LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO extended warranty? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 07:15 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I wouldn't say its a waste of money. It does give you additional peace of mind, and if something does break, almost nothing on this car can be repaired/replaced for less than $1500. Recently someone posted about a broken touch screen and the dealer quoted something like $13,000 to replace it!
Old 07-07-10, 07:38 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I wouldn't say its a waste of money. It does give you additional peace of mind, and if something does break, almost nothing on this car can be repaired/replaced for less than $1500. Recently someone posted about a broken touch screen and the dealer quoted something like $13,000 to replace it!
If you don't use it, its a waste of money. There is no other way to put it. Chances are, you won't need it with this car. There is no such thing as piece of mind when it comes to cars. There is wasting money and there is not wasting money on services that are specifically designed for the house to win. If this was a BMW 7 series, then I'd tell you not to own the car without a warranty because chances are you will need it. oh, and the smashed Navi screen for $13,000 would not be covered by warranty.....as it was caused by his ex-wife throwing a fit.
Old 07-07-10, 08:00 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

oh, and the smashed Navi screen for $13,000 would not be covered by warranty.....as it was caused by his ex-wife throwing a fit.

So if it just stopped working on its own, it wouldn't cost $13,000 to replace?

Look, your point is well taken. Its a reliable vehicle and most people will not use the policy. However, its like any other insurance you buy, you pay for it and hope you never have to use it. I've paid for home insurance and health insurance all my life and never filed a claim on either of them. Was that a waste of money? I guess it was in hindsight. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of hindsight 40 years ago.

Even on my car insurance, I have filed theft and collision claims over the years, but I've paid out more in premiums than I collected. Interestingly enough these are not required coverages in my state. The required coverages, like bodily injury and property damage, have never had a claim.

And I'm not even gonna get into life insurance!

BTW, I don't have an extended warranty, so I have no dog in this hunt. JMO.
Old 07-07-10, 08:29 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
If you don't use it, its a waste of money. There is no other way to put it. Chances are, you won't need it with this car. There is no such thing as piece of mind when it comes to cars. There is wasting money and there is not wasting money on services that are specifically designed for the house to win. If this was a BMW 7 series, then I'd tell you not to own the car without a warranty because chances are you will need it. oh, and the smashed Navi screen for $13,000 would not be covered by warranty.....as it was caused by his ex-wife throwing a fit.
It's a personal choice of course, and I am one who usually avoids extended warranties, but I will be getting an extended warranty on my LS460 later this year. My car has everything but the exec package, and the Lexus warranty is a one price fits all item, same cost for a stripped down car as one that's fully loaded. So my thinking is the more gadgets on the car the better deal the warranty is. A single repair could easily pay for the warranty.
Old 07-08-10, 05:07 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm planning on purchasing my LS600hL out of lease next month. By the way, it's one of the vehicles affected by the recent recall......

I also plan on purchasing the 7 YEAR 100,000 MILES extended warranty.

In 3 more years (At my current driving rate), there'll still be 12 months and 15-20K miles on the warranty, at which point I'll sell it.

My thinking is that:

1. I have some protection in case anything major occurs (admittedly unlikely) within the next 3 years.

2. The fact that a 6 year old car with 85,000 miles on it is still under bumper to bumper warranty should make the car worth more, or at least easier to sell. I may be able to recover some of the warranty cost......

HBH
Old 07-08-10, 06:08 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
the more gadgets on the car the better deal the warranty is
Just curious, does the extended warranty cover everything? Like if the nav screen decided to stop, would the warranty cover it as well?

I thought warranty was only for major things (engine/tranny and things of that nature).
Old 07-08-10, 07:45 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Off topic: HELMAR, how did you make that bug thing under your name? I seriously thought a bug got into mt iPad!!
Old 07-08-10, 08:02 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bug? What bug?

Originally Posted by daryll40
... how did you make that bug thing under your name?...
It's an animated gif that I uploaded as my profile picture.

Annoying, isn't it

If you want to use it yourself, just right click on the image and select "Save Image As".

By the way, some historical computer trivia:

Did you know how the term "Bug" (as it pertains to computers) originated?

It was coined in the early 1950's by Grace Cooper (U S Navy) to describe the problem caused by a moth shorting out one of the vacuum tubes in the computer she was using.

HBH
Old 07-08-10, 08:19 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yeah, it's annoying but I did laugh out loud once I figured it out. I was scrolling up and down and the bug moved with it. Finally a vacuum tube in my head went off....yeah, but in the vacuum tube like the good 'ol days.
Old 07-08-10, 12:10 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
Just curious, does the extended warranty cover everything? Like if the nav screen decided to stop, would the warranty cover it as well?

I thought warranty was only for major things (engine/tranny and things of that nature).
The Lexus extended warranty (and I've heard too many horror stories about 3rd party warranties to consider one) basically covers everything the original new car warranty covers.
Old 02-23-11, 10:46 AM
kainedogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am presently on the fence about a 3rd party warranty, as I scour the ads for a good used Ultra Luxury '07
Old 02-23-11, 11:12 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

i think i read on here that after the Valve Spring Replacement the warranty was extended out to 100K.

is there any truth to that?
Old 02-23-11, 12:36 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I've had good luck with WARRANTY DIRECT aftermarket warranties.
Old 02-23-11, 12:48 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

The full original warranty was not extended, only the power train or some such thing was extended. There have been numerous discussions regarding this on this forum. Search for VSR.
Old 02-23-11, 01:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its worth it. Can you imagine what an electrical problem etc would cost to fix in the LS. Lexus makes a great car but cars fall apart with time. Why chance it. I figure at worst it will be like just paying for the needed repairs upfront

Quick Reply: CPO extended warranty? Worth it?