LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hesitation on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 01:28 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Result: car returned to normal when bought into dealership.
No, we don't want to see video..we know the issue.
But we are unable to duplicate issue.
Please bring back when it happens. F$@K!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-11, 04:38 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it's time you contact corporate about your issue, and try another dealer if possible.

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Result: car returned to normal when bought into dealership.
No, we don't want to see video..we know the issue.
But we are unable to duplicate issue.
Please bring back when it happens. F$@K!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 10-17-11, 10:40 PM
lexus96817
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few month ago I had the valve springs and fuel rail replacement recall done on my car. When I got the car back, it would usually hesitate during and after coming out of a turn. My problem wasn't as bad as the video posted, but I felt it was definitely a safety issue when I couldn't keep up with a Corolla while making a left turn in a busy intersection. I took my car in a few weeks ago along with a copy of TSIB: L-SB-0033-08. They re-calibrated the ECM, road tested, unable to verify, no relevant DTCS found and performed the TSIB (ECU reflash only). That was in the comments on the invoice, in that order. The problem was fixed with the reflash. I hope my information helps.
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 10-23-11, 09:05 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just curious as I noticed many of the individuals with this issue have the 07 model. Is this problem most common on the 07 models? Are there any cases of 2010 models with this issue?
Old 07-03-12, 07:02 AM
ImOutRu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 ls460 with the vales replaced and have the same sort of issue, although it is not Gas, for I have been to 4 different stations and 4 tanks later the same issue.. It is very dangerous and I have no faith in the car when it comes to acceleration.. Help
Old 07-03-12, 07:09 AM
ImOutRu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the valve spring recall completed on my 08 LS460L and am now experiencing sluggish acceleration. The day after getting the car back I was making a right turn onto a busy street and needed to aggressively merge into traffic. To my surprise the car barley moved at all and I was almost hit. After avoiding that potential disaster, I entered a freeway on-ramp and gave it some gas. The engine strained and would not accelerate but the revs kept slowly climbing. Once I finally reached freeway speeds everything seemed fine. Coming back home I had to enter the freeway again but there was a Scion XA next to me so I floored the car to pass him up the on-ramp but to my surprise I was not able to pass this little car and had to break off my attempt to pass. Again the revs did climb slowly but did not seem to be putting any power down to accelerate. I do not know what it could be. The car is at the Dealers, but they said without being able to duplicate the issue would make for an impossible cure of the problem. I live 100 miles from the dealer and can't just rush it over when the problem occurs. I would greatly appreciate any information you all may have that can help. The car only has 23,000 miles on it. I am the original owner and have pampered the car.
Old 07-03-12, 07:49 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Have them update the transmission with the latest firmware available, doing so for me and some others in this thread solved the issue. (2nd pg)
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 07-03-12, 10:46 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ImOutRu
I had the valve spring recall completed on my 08 LS460L and am now experiencing sluggish acceleration. The day after getting the car back I was making a right turn onto a busy street and needed to aggressively merge into traffic. To my surprise the car barley moved at all and I was almost hit. After avoiding that potential disaster, I entered a freeway on-ramp and gave it some gas. The engine strained and would not accelerate but the revs kept slowly climbing. Once I finally reached freeway speeds everything seemed fine. Coming back home I had to enter the freeway again but there was a Scion XA next to me so I floored the car to pass him up the on-ramp but to my surprise I was not able to pass this little car and had to break off my attempt to pass. Again the revs did climb slowly but did not seem to be putting any power down to accelerate. I do not know what it could be. The car is at the Dealers, but they said without being able to duplicate the issue would make for an impossible cure of the problem. I live 100 miles from the dealer and can't just rush it over when the problem occurs. I would greatly appreciate any information you all may have that can help. The car only has 23,000 miles on it. I am the original owner and have pampered the car.
The fact that this started after the recall makes me pause, but the timing of the problem could still potentially be a coincidence. For me it started after I got a new battery and my wife drove the car for one day (the learning process got all messed up).

The scope of the TSIB that is listed earlier in this thread is more limited for 2008 LSs and above, in a good way, as it entails only an update to the calibration software in the Powertrain Control Module and no need to change cylinder heads. This software update is not to be confused with a separate, transmission related TSIB update that affects 2007 cars only.

My car was built in November 2007 (also a 2008), and the calibration it had from the factory was only one version behind the current/latest one. This fix made a world of difference. However, I learned that the "outdated" calibration my car had from the factory was already the 4th or 5th version Lexus had for the LS460. In other words, the factory tried (for a while) to get this right.

Based on what you are describing, this would be the first thing for your dealership to check.
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 07-09-12, 07:38 AM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

This was my past experience with my vehicle that I no longer have. I now own a 2010 Sport LS460.
Have Lexus check and confirm. Hope this helps.

Nov 11, 2010 (3:23 pm)

One month ago I had the recall for my 08 LS 460 completed on this vehicle that I enjoyed as a lease for three years. A few days later I had to drive the vehicle 1500 miles each way. Late the first day the vehicle started hesitating, couldn't accelerate past 50 mph, almost involved in accidents on highway due to lack of power, or it would not go any faster, loud noise from engine, without panel notification. When I arrived at my destination I immediately brought it to a Lexus dealer and was told " the recall parts were defective and we have to replace the left lifter that's bleeding." They had the car for three days.
The Lexus dealership broke the radiator overflow tab and fixed it with " superglue/epoxy but you will need a new radiator when you return home." In SHOCK I stated " A 72 K Lexus repaired with super glue?? That's unacceptable and I will complain with an investigation. Will my children and I be safe traveling back 1500 miles?" I was assured "Yes".

Needless to say the second day while I was driving on the highway where there was construction and no breakdown lane the engine overheated, panel warnings on, smoke. We jumped out of the vehicle called Lexus immediately and when we lifted the hood antifreeze was all over the engine and the hose was broken sticking up in the air. We were stranded for three hours and the vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership 50 miles where it still sits after 3 weeks and I'm still responsible for this lease that expired 2 weeks ago without any vehicle. I'm VERY thankful my children and I are safe from this ordeal. I wanted everyone to be aware of these very dangerous repairs.
Old 07-15-12, 07:58 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As I wrote on 6/28/12 on the thread "LS 460 Acceleration problems", my 07 LS460 is now at the dealer for the THIRD time with this issue!

Some 18 months ago, after a service at 35,000 miles, the hesitation on acceleration described in this thread started. The dealer said it needed a transmission software update, and this solved the issue till recently.

About six weeks ago, I took it to Park Place Lexus in Plano for a 50,000 mile service. The next day, the hesitation was back. As they had previously done the transmission software update, they said it was not a tranny issue, and this time they had to do work on the cylinder heads. From reading this forum, I see they performed L-SB-0033-08.

This did not at all solve the issue! After a near accident as I merged into traffic, I took it back to Park Place Lexus, and took their head tech for a drive. He personally experienced the problem. It is EXACTLY as randomwalk showed in his videos on this thread (thanks!), and as described by ImOutRu on 7/3/12. It is extremely sluggish from start, and seems worse if a slow rolling start, and when doing a turn after a start. The revs climb slowly to about 5000 , yet with my foot flat on the gas, the car is barely moving. Absolutely no power! THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! Once the car reaches highway speeds, it acts normally.

My car has now been at the dealer for almost three weeks. (They have provided a loan car). They have told me that they are getting their instructions from Lexus HQ. Apparently another car elsewhere in the USA has the same history as mine, and they were waiting to see the outcome of a fix proposed by Lexus HQ. On Friday I got a call from the dealership saying the fix worked on the other Lexus, and they were going to now do the same fix to my car. (Sounds very experimental!!)
They say it is not the transmission, but the cylinder heads. As I understand it, they are once again doing L-SB-0033, but replacing more of the parts than before.

This is my 5 th Lexus, and I have been a great advocate for the brand. (LS400; LS430: Ls460; RX300; GS300) .However, I have lots of concerns:

Firstly, this is not like a squeak in the dashboard...this is a very dangerous issue which can cause an accident. I really have lost confidence in this vehicle.

Secondly, I own this car, and intended to keep it for many years. The powertrain warranty is 7 years or 70,000 miles. What if this reoccurs again at say 71,000 miles. Lexus told me the cylinder head repair done under warranty some six weeks ago cost thousands of dollars.

I find it strange that the issue manifested itself at 35,000 and 50,000 after a routine service??

I really think Lexus need to replace the powertrain on my car.

Last edited by glenneagle; 07-15-12 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 09:45 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you considered asking Lexus to buy back your car under the "Lemon Law"?
Lexus has done this in the past for other owners.
Good Luck.
Old 07-23-12, 01:06 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

To give you an update:

My LS460 was at the dealership almost three weeks.

The description on my invoice reads as follows (All work was done under the powertrain warranty)

"Valve shafts worn causing knock sensors to retard timing due to noise. TAS verified proper mounting of high pressure fuel pumps and remove drive belt to road test. Vehicle still hesitates. Per FTS replace all valves, cylinder heads, and valve spring seats (updated parts). Replaced parts and road test to verify no further hesitation present".

I believe this was the same as the work done when it came in previously, (which did not solve the problem), except this time they used all new parts.

It seems fine now. However the jury is out..we will see how it performs over the next few weeks.
Last time it took a few weeks for the problem to manifest itself again.

Apparently the 2007 LS460s are known for this problem. Interestingly, Consumer Reports gives the 07s a black dot for major engine problems.
Old 11-29-12, 11:53 AM
joe42276
Rookie

Any more updates on this hesitation issue?

My '04 LX470 is doing it too! SO DANGEROUS!

Symptoms usually start when the brakes are applied rather firmly to bring the car to a complete stop. From there on, the engine doesnt respond right, or revs, but car barely moves... definitely cant get it up to speed. Sometimes it will hesitate for a couple seconds (and by then Im gassing it more to go)... but then it catches all of a sudden and lunges forward!!

I replaced the entire accelerator pedal assembly, but that didnt work... and I realized this is BAD.
Old 11-29-12, 12:06 PM
joe42276
Rookie

Randomwalk... I just saw your YouTube vids... I know we have different cars ... mine is '04 LX470 but mine is doing the exact same thing.

Did you ever figure it out? This is our 3rd Lexus (LS400, LS430, LX470) but the way this is going, it may be our last.

Hope its an easy fix.
Old 11-29-12, 03:34 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hesitation on Acceleration

No problem with my new Lexus, but back in 2007 I also had a Tacoma TRD. When they had the recall about acceleration and floor mats causing problems part of the fix required reflashing the ECU. When the vehicle was returned to me the acceleration with much better and the shift points came different speeds. Actually drove like a totally different vehicle. Maybe a lot of 2007 vehicles had acceleration problems. Just an observation!

Quick Reply: Hesitation on Acceleration