LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO extended warranty? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 05:30 PM
tky2sol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO extended warranty? Worth it?

I'm sitting here filling out the paper work getting ready to take the LS460 home. Is it worth getting extended warranty in addition to the CPO warranty (3 yr or 100,000 miles)?

fast reply is much appreciated!
Old 06-13-10, 08:08 PM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you keeping it long term or short term? Short term, CPO is sufficient.
Old 06-13-10, 08:13 PM
tky2sol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VA380
Are you keeping it long term or short term? Short term, CPO is sufficient.
Long term; we drove the car home already! Purchased extended warranty for 5yr/100,000miles for $1,550 additional so really just increased additional 2 yrs on top of the CPO warranty.

What you think?

-Tony
Old 06-14-10, 06:55 AM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you made a good decision then ... anything that fails in the 460 is expensive.
Old 06-14-10, 02:26 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tky2sol
Long term; we drove the car home already! Purchased extended warranty for 5yr/100,000miles for $1,550 additional so really just increased additional 2 yrs on top of the CPO warranty.

What you think?

-Tony
That's too bad. Its a waste of money. You are betting against the most reliable car on the road. If you just had to have the warranty, you could have negotiated it or purchased it from one of 'wholesale' sources posted on this website.
Old 06-14-10, 07:08 PM
stever500
Rookie

Originally Posted by miniz
That's too bad. Its a waste of money. You are betting against the most reliable car on the road. If you just had to have the warranty, you could have negotiated it or purchased it from one of 'wholesale' sources posted on this website.
Waste of money?!? That sounds kind of harsh. Is $1500 that expensive for 2 full extra years of coverage? What IS a good price for it then?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-14-10, 07:25 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stever500
Waste of money?!? That sounds kind of harsh. Is $1500 that expensive for 2 full extra years of coverage? What IS a good price for it then?

Thanks,
Steve
He already has a normal CPO warranty, so a good price would be $0 for the double extended warranty. The chances of something breaking in the extended period that would cost in excess of $1500 to fix is minimal to 'not going to happen'. If this were a German luxo sedan, then it might make a whole lot more sense.
Old 06-14-10, 08:20 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tky2sol, I was offered $2200 for the same deal at my dealer, and it was a plan that I had to buy on that day or not offered again. I thought it was ridiculous that I had to purchase it at signing so I did not purchase it. It was also non-negotiable. I suppose at $1500 it's not a bad deal.
Old 06-14-10, 08:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Post a pic up.

It is your peace of mind. For a long term driver, it carries out minimally so no worries. I tend not to take extended warranties though there are certain products that can be quite $$ and it is the bet against those. Can be a tough call though choosing a car like this Lexus gives you better odds.
Old 06-14-10, 08:33 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Hm... I find it funny that on the LS400 forum, everyone whines about how the quality in the LS460 has decreased from previous generations, yet on the LS460 forum, people still proclaim it as the most reliable car in the world!
Old 06-14-10, 11:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hm... I find it funny that on the LS400 forum, everyone whines about how the quality in the LS460 has decreased from previous generations, yet on the LS460 forum, people still proclaim it as the most reliable car in the world!
I have found ours to be quite good though there are nit picks with any car. The 1-2 LS have proven themselves as long term cars and the 3-LS is now getting into that range. I'm sure there are some 4-LS with high miles but the majority will just be getting broken in. With due maintenance, I expect the LS series to be well built and reliable just as the previous generations have been.

From what I have seen of the 460's, I've felt overall build quality was of proper level for this class of car. Same with the 430's. Only the ES series has there been discussion about a drop in interior feel-build. Overall, I feel Lexus is giving the buyer a good value regardless and each new gen adds more. Our LS is a pretty basic car compared to what is in the 460. We're talking 13 years of change there.
Old 06-15-10, 12:03 AM
tky2sol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miniz
The LS already has approx. 22k miles on it. Now the CPO warranty only provides up to 3yrs or 100,000mi, whichever comes first. I don't think I'll be driving 78,000 miles within 3yrs. My driving habit is approx. 15k per year which essentially will take 5 years from day I drive off to be in the 100k mile range so to pay approx. $65 per month AFTER the CPO warranty is up actually makes logically sense. I mean, let's face it, Lexus is reliable, but regardless it's not a Toyota Hilux (not that I'm a fan of pick-ups)!

Side-note: wiki Toyota Hilux and read under "Reputation." You'll know what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with this car.
Old 06-15-10, 12:08 AM
tky2sol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Congrats on the new ride. Post a pic up.

It is your peace of mind. For a long term driver, it carries out minimally so no worries. I tend not to take extended warranties though there are certain products that can be quite $$ and it is the bet against those. Can be a tough call though choosing a car like this Lexus gives you better odds.
Thanks RA40! Hopefully over the weekend, I'll find some time to take some pix. That same night, I'm already online searching for parts and accessories for the LS!
Old 06-15-10, 03:34 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tky2sol
The LS already has approx. 22k miles on it. Now the CPO warranty only provides up to 3yrs or 100,000mi, whichever comes first. I don't think I'll be driving 78,000 miles within 3yrs. My driving habit is approx. 15k per year which essentially will take 5 years from day I drive off to be in the 100k mile range so to pay approx. $65 per month AFTER the CPO warranty is up actually makes logically sense. I mean, let's face it, Lexus is reliable, but regardless it's not a Toyota Hilux (not that I'm a fan of pick-ups)!

Side-note: wiki Toyota Hilux and read under "Reputation." You'll know what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with this car.
Keep track of exactly how much you spend in the extended warranty period. Bet it is under $1500. This car hasn't won the most reliable production car award every single year for nothing and your dealer isn't loosing money selling warranties.
Old 07-07-10, 06:47 AM
madlad
Driver

Default Cpo warranty

I too bought a LS with the 3-year warranty. The dealership tried to sell an additional 2 year warranty at about the same price point. My thinking is that it's a "gift" to the dealership. If you experience a number of warranty episodes during the 3-year CPO period, you should get rid of the car and make it someone else's problem. Alternatively, wait two years, then buy an extended warranty if you plan to keep the car...it'll cost more then,but you won't be financing $1,500 over 3,4, or 5 years (unless you've covered the additional 2 years with your down payment or paid cash for the car). If you have no warranty episodes, you've paid $1,500 for nothing.

Quick Reply: CPO extended warranty? Worth it?