 05:06 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment

I have a 2008, LS460L with the touring package (includes air suspension). Stock wheels, stock tire size, stock suspension, everything. I haven't hit a curb, pothole or other. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport AS, fairly new, rotated religiously.

I have noticed for a while that my car seems to be pulling to the right. So much so that I can notice the steering wheel has to be turned slightly left to compensate. No big deal, just needs an alignment.

However, after having a four-wheel alignment done at the dealership, nothing changed. I had them check again and they stated that the alignment hit the factory specs however my car still pulls to the right. The dealer states that our cars are very sensitive to slant in the road but I dismissed this by trying on interstate lanes that slant to the left...still my car goes right.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible that an air shock height difference between the driver and passenger sides could cause this?
The following users liked this post:
Mastiffman (03-23-23)
Old 03-23-11, 05:52 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah I have and it mostly happens on the Highway I will have to compensate by going more the opposite way, but I don't have air suspension! so thats weird, I expected it but not for an LS, maybe there is something wrong with the air suspension.
Old 03-23-11, 05:58 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Those particular tires, Michelin Pilot Sport AS, have a directional tread pattern and they must be mounted such that they all turn in the same direction and the correct direction. If they are mounted so the tread patterns turn in opposite directions then it can cause a bias in the steering.

Most directional tread tires have symbols on the sidewalls denoting the correct rotation direction. If you face the outside of the tires on the passenger side the correct rotation would be CW and if you face the outside of the tires on the drivers side, they would rotate CCW.

Here is a quote from TireRack.com regarding directional tread mounting:

Quote From TireRack
Directional (Unidirectional) Tread Patterns
A directional (also called a unidirectional) tread pattern is designed to roll in only one direction. It incorporates lateral grooves on both sides of the tire’s centerline that point in the same direction and result in v-shaped tread blocks. These grooves enhance hydroplaning resistance at high speeds by pumping water more efficiently through the tread pattern. Unless they are dismounted and remounted on their wheels to accommodate use on the other side of the vehicle, directional tires are to be used on one side of the vehicle and are intended to be rotated from the front axle to the rear axle. If different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, the tires become location-specific and prohibit tire rotation unless remounted.
End Quote

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-23-11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-23-11, 11:46 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2008 LS tires are non-directional and I have experienced the same problem but probably to a lesser degree. I had a four wheel alignment performed with no change in pull. I then rotated left front tire to right front and no improvement. Then I rotated left rear to right front and noticed some improvement but the pull still remains but I think I can live with it. May rotate right front to back left later. I believe TSIB L-SB-0174-08 addresses this problem for several models and it recommends tire rotation first, then alignment. In your case you would have to dismount the tires from the wheels to accomplish the rotation per JM's post. If that doesn't resolve the issues, in-depth instructions regarding alignment are given in the TSIB which may help you. If you need a link to above referenced bulletin, let me know. Anything to help a fellow Georgian.
Old 03-23-11, 02:18 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's the above mentioned TSB -- i'm willing to bet your tech didn't mess with the camber since it looks so annoying to do

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0174-08.pdf

sorry, the above link is for a general TSB.

here's the one for 460/600: http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0035-08.pdf
Old 03-23-11, 04:07 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks, didnt even know there was a TSIB for most Lexus vehicles!
Old 03-27-11, 08:09 AM
dyeelitt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2008 LS460L with Touring package, I experienced the same problem with Michelin Tires. My original Bridgestone ER33 tires wore out at 27,000 miles and I replaced them originally with Michelin Pilot Sport AS. The car pulled to the right. I had it aligned at an independant shop and it still pulled. Took it to the dealer and they realigned the car and it still pulled. They swapped tires left to right and it still pulled. Put another set of Pilot Sports on and it still pulled. Put a set of Symmetry MXM and it still pulled. Finally went with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity and the car drives great. The tires hold the road in the wet like i have not seen before. I have about 10,000 miles on them and they are worn by 2/32" and they still ride great and hold the road amazingly. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-27-11, 05:31 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dyeelitt
On my 2008 LS460L with Touring package, I experienced the same problem with Michelin Tires. My original Bridgestone ER33 tires wore out at 27,000 miles and I replaced them originally with Michelin Pilot Sport AS. The car pulled to the right. I had it aligned at an independant shop and it still pulled. Took it to the dealer and they realigned the car and it still pulled. They swapped tires left to right and it still pulled. Put another set of Pilot Sports on and it still pulled. Put a set of Symmetry MXM and it still pulled. Finally went with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity and the car drives great. The tires hold the road in the wet like i have not seen before. I have about 10,000 miles on them and they are worn by 2/32" and they still ride great and hold the road amazingly. I highly recommend them.
Dye, are the Bridgestone Serenity tire as quiet as the other tires and how many total miles do you project before you need a new set?
Old 03-27-11, 07:20 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I was told by an Acura dealership a while back that many cars are designed to very slightly pull to the right for safety reasons. The thought is that if a car's driver fell asleep or worse, the car would drift away from oncoming lanes..not sure if that is true but the concept makes sense I guess.
Old 03-28-11, 08:03 AM
dyeelitt
Driver School Candidate

I would guestimate that i will get 40,000 miles on this set of tires. They come with a 45,000 mile warranty. They are very quiet, every bit if not quieter than the OEM Bridgestone ER33 tires.
Old 03-28-11, 08:29 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dyeelitt
I would guestimate that i will get 40,000 miles on this set of tires. They come with a 45,000 mile warranty. They are very quiet, every bit if not quieter than the OEM Bridgestone ER33 tires.
Thanks for info. Will definitely consider these tires as replacement for Bridgestone EL42s.
Old 07-25-11, 12:19 PM
KJFenton
Driver School Candidate

Default Alignment Problem Solved!

Hey guys I've been doing some research because my car drifts to the right and just had my second 4 wheel alignment at the dealership. They've been giving me the same BS about the "road crown" or "tires" don't go for it!

Here's what to look for on your alignment report:

Front Camber adjustment needs to match as close as possible. If they don't match the car will drift towards the more positive side. For example my FL is
-0.9 and FR -0.4 This makes the Cross Camber -.05 which is the max difference but in the specified range. This is what's making my car drift to the right.

The Camber adjustment is the hardest to do so the mechanics will try to avoid making this adjustment at all costs... they rush cars in and out all day so this is where they cut corners!! Tell them you want the Cross Camber to be 0.0.

Also pay close attention to the Rear Camber. My left was -2.0, right was
-1.5 and my left inside tread was wearing twice as fast. The greater the negative number the more it will chew your inside tread.

Rear Camber should be -1.0 to -1.5

The dealership/mechanics assume we are all ignorant and will come up excuses all day versus doing the work right!!! Don't let them get away with it!
Old 07-26-11, 02:54 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately, the camber cannot be adjusted on the LS 460 without changing parts. If you have more than 12,000 miles on the car, the TSiB to fix this has expired and it will cost about $800.00 to repair the issue.
The only other alternative is the change tires to a symetrical thread tire. The one exception I've heard that works is the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity.
Old 07-26-11, 05:05 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
Unfortunately, the camber cannot be adjusted on the LS 460 without changing parts. If you have more than 12,000 miles on the car, the TSiB to fix this has expired and it will cost about $800.00 to repair the issue.
The only other alternative is the change tires to a symetrical thread tire. The one exception I've heard that works is the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity.
I was having the exact same problem with the Pilot Sport A/S tires and was quoted $1,600 for that TSIB! There are no guarantees that the TSIB will fix the problem, and it is a trial-and-error procedure playing with caster to alleviate the pull with no alignment specs outlined in the TSIB.

The OEM Pilot HX MXM4 fixed the problem (same as the Serenitys would have).

FWIW, my understanding is that the AWD models do have camber adjustment, and I don't know if that was also incorporated for the later RWD models or not.
Old 07-26-11, 05:11 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have had the Bridgestone serenitys for about 7,000 miles. They are very quiet and the ride is much better than the stock EL42s.

Quick Reply: Alignment