LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How important was "CPO" to you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 01:18 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important was "CPO" to you.

Still trying to find the right 07 LS460L. My recent Audi ownership showed the value of a warranty with German cars. However, my experience with Toyota and Acura products most of my life had proven to be hassle free for the most part. So for those of you who did or didn't choose CPO, what was your reasoning? Since the car does have a bunch of technology, does that change it from the ranks for the Camrys and Acura TLs I've had most of my life, or does the Toyota brand reliability carry right over to this car?

Any perspective/thoughts/info would truly help me as I continue to search for my LS.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-11, 04:26 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My 460 isn't CPO, and I haven't had any "major" issue with my car whatsoever. Other than the brake actuator issue, I haven't been in any situation where CPO would have made any difference. In fact, the brake actuator was covered by basic warranty. My major concern was the valve springs issue which was taken care of by Lexus (even though I had shipped my car outside the country of origin and the warranty had been revoked for that).

That said, I've come across other instances of people who had issues with the radiator, transmission and other major parts of their cars. But obviously there isn't very many troubled LS460's imo.

So I think Lexus is a pretty reliable machine, and having a non-CPO 460 isn't particularly a risky adventure.
Old 01-30-11, 06:34 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would agree with JFNash, and my 07 is CPO. I considered both, If I had purchased one with 30K miles or so would not have worried about CPO, but there was not much inventory around the country in Dec of 09 when I wanted to purchase mine. The one I ended up buying had 60k miles on it and for me, CPO was a given. Its nice getting the same treatment at the dealer as new and to this point everything and anything I have asked to be serviced or fixed was covered at no cost, but that experience largely depends on your dealer and SA.

Best car I have ever owned and I have been through almost all of them in 30 years. My next Lexus will most likely be a CPO, I like the huge discount and the comfort of knowing Im covered for most everything along with vacation insurance, road side assistance, free loaners etc. Of all the CPOs I would have to say that Lexus has the best from my research and experience.

Last edited by cmasten; 01-30-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 02:56 AM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-31-11, 03:27 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think I would purchase any luxury car without it being CPO or having at least a extend warranty. It's something call "PEACE OF MIND" knowing that if anything major breaks my warranty will cover it. I don't care if the car is German or Jap if you’re purchasing a used car you have no idea what the car may or may not have been thru.

Unless you’re a mechanic or know one. Spend the extra 2k for a warranty. IMO

Last edited by rogers2; 01-31-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 06:05 AM
vancouverl
Driver

i would not buy cpo .as long as the car has a service history and you do your homework .the car must still have warrenty .you run no risk .
Old 01-31-11, 08:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I just bought mine and have purchased several Lexus' over the past 8 years and none were CPO cars. However, each were at most 3 years old and under 30,000 miles so that I had a full warranty for at least a year or two. CPO cars are typically more expensive because they typically change some of the maintenance items prior to sale (tires, brakes, etc.) and it does cost the dealership money to CPO the car plus it comes with the 100k warranty. My LS460 is only 2 years old and has 24k miles so I didn't think a CPO was a primary concern. I will likely get an extended warranty in a couple years once my factory warranty is up.
Old 01-31-11, 03:22 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't know that the CPO warranty is any different from the other extended warranties, the types of things that they check are pretty basic. I've posted about my experience getting the CPO warranty to cover TSIB issues here and I must say that the process is a little concerning.

To be honest if I had it to do over again I probably wouldn't have bought the '07, when they say "don't buy a car the first year that it comes out" they must have been talking about the '07 LS460. I've had 8-10+ TSIBs performed on my car and, while they've been covered, that concerns me about the long-term costs of owning this car compared to an '09-'10 where they've worked out most of the bugs. From what everybody has been saying, they still haven't really done a good job with the wind noise fix in the most recent versions.

My $0.02, skip the '07 and buy an '09 if you can find one, or wait for the '09's to start coming off-lease (which is why the '07's are so cheap right now).
Old 01-31-11, 04:03 PM
raindance1
Driver School Candidate

I'm planning to buy an LS 460 this summer . . . and this thread arrived at the perfect time . . . I was getting ready to pose a question about the wisdom of buying the ’09 as opposed to the ’08 or ’07.

Too, I was going to ask about passing on the CPO. I tend to lean toward the CPO . . . but they look to cost several thousand more than their competition.
Old 01-31-11, 10:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought mine with very low mileage non CPO. I saved about 4-5k on the price relative to the CPO but had to drop about $1000 into the car when I first got it to make it perfect. I still got a great deal. When I got my car I ended up turing the rotors, doing an alignment, changing the wiper blades, and doing general service.