LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended warranty recommendations

Old 11-10-10, 10:50 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marky2mark
I recently bought a 2008 LS400 CPO. All CPO automatically come with 3 yrs/100k warranty, I purchased an extra 3 yrs. It is from the date I bought the car. The mileage is total mileage on the car, but the duration of the warranty is from when I bought the car. So I am covered for 6 years from when I bought the car, or 100k total miles.
Yep...I did the same thing. Don't forget to mention that if you do not use the extended warranty, you get a full refund. That is what my contract with Lexus states. Not a bad deal for the peace of mind.
Old 11-10-10, 10:52 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasTex
Believe if you re-look at dormie's original post he bought an 8 year 75,000 mile warranty for the $1765. Minus the original factory 4 year warranty period would give him the additional 4 years of warranty coverage he is touting.

You are correct in that the extended warranty is somewhat misleading in that the extended warranty period does include the original 48 month factory warranty period and mileage from day one of purchase.

I took Ford to small claims court about their "extended" warranty claim many moons ago.

Ford called it a 4-year 'extended' warranty. I presented my case then the judge asked the Ford rep what he thought 'extended' meant...mumble, mumble.

The judge then said 'to me 'extended' means beyond the original warranty...why would anyone want to pay for redundant coverage in the first year or two?'

He found in my favor and Ford had to replace the tranny and motor mounts on my Taurus...under warranty.

Whit
Old 11-10-10, 05:58 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean1
If you have not had the VSR done yet, then I definitely recommend purchasing the Platinum Warranty BEFORE getting the VSR done.

I contacted Lexus USA and confirmed the following:

If you have the Platinum Warranty and then have the VSR done, Lexus, USA will send you a $500 gift card to be used for parts or service at your Lexus dealer, along with a $1500 coupon valid for one year, towards the purchase of a new Lexus. (This is basically equivalent to getting a discount of $500 off the cost of the Platinum Warranty).
I've not had the VSR work done yet and wanted to get confirmation of this from an official source, so I can hold them to it. The response I got from Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com (the email address from the bottom of Lexus' follow-up letter) stated,

Customers that already have an active VSA with LFS at the time the recall was issued will instead receive a $500 gift card from Lexus that can be used towards future service and parts
I responded back to them asking what exactly "time the recall was issued" meant since that sounds like they are referring to when the recall letter was sent out. I'll post back once I receive that response. Perhaps Clean1 could post or PM me with the details he received. It would be nice to have this in writing before we all go about purchasing warranties based on it. I certainly hope it turns out to be true.

Originally Posted by Nat
... if you do not use the extended warranty, you get a full refund.
I find this hard to believe, since I've seen no mention of it in any of the materials I've read. Can others confirm this? No offense, but that just sounds too good to be true. I guess I'm just a bit skeptical of warranty offers in general.
Old 11-11-10, 07:05 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexus Customer Satisfaction via email:

I am sorry if my previous response did not answer your specific question. The information that I provided previously is accurate. Customers who have an active VSA at the time the recall was issued will receive a $500 gift card for service instead. If you do not have an active VSA at that time, you will receive a complimentary Powertrain VSA. If you are concerned that you received the complimentary Powertrain VSA in error, please contact the LFS Customer Service Center at 1-800-448-1505 to provide proof that you have an active VSA. If you have any additional questions, or would like to discuss this matter further, please contact us at 1-800-255-3987. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
As promised, above is the response I received back from Lexus when I requested clarification; all I stripped was the respondent's name, open & close. Clean1 also sent me a PM with details on his inquiries prior to receiving a letter confirming the gift card. I certainly thank him for taking time to do that. He indicated the call got past around a bit before being connected to someone with an answer. It may be worth a call to confirm a gift card will be forthcoming if you have already received a letter that did not promise one. Good Luck.
Old 11-12-10, 09:14 AM
dormie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also contacted customer service and confirmed that although I purchased the vehicle and the service contract after the official start of the recall, I would still receive the $500 gift card if I get the VSR service done.
Old 12-07-10, 02:27 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Just purchased a 7/100 extended warranty from Jerry Johnson at Midwest toyota for $2040. Best price anywhere. In Houston the closest toyota dealership price was $1000 more. He was very nice and helpful.
1-800-530-5789

jarm
Old 12-07-10, 06:08 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jarm
Just purchased a 7/100 extended warranty from Jerry Johnson at Midwest toyota for $2040. Best price anywhere. In Houston the closest toyota dealership price was $1000 more. He was very nice and helpful.
1-800-530-5789
jarm
I can second that; I bought the 8yr/75k warranty from him last month for $1765. I couldn't have asked for a nicer person to deal with. My VSR work is scheduled for the week prior to Christmas, so expecting the $500 gift card to further sweeten the deal.
Old 12-08-10, 05:00 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys. will add this J.Johnson to contact list.
Old 12-09-10, 08:09 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i got mine through my credit union. $1000 with zero dedutible and covers bumper to bumper except normal replacement items like brake pads, wipers, etc. I'm good to 104K miles! Credit Union backs the company so if I have any issues, they will deal with it for me but that is not expected. Lexus Warranty may be "less hassle" though since it is not 3rd party
Old 12-19-10, 01:01 AM
topgun04
Driver

Default extended warranty - not worth it...

"Yep...I did the same thing. Don't forget to mention that if you do not use the extended warranty, you get a full refund. That is what my contract with Lexus states. Not a bad deal for the peace of mind. "

Think twice about this type of warranty. Let's say you pay $2000 for the warranty and you have a claim of $100 worth of work...What are you going to do? Should you claim the warranty knowing that your $2000 is going to Lexus pocket? or should you not claim the warrenty work and just pay from your own pocket and hope that this is the last warranty work you need and get the $2000 back some day? It has a very strong build-in incentive for owner not to claim small repair unless you already has one major repair covered under the extended warranty... Best case scenario for Lexus is that they take you $2000, have free use of the money for 8 years (or whatever the length of the coverage the extended warrenty) and just return the money to you... Today an AA coporation need to pay about 5%- 6% for junior unsecured bond and you just hand them $2000 without asking for any interest. So over the 8 years period, they just save about $800+ of interest that they would have to pay to the bond holder.
Old 01-22-11, 11:15 AM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clean1
If you have not had the VSR done yet, then I definitely recommend purchasing the Platinum Warranty BEFORE getting the VSR done.

I contacted Lexus USA and confirmed the following:

If you have the Platinum Warranty and then have the VSR done, Lexus, USA will send you a $500 gift card to be used for parts or service at your Lexus dealer, along with a $1500 coupon valid for one year, towards the purchase of a new Lexus. (This is basically equivalent to getting a discount of $500 off the cost of the Platinum Warranty).

If you do not have the Platinum warranty before you have the VSR done, Lexus will give you a 6 yr, 100,000 mile powertrain only warranty and the $1500 coupon.

FYI, I received my VSR recall letter this past Monday and on Thursday purchased my Platinum Warranty from Jerry Johnson. Once I receive the Platinum Warranty documents, I will call my dealer and schedule the VSR.

I can confirm what "dormie" said in his reply above- I checked the three highly recommended warranty sellers and Jerry Johnson offered the best price. He was very easy to deal with and returned my telephone calls promptly.

Reminder: All the warranties are based from the date the car was originally sold to the first retail customer.
what is VSR. sorry i am lost.
Old 01-22-11, 11:28 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VSR is the Valve Spring Replacement Lexus recall program.
Old 01-22-11, 12:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I got my warranty for my GS through Troy Dietrich from Toyota of Greenfield in Massachusetts . I got a quote from hm for the big daddy warranty the platinum 8 yr 125k Lexus VSA for $2600. Seems a solid amount higher than what I am hearing here but nobody went for the max coverage. Even he told me that this would cause a big jump when you go from 100k to 125k coverage
Old 01-25-11, 08:31 PM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

So I bought an 08 CPO LS460L 3 days ago. How can I find out if theVSR is done on my car? My guess is the previous owner got the $500/$1500 deal and I get the hassle. :/
Old 01-25-11, 08:34 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KYLS
I can second that; I bought the 8yr/75k warranty from him last month for $1765. I couldn't have asked for a nicer person to deal with. My VSR work is scheduled for the week prior to Christmas, so expecting the $500 gift card to further sweeten the deal.
Lexus exceeded my expectations when a gift card arrived in my mail today even though my extended warranty was purchased after the initial VS letter. Makes me glad I bought a Lexus and their warranty.

Now I'm curious if this card can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, but so as not to re-direct this thread, see that topic here, starting with post #60:
Attached Thumbnails Extended warranty recommendations-giftcard.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended warranty recommendations