LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bimmer Benz or Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 07:31 PM
Kampbell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bimmer Benz or Lexus

Hello all......

I had a quick question....and I would need an unbiased answer. If you had to chose between the three S-Class, 7 series or LS (07-current) which would you pick. Whether it be service....loaner car....warranty, anything, why does your pick set itself aside from the rest.......thanks for letting me pick your brains......
Old 06-11-10, 07:52 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

I would say dollar for dollar Lexus. Reliability and better build.
Old 06-11-10, 08:55 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

it's all depend on what you want. IMO, if you want power, go with the benz. if you love cornering then take the bimmer, and if you want the smooth ride take the lexus.
Old 06-11-10, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me, 7 is out of the door first. a car like this, i want more class and comfort, and 7 is too rough for me. i think s and ls are really a tie. i don't like the exterior of the s as much as the ls, but i think the s has more presence. and of course, ls is cheaper
Old 06-11-10, 11:10 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My coworker has a S500 and to be honest I hate the interior. I tell her to get rid of it all the time. I've driven my bosses 750Li. Wasnt bad. I like the 750 better than the S class.

Dollar for dollar and reliablity put's the LS #1.

If only I can afford a LF-A
Old 06-12-10, 12:30 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father has an LS460, and his brother (my uncle) has an S550, so I get a taste of both. Ride wise I think the LS460 is more comfortable, as a passenger.

I've only driven the LS460 and can only compare it to an IS350. Compared to an IS350, the LS460 drives like a large boat, but I suppose this is to be expected in this particular segment.

I would imagine the S550 drives similarly though, but I haven't driven it myself.

Acceleration wise, both have the same acceleration. 0 to 60 in mid to high 5s. Very good for a large executive sedan. Somehow I doubt most people in this segment care about acceleration, though.

My father would have gotten an S550 were it not for his atrocious experience with his previous benz (maintenance/reliability-wise). The LS460 was his first Lexus and he's been very pleased.
Old 06-12-10, 05:53 AM
stever500
Rookie

To the original poster: Have you driven all 3 of these cars? What we tell you isn't going to help you that much in the end, I think. What you experience by driving them will help you the most. I LOVE the S550 but can't afford one. The exterior of the 750Li does nothing for me and I'm a BMW guy tried and true. I am really warming up to the 07 LS460 myself but haven't been swayed enough just yet to make the move.

Good luck with your decision. What do you think after driving all 3? That's the most important part, your impression.
Old 06-12-10, 06:00 AM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can add the Audi A8L to this mix as well ... I have driven all of them minus the 750Li, the S550 is more elegant to me interior wise, and drives with more force and power. However, the Lexus is superior in ride & comfort as well as durability and reliability. The Audi is a little bit of a mix of all of them, and I like the fact that it is more "exotic" looking and are much less seen on the road.
Old 06-12-10, 10:45 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stever500
To the original poster: Have you driven all 3 of these cars? What we tell you isn't going to help you that much in the end, I think. What you experience by driving them will help you the most. I LOVE the S550 but can't afford one. The exterior of the 750Li does nothing for me and I'm a BMW guy tried and true. I am really warming up to the 07 LS460 myself but haven't been swayed enough just yet to make the move.

Good luck with your decision. What do you think after driving all 3? That's the most important part, your impression.
I agree 100%.

You def need to drive all three cars (REALLY drive them) on your list, take notes of your likes and dislikes of the three. Then go over what you wrote dwn, weight the pros & cons along with what matters to you most and what compromises you are willing to make (or not). You will know what car is for you after your research on the net and in the feild b/c in the end you will be the one who has to live with what's in your garage (not us) Last have fun with your search!
Old 06-12-10, 12:47 PM
Maurice
Driver

I went from an '07 LS460 to a '10 750i.
I like the 7 much more. Handling, Luxury, features, looks, maintenance included.
On comfort mode is not rough at all, in sports mode has great handling. So far zero issues in 4 months.

I have been reading great reviews of the '11 740i - a 6 cylinder. Better mileage, little sacrifice in power and less expensive.
Old 06-12-10, 02:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Buying pre-owned or new? How long do you intend to drive it? Much boils down to your preferences. Reading through the forum you'll see what longevity Lexus offers its owners. If that is valuable and for those who want a car long term, to me this is the choice. If buying for status within a warranty period, Audi, BMW or MB are fine choices as well.

Our friends with Audi, BMW and MB all have varying instances of repairs within warranty. Some mild, others extended. They are on a treadmill of leased cars so if they have too many problems, they trade-in for another. What amuses me among them is when it came time to buy for long term, they've brought home Camrys or Accords.

At least for me, though I do enjoy the BMW 7 or MB S, my use of the car is long term. I am confident with the Toyota product that it will serve well in that regard.
Old 06-12-10, 07:25 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned them all. I am currently driving a 2010 LS Sport which adds an element of sport to the drive. All of these cars are great. I find the BMW a bit sterile and rough around the edges and I hate turbos (personal taste). I love the S550 but don't like the issues around reliability that I have experienced with Mercedes nor the service level at the shop. I really like Lexus. To me it is the perfect brand re: quality, price and customer service. Sure some people are going to say it is a glorified Toyota but those people are not correct. It is a level way above that. If you don't believe me spend 5 minutes in a Lexus showroom and then dare to enter a Toyota store with the balloons and all. I have written about this before in other threads and feel your choice will depend on what you want from the car. All are great, all are luxurious but they are as different as three wines that happen to be red. Try them all and decide what makes you happy. The only thing objective here, as far as I'm concerned, is the reliability reports and purchase price and those may drive your decision as well. Good luck with you choice. You won't be disappointed whatever you do.
Old 06-12-10, 11:20 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were to pick it would be the S-Class based on looks and etc.! If not for the reliability issues of Benz that is. Lexus is the more solid buy, while BMW has looks and handling,its the least reliable. That said, put reliability aside and just going of what I like the most with the eyes and senses, the Benz is my pick. Sorry fellow members, I dont care for the new LS body style(its not bad) because I still feel Lexus is looking for itself flagship WISE in terms of exterior styling anyway. Now, if were talking all around buy(cost especially and reliability being my #1 deal maker) I say LS460 any year or LS600!

I still drive a LS because its reliable and have owned a S-Class and the Benz just had to many trips to the service department. YES, it attracted much attention(Im not into that, didnt matter to me) but, what people didnt see is at least once a month was the average for service/repair issues! Now for BMW, it drives like a dream and looks great as well(Benz level looks) but, has more issues than Benz with service/repair visits and the resale is a far drop for the price! Final thought is any of the cars is a good buy because its like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder! A friend of mine loves Benz and the service/repair visits dont bother him at all. Thats what matters ultimately, what is seen as good and bad isnt the same for all car buyers! For me, the reliability is my #1 issue. L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 06-12-10 at 11:31 PM. Reason: many
Old 06-13-10, 04:56 AM
BAD RIDES

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both vechiles and I can do the lex but if you looking for more performance the bimmer is they way to go but have a piggy bank full it exspensive to maintain and mod a bimmer trust me I know Im doing coilovers and work to my bimmer this week $$$$
Old 06-13-10, 03:54 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gee, do you think you might get some different answers if you asked this question on the Mercedes or BMW forums? Just a guess......but you probably would.

Quick Reply: Bimmer Benz or Lexus