LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What do you say about these rotors for an '08 LS460?

Old 12-09-10, 05:15 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What do you say about these rotors for an '08 LS460?

I've been looking for better rotors than the OEM ones. I want a good fit with ceramic pads.

I came across these rotors from brakeperformance.com:

The manufacturer (who sells directly) says that they are perfect fit for the '08 LS460. The rotors dimensions are:

What would you say about the quality of these rotors given the specs?
Fitment?

They cost $428 (front & rear) shipped with free standard pads and $508 with premium ceramic pads. The price is reasonable, but not sure about the quality.

Last edited by JFNash; 12-09-10 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 06:47 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that looks nice..and it has LT warranty so you can swap it out everything it warp...just drive the **** out of it
Old 12-09-10, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

seems pretty solid to me. I had a set of stoptech brakes on my G35 and they outperformed the factory stuff in every way
Old 12-09-10, 12:39 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these on my 2008 LS right now. No problems what so ever. Brakes a lot better too!
Old 12-09-10, 12:52 PM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have drilled brakes gotten better? They had a problem of cracking back in the day. Slotted was the way to go.
Old 12-09-10, 01:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

If you haven't had drilled / slotted rotors you should be aware they can make significantly more noise than standard steel blank rotors. When you brake you can hear a little whirring or clicking sound. The sound is of course more noticable with windows down of course so you might never hear it in your LS.

You are not going to get any additional stopping performance from these rotors either... will be comparable to a new set of stock rotors. The biggest benefit you may get is handling if they're lower weight but suspect they are not. They appear to be a two piece 'look' rotor with just a painted rotor hat.

Buy these if you like the way they look, but no other good reason to unless you get a good deal. Just wanted you to be aware of the drawbacks.... there is a lot of 'marketing' in the advertising image you posted and their warranty looks to have the vendor 'well covered' in pretty much all circumstances.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-09-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-09-10, 02:56 PM
OSU
Pole Position

There is a slight whirring noise associated with these rotors because of the spinning, but there is a definite breaking improvement over the stock rotors and brakes. Again, I can speak to this because I have the same exact ones. My only complaint is when you first receive them, the whole thing is coated which means to get that look, your brakes will have to rub off the paint which means a lot of dust in the beginning. They don't look bad either, and you can't beat the price.
Old 12-09-10, 05:57 PM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Will these fit an 07?
Old 12-09-10, 06:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

it you want GOOD rotors, get blank ones. slotted and drilled, they look nice, but most of the time they are not better
Old 12-09-10, 08:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
but there is a definite breaking improvement over the stock rotors and brakes. Again, I can speak to this because I have the same exact ones.
Sorry OSU, while I respect your direct-hands-on with this product I still disagree. It may seem that way but very extensive testing by a lot of organizations & companies (including very respected brake mfgs like Brembo and Stoptech) show that it doesn't improve your stopping distance. There are tons of threads on CL and other sources about this very topic. I don't want to take this thread off topic and can search some of them out for you if you're interested (Pm me).

Most likely explanation is that your old OEM brake performance were diminished and that's the difference you felt. You would need to have replaced brand new OEM brakes with brand new brake products described above to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Even a full-on big brake kit doesn't substantially improve stopping distances... it can improve heat resistance (fading), weight reduction benefits (handling), pedal feel, etc but if you aren't taking your car to the track most folks do it simply for the aesthetic benefits and style points.
Old 12-09-10, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry OSU, while I respect your direct-hands-on with this product I still disagree. It may seem that way but very extensive testing by a lot of organizations & companies (including very respected brake mfgs like Brembo and Stoptech) show that it doesn't improve your stopping distance. There are tons of threads on CL and other sources about this very topic. I don't want to take this thread off topic and can search some of them out for you if you're interested (Pm me).

Most likely explanation is that your old OEM brake performance were diminished and that's the difference you felt. You would need to have replaced brand new OEM brakes with brand new brake products described above to do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Even a full-on big brake kit doesn't substantially improve stopping distances... it can improve heat resistance (fading), weight reduction benefits (handling), pedal feel, etc but if you aren't taking your car to the track most folks do it simply for the aesthetic benefits and style points.
i will just say i agree with this, and i have had bbk from different companies on all my cars. feel is definitely changed, brake fading is improved, but stopping distance, not so much.
Old 12-10-10, 01:08 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You are not going to get any additional stopping performance from these rotors either... will be comparable to a new set of stock rotors.
I agree. However, I intend to install ceramic brake pads and the stock rotors don't seem strong enough to accept the ceramic pads.

I do expect a lot of difference from the ceramic pads tho.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-10-10, 07:26 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try it out and let us know. Ceramic pads is strong? I thought sinestered metallic pads aer strong???
Old 12-10-10, 10:06 AM
OSU
Pole Position

I have to respect every ones opinions as well. I define "braking better" as a difference in feel. Doesn't necessarily mean shorter distance. In order for me to comment on that, I would have to have a "Need for Speed", then brake hard, but since I don't drive that way I can't comment but different feel is better to me because the responsiveness is better, plus better grip when I apply the brake, meaning better stopping. Still a good price for the upgrade. What I can't justify is spending around $2000 for a BBK. Still a good price for an upgrade but in the end, what do you want to do with your car? Are you putting wheels on your car?
Old 12-10-10, 11:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JFNash
I agree. However, I intend to install ceramic brake pads and the stock rotors don't seem strong enough to accept the ceramic pads.

I do expect a lot of difference from the ceramic pads tho.

Thanks for your input.
high performance pads will most help braking. but just one thing to keep in mind, slotted / drilled don't necessarily mean stronger. in fact, a lot of times they lean toward the other way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you say about these rotors for an '08 LS460?