LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Denim Jean wearers with tan or grey interiors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 06:40 PM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Denim Jean wearers with tan or grey interiors...

Im in the market for an 07 460 L and although ive always had a Lexus with black leather seats Im wondering if the dye from denim jeans is become noticeable after a while? I wear a lot of jeans when im not working so im wondering if Ill end up with stained seats....may be silly to some of you and i kinda feel a lil silly asking but im about to invest the most money Ive ever invested in a vehicle...so just a question
Old 07-18-10, 06:59 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bezee
Im in the market for an 07 460 L and although ive always had a Lexus with black leather seats Im wondering if the dye from denim jeans is become noticeable after a while? I wear a lot of jeans when im not working so im wondering if Ill end up with stained seats....may be silly to some of you and i kinda feel a lil silly asking but im about to invest the most money Ive ever invested in a vehicle...so just a question
I remember seeing a thread from mr29rose a while back about staining his leather seats with either his jeans or his belt.
Old 07-19-10, 01:07 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends how new they are... Sweat probably contributes to the dye releasing from the fabric.

I'm a rough & tumble kind of guy, so I avoid light colored leather interiors and stick to basic black.
Old 07-19-10, 03:39 AM
stever500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely. This can and will happen. Just heard this from a guy at a dealership. He's with Bentley and he regularly reminds his customers with light beige interiors NOT to wear jeans in their cars. Personally I think that's ridiculous. What if your passenger is wearing jeans when you pick him up? He can't get in your beige interior car? The Bentley guy said that customers complain a lot about the dye transferring to the leather. Maybe it's just Bentley's though, softer leather?
Old 07-19-10, 05:56 AM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i guess that settles it for me .....black interior only!
Old 07-19-10, 06:06 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Or getta sheepskin. It adds comfort, is cooler in summer and warmer in winter
Old 07-19-10, 07:09 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

But wait, doesnt leather come from cows? So that means when they ride cows and horses that are lighter the jeans color will transfer to the cows and horses. Just kidding.

But on a serious note, its not just the Bentley. My brothers Escalade drivers seat has gotten darker over the last year. And its only the bottom part of the seat, not the back and he mostly wears black jeans to work. So yes, it does transfer.
Old 07-19-10, 07:29 AM
HMP07
Driver School Candidate

I have a blue patch on my back seat (Passanger side) from my kids wearing jeans. Anyone know how to get it off???
Old 07-19-10, 10:49 AM
elite7
Driver

I have beige on my LS430, LS400, and LX470. When i bought the LS430 i put a towel down on the drivers seat. However it still gets dirty. You would need a cover to keep it clean but a cover doesnt look as nice as the leather seat.

For this reason i bought my LS460 with black interior. I wear jeans primarily and i was tired of my beige leather getting dirty. Also by the center console area right below the shifter where you lay your arm down, this gets extremely dirty.

Also the car doesnt really heat up with a black interior. The windows on the LS460L are all double pane and in the LS460 the front ones are double pane which helps keep the cabin cool while parked in the sun.

From my experience with having beige interiors on 3 of my Lexus i would highly recommend the black leather seats on the LS460 .

Well i guess that settles it for me .....black interior only!
Good choice .
Old 07-19-10, 02:27 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Darker leather colors will help avoid this problem. You can just not wear Jeans. You can also clean your seats and condition them on a regular basis. That will help take away the color before it starts to sink in.
Old 07-19-10, 04:19 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts

I had a grey interior in my '08 IS350, I drove it for 2 1/2 years and wore jeans most of the time and never had a problem. I did clean the leather about once a month though.
Old 07-20-10, 12:30 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before my LS, I had an Infiniti M35 with black interior. My driver seat was stained blue from wearing jeans when I traded it in. Nothing would take the blue out. I seem to remember that Mark had his seat re-dyed by the dealer under warranty.
Old 07-20-10, 02:18 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to live in the mid-west. The summers there get quite humid. It was so bad that when golfing my black golf belt would get soaked. Unfortunately I did not notice for a month, but the dye transferred from the belt to the back of my beige (ecru) LS430 seat. I tried every cleaner I could find without any real success. After about two years the black dye did fade some but it was always noticeable. The main reason I switched to black on the LS460 even though I prefer the light interior.

I have also heard that blue jeans will transfer dye to not just car seats but leather furniture as well.
Old 07-26-10, 08:43 PM
mdawg630
Rookie

I put towels on my seats so they wont get stained ! lol Some people laugh at me but hey whatever works especially if you own your car and not lease !
Old 07-26-10, 08:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

all my jeans come with disclaimer stickers saying that it will rub off on lighter surfaces...I stick to black leather even though I love the two tone gray interior on the RX

Quick Reply: Denim Jean wearers with tan or grey interiors...