LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 10:18 AM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tpm

I need help. I recently have new Bridgestone serenity tires put on my LS 460. all my TPM are reading about 2 Psi more than actual tire pressure. Can Lexus dealer reset this? Can I reset this myself without have to go to dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-20-11, 01:16 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

You need to think about this in a different way.

The TPMS tire sensors are five independent, high accuracy, wireless air gauges. The car-display just displays the information sent by the sensors. If all the displayed readings are the same when the tires are set with a hand held gauge then it is very likely that all the sensors are in good order, including accuracy.

There are a couple of things that come to mind. One would be the accuracy of the hand held gauge or the skill of the technician.

The other would be the relationship of tire pressure to tire temperature. If the temperature of the tires changes from when they were set with the hand held gauge the pressure will change and that will be reflected in the TPMS displayed pressures. This is a very real effect and the pressure changes about 1 PSI for a 10 degree F temperature change. If you have your tires set at a tire store when they are warm, from driving and ambient air conditions, then the next morning they will be several PSI lower when you first start up. Conversely, if the tire pressures are set at the tire store when the car has been stationary for several hours then when you get home, before you turn you car off, the TPMS displayed pressures will be several PSI higher than the pressures that were set at the tire shop.

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-20-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-20-11, 02:04 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Prior to purchasing new tires, my TPMs read exact what my tire gauge read. I had also used 2 other different tire gauges. My tire gauge is acurrate to 0.5 PSI. I had check the tire pressure cold( overnight ) and random agaisnt reading from TPMs but TPMs read about 2 PSI more the the actual.
Old 03-20-11, 02:16 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the tire pressures are changed I believe you need to reset your sensors. This is fully described in your owner's manual. Under the dash to the right of the steering wheel is the reset button. Read your manual to see what state the car needs to be in as I can't recall (i.e., off/on). Once all your tires are at the right pressure (Based on hand gauge) hold the reset button. I think this process resets the benchmark for the pressures.

This is discussed in other threads.
Old 03-20-11, 03:32 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the help. I found the TPM instruction in owner's manual.
Old 03-20-11, 03:52 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Let us know if this works for you. I think I need to follow these instructions also.
Old 03-20-11, 04:21 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by edarte
When the tire pressures are changed I believe you need to reset your sensors. This is fully described in your owner's manual. Under the dash to the right of the steering wheel is the reset button. Read your manual to see what state the car needs to be in as I can't recall (i.e., off/on). Once all your tires are at the right pressure (Based on hand gauge) hold the reset button. I think this process resets the benchmark for the pressures.

This is discussed in other threads.
It is not a "Reset" switch. It is labeled "Set" and it is used to initialize, or benchmark the TPMS to establish the warning thresholds. The only time you would want to operate this switch is when a different cold inflation pressure is desired.
Old 03-20-11, 04:49 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

I will reset my TPM tomorrow AM ( per instruction on owner's manual ) before I go to work. I will let everyone know If it work.
Old 03-21-11, 03:47 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

I reset my tires including spare at 33 PSi this AM before going to work. TPMs still read all tires at 35 PSI in AM and right before I leave work ( I parked in a parking structure/ no sun). I will have to wait until next service at dealership to complaint.
Old 03-21-11, 04:30 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Chuang, let us know what the results are after the dealer evaluation.
I have the same issue with my TPMS except my reading is about 3 PSI higher than readings with several different guages. I have carefully followed instructions in manual 3 times.
Old 03-29-11, 02:51 PM
Badboyz8
Driver School Candidate

I read many posts on tpms I then checked Wikipedia and it says that the senors are power by batteries that needs to be changed every 7-10 years. I also had problems with my tpms system with my summer tires that came with my CPO car when purchase. I now have all-seasons (purchased entire wheels and rims) on my LS-460L and since the LS cannot hold more then one set of codes I just live with the yellow "warning" light and the check service message. The only drawback is I don't get accurate reading on MPG and speed and I just check the tires once a month with a gauge. For me to get the second set of codes will require that I take the tire off the wheel, remount, rebalance just to get the s/n for the dealer to enter it into my car. Then I would have to bring it back to them every time I switch from all season to summer tires. They don't make a scanner that will detect the senors without removing the tire from the wheel...ugg