LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 11:13 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd rock dem joints.lol
Old 12-17-10, 01:15 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Go for it buddy!
Old 12-17-10, 04:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't put nothing less than 21 on an LS460. I don't understand why you're saying the ride would be terrible with a 22. It's the tire choice that makes the ride. I have 245-30-20 on Continental DWS and the car rides nice. You should be able to run 245-30-22 on the LS which should be eually nice if not better.

19 or 20 are too small for this car. If you can't do it right, stay stock. Looks better stock with small wheels.
Old 12-18-10, 09:24 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

So for those with 22s, are some of you saying that your 22s ride as nice as 18s or 19s? Or even 20s if you had them before? I have had wheels and tires on all my cars in the past, usually plus 1 or plus 2 sizes and regardless of tire it is NEVER the same as stock. I would be surprised if someone could honestly say 22s ride the same as smaller wheel/tire combos on this car or any other car for that matter. The wheel setup and tire design makes all the difference in the perceived "fender gap" optical illusion. Tires with rounded shoulders can make the combo look too small. More squared up tires like a General Exclaim UHP can overcome some of that. Plus, when the car is in motion, especially on the highway, the fender gap is not as noticeable in my opinion. I don't have air suspension, if I did, i would get the controller and do it that way..but i have no desire to put stiffer springs on my luxury sedan..my Acura..yes, my LS..no

and when you say "if you can't do it right"..what does that even mean? If 22s are "right", then Lexus would of put staggered 22s on the car to begin with. Yukon Denali's back in the day came with 16's. Now they have 20/22" options. Perhaps Lexus will develop a 20 for the LS at some point. This wheel is the closest to it. But what seems "right" to you may not be practical for others..just sayin.

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-18-10 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-18-10, 06:28 PM
CJITTY

Just picked up a set of 4, they actually had some in a local warehouse here in ATL. Here are some preview pics. Now, I just need to decide on a tire. I'm thinking the Continental Continental Extreme Contact DWS...that 500 treadwear rating and overwhelming positive reviews tells me this is probably the tire for me.

This is a rough preview on how they may look on my black LS. The wheels are silver with machine face and machined lip.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?-cimg0280.jpg   Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?-cimg0281.jpg   Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?-cimg0282.jpg   Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?-cimg0283.jpg  

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-18-10 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-18-10, 06:39 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like a winner to me!
Old 12-19-10, 08:02 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
So for those with 22s, are some of you saying that your 22s ride as nice as 18s or 19s? Or even 20s if you had them before? I have had wheels and tires on all my cars in the past, usually plus 1 or plus 2 sizes and regardless of tire it is NEVER the same as stock. I would be surprised if someone could honestly say 22s ride the same as smaller wheel/tire combos on this car or any other car for that matter. The wheel setup and tire design makes all the difference in the perceived "fender gap" optical illusion. Tires with rounded shoulders can make the combo look too small. More squared up tires like a General Exclaim UHP can overcome some of that. Plus, when the car is in motion, especially on the highway, the fender gap is not as noticeable in my opinion. I don't have air suspension, if I did, i would get the controller and do it that way..but i have no desire to put stiffer springs on my luxury sedan..my Acura..yes, my LS..no

and when you say "if you can't do it right"..what does that even mean? If 22s are "right", then Lexus would of put staggered 22s on the car to begin with. Yukon Denali's back in the day came with 16's. Now they have 20/22" options. Perhaps Lexus will develop a 20 for the LS at some point. This wheel is the closest to it. But what seems "right" to you may not be practical for others..just sayin.
I have been one of the loudest voices for shooting down the "doing it right" credo because modding is a personal choice and doing it right is relative to the modders tastes. I said that earlier purposely to elicit an emotional response (though I still think 20's are too small for the LS). Now I know that you had already made up your mind which way you wanted to go. I don't understand people asking for opinions when they already know what they want to do. Please explain.
Old 12-19-10, 08:57 AM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

those 5 spoke will look nice. But i'm a huge fan of 19" LS600hl wheel. Sure the 22"s/21"s look 'right' but with roads in NY and the amount of roadtrips i take, i need a good looking wheel that i wouldnt be scared to drive over potholes at 70mph.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?-lexus-ls_600h_l_2008_1280x960_wallpaper_09.jpg  
Old 12-19-10, 09:11 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ALeX300
those 5 spoke will look nice. But i'm a huge fan of 19" LS600hl wheel. Sure the 22"s/21"s look 'right' but with roads in NY and the amount of roadtrips i take, i need a good looking wheel that i wouldnt be scared to drive over potholes at 70mph.
Then that's what's right for you. I don't agree but don't have to. I'm okay with slowing down over pot holes. I would slow down over them even with the stock wheels to protect my alignment. So getting bigger wheels doesn't change my driving style too much.
Old 12-19-10, 09:47 AM
CJITTY

explain what? You should explain why you felt the need to intentionally play games and start up needless conversation on my thread? If you think 20s are too small, so be it and keep it movin. My original post was intended to share info about this wheel and say this was something I was considering as an alternative to the 19" oem wheel. I decided yesterday to buy them. But I had to respond to "doin it right" and simply say what's "right" may not work for others..22s look nice, just not an option for me mainly because of lengthy road trips. Again, just opinions.nothing more, nothing less..
Old 12-19-10, 10:03 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by ALeX300
I like the hybrid wheels too. For me, it was going to be either the hybrids or the touring wheel until I ran across these Morro's and their exact oem fitment. The hybrids look good on black for sure..good work
Old 12-19-10, 10:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

As long as you are on a stock suspension your 22's should be fine. My car goes over big bumps like stock. Then again in AZ the roads are pretty damn good like 99.8% of the time
Old 12-20-10, 06:32 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
explain what? You should explain why you felt the need to intentionally play games and start up needless conversation on my thread? If you think 20s are too small, so be it and keep it movin. My original post was intended to share info about this wheel and say this was something I was considering as an alternative to the 19" oem wheel. I decided yesterday to buy them. But I had to respond to "doin it right" and simply say what's "right" may not work for others..22s look nice, just not an option for me mainly because of lengthy road trips. Again, just opinions.nothing more, nothing less..
I couldn't be sure that you already had your mind made up so I wanted to check. I guess I could have just asked but that isn't much fun. Besides, I really do believe that 21 or 22 is the right side when modding the LS. Doesn't seem logical to me to change wheels that are the same size or close to stock. Especially when the stock wheels look nice and provide the type of ride you're looking for. The difference in ride feel between 20 and 21/22 is almost negligible. Type of tire and sidewall height make the difference. All-season tires ride much better than ZR rated tires, most of the time. 245-30 is 245-30 whether it's 20 or 22.
In the end, you do what you want. I just don't get why u asked about something u already decided on. Since u asked a meaningless question, I gave a meaningless reply.

I'm thinking about getting a set of those wheels for my wifes car in size 19. She won't go for 20's. Don't know why but that's what she likes.

Lastly, none of this is a big deal. Just internet tripping.
Old 12-20-10, 07:37 AM
Alfafara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Lumarai Morro wheel, I sell these to my Lexus dealers, good wheel and priced right, Vossen has become my most popular wheel with all my new car Lexus dealers

20'' Lumarai Morro on 245/40-20 Vogue Gold V Signature Tyre

20'' Vossen VVS085 Sliver Machined on 245/40-20 Vogue Gold V
Old 12-20-10, 01:58 PM
nolimitguj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO too much tire and too much fender gap. I think the 22's look the best on these cars. Im running 265/30/22''s in front and 295/25/22 in the rear all Continentals and my ride is noticeably a bit louder however it feels as if it has more road feel, which I like. As far as driving a lot, this time of year I drive about 4-5k miles per month for work.

Quick Reply: Wheel Opinion - What do ya think?