LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How many filters inside the car? When to change these fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 09:11 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How many filters inside the car? When to change these fluids?

1) How many filters are there inside the car, beside the a/c filter inside the glovebox?

2) When to change these fluids (mileage|timeframe):
- coolant?
- brake? Specific rating for the fluid?
- differential gear?
- any other fluids have to be checked/changed?

I read on the user's manual that the transmission is completely sealed and shouldn't be touched whatsoever unless there's a leakage. I'd be very happy to leave my transmission alone with it's stuff untouched. But will it not break apart or something due to excessive use and lack of lube renewal? I'm scared to think about driving 150K miles without a single tranny fluid change.

3) Does the transmission's filter have to be changed? When if yes?

4) Left side mirror is taking 1 second longer to unfold (but not when folding) than the right one. Should I worry?

Last edited by JFNash; 01-13-11 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 01:29 PM
xianan87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 .......a somewhat related question. Is an intake air filter same as the engine air filter?

if so, should I ask not to have the engine filter changed at my 60k service since I just got a brand new intake?
Old 01-13-11, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by xianan87
+1 .......a somewhat related question. Is an intake air filter same as the engine air filter?

if so, should I ask not to have the engine filter changed at my 60k service since I just got a brand new intake?
i believe intake filter is same as engine air filter. if you remove your factory airbox (where factory air filter is located and put in the intake, then there is no more factory engine air filter to replace
Old 01-13-11, 03:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JFNash
1) How many filters are there inside the car, beside the a/c filter inside the glovebox?

- coolant?
- differential gear?

I read on the user's manual that the transmission is completely sealed and shouldn't be touched whatsoever unless there's a leakage. I'd be very happy to leave my transmission alone with it's stuff untouched. But will it not break apart or something due to excessive use and lack of lube renewal? I'm scared to think about driving 150K miles without a single tranny fluid change.

4) Left side mirror is taking 1 second longer to unfold (but not when folding) than the right one. Should I worry?
inside the car? for sure the ac filter behind the glove box (careful on changing that one). and i forgot if this is standard on all ls460, but those with micro filter, there is another filter somewhere i forgot. for ls460l with rear seats upgrade (separate ac compressor unit), there is another air filter in the trunk area
Old 01-13-11, 06:33 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

there are some filters for the ac seats also
Old 01-14-11, 08:29 AM
GREENDAY
Rookie

Originally Posted by JFNash
there are
2 engine filters,
2 AC filters in LWB,
1 AC filter in SWB,
1 oil filter + some noise filter with pic check the TSB on this link
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-AU001-07.pdf

- coolant?
- differential gear?
in the maint. after 36months or 30,000mile , 108 Months or 90,000 & 144 Months or 120,000 Miles they recommend replacing the brake fluid
engine coolant visually check
brake fluid
power steering fluid visually check
windshield washer fluid

[COLOR="blue"]Inspect each transmission component for signs of leakage. If you discover
any leakage, have it repaired immediately by a qualified technician.
Note: The transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit.
Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid
are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Any repairs
that require adding or replacing fluid should be performed by a qualified
technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications.[/COLOR
]
check if there is something blocking it in the gaps
kindly check ur PM

Last edited by GREENDAY; 01-14-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 07:46 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
there are some filters for the ac seats also
I had heard this, but went through my Service Manuals line by line.. no filters in the seats that I could find. I took one of my seats out (passenger) and no filters.
Old 01-14-11, 07:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

But will it not break apart or something due to excessive use and lack of lube renewal? I'm scared to think about driving 150K miles without a single tranny fluid change.

No it will not "break apart" unless you leak out all your transmission fluid. My Q45a has 184,000 miles on it. Its not a sealed transmission, but I've never had to add fluid, and never changed the fluid. My wife's Jag has a sealed transmission and its fine with 95,000 miles on it.

You have to realize there have been many improvements in automotive parts. Years ago engine oil was changed every 3,000 miles and now some cars are up to 10-15,000 miles. Tires were good for maybe 15,000 miles if you were lucky, now some will go 60,000 (not Turanza EL42's though). Spark plugs used to be changed every 5,000, now its 100,000. Plus you used to change the points at the same time. I don't expect to ever change the points on my LS!
Old 01-14-11, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i highly doubt there are filters for the seats. never heard of that
Old 01-15-11, 06:02 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i was told by two diff svc advisors that there are filters for the AC seats...i haven't seen them personally. I thought that sounded crazy too
Old 01-15-11, 07:20 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

:-) yup, there are no seat filters in the LS460 from 2007 on, it could be they are thinking of previous models?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lter-pics.html
Old 01-17-11, 09:47 PM
nolimitguj
Driver School Candidate

Orr...they were trying to upsell you on some non existent service.
Old 06-25-15, 06:06 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I came across this old thread during a search. I own a 2010 LS 460. I just replaced the seat bottom air filters on the driver and passenger sides. They were dirty and air flow has improved since replacement. There's a couple of threads about how to DIY. When you do a parts search or ask a dealer you'll think they don't exist (not listed on newer models), but they're there and worth replacing. mylparts.com 2/$30 shipped. I was skeptical too...
Old 06-25-15, 01:08 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rominl
i highly doubt there are filters for the seats. never heard of that
All LS 460 with climate control seats have filters installed in the seats. Contact Lexus or check your owner's manual.
Old 06-25-15, 01:13 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 ls460 with heated and cooled seats but for the life of my can't find any filters. Did the 2007 460 have seat filters? Perhaps it started with the 10's?

Thanks

Quick Reply: How many filters inside the car? When to change these fluids?