LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlights / Bumper Removal

Old 06-05-10, 10:55 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights / Bumper Removal

I know this may be kinda tacky to some but i keep seeing these audi's driving around and the headlights with the LED DRL's always catch my eye. I ordered a set of led DRL and i want to install them either inside the headlight housing or around the rim of the housing if i cant get the font plastic off. If anyone one has taken these apart sucessfully, please help with your instructions.

I need to know :

how to remove the bumper cover so i can access the bolts that holds the headlights in.

If anyone has opened the headlight assembly without damaging the plastic lens . I've seen some other guys toss a toyota matrix assembly in the oven at 350 for 3 minutes to soften the adhesive and then pry apart the front lens off the housing. Would this work with the ls460 or would it damage some of the internals. I have hid and the movable projectors (afs i think its called)

I will post a complete DIY tutorial with pix upon completion.

Last edited by tony2fingr; 06-05-10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 05:32 AM
adammb
Rookie

The bumpers are super easy to remove. They are held with a simple 10mm bolt ot each corner in the wheel well and then the clips under the hood and on the bottom of hte bumper. After that it should just be the side retainers that you have to just pull the bumper out of on the sides where you took the bolts out. Also there is a clip that the bolt goes through that is usually easier to just pull out before you remove the bumper.
Old 06-07-10, 07:04 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

Default DYI Audi style DRL's

Thanks adam for the info on taking off the bumper.

Here's the DYI and some finished pix of the headlights. I decided to mount them outside the headlight houseing. Seems like taking them apart would be too tedious and there is no place to put the led without being unsightly.

Remove the shrouds and covers under the hood. there are a bunch of plastic buttons you need to pop off to get to the grill.

Unbolt the grill in the center and two plastic buttons under the shroulds and one ten mm bolt in the middle. After that the grill is held on with plastic clips moulded to the shroud.

Take off bumper: Two plastic screw's/clips hold on the fender shroud, and one ten mm bolt under the extreme top of bumper on each side. eight 10 mm bolts under bumper hold the bottom half together and top half is secure with plastic tabs the fit into bumper. pry down at the tabs to loosen and pop off the bumper.

Headlight housing has two 10mm bolt on left and right of housing. remove those and there is a disposable plastic grommet that breaks when you pop out the headlight. get a new one from lexus or reuse the broken one with 2 out of three tabs left to hold in place.

I didnt get a chance to do this but i would recomend that you mask the outer rim of the headlight where you would like the led's to be taped to, the bumper assembly and headlight does not fit in perfectly so if you tape the led's exactly where the outer rim of the light is, you would expose the entire led assembly too much and have to adjust after its taped on. I had to jam the led back in a bit so it doesnt stick out too much and look like a tacky aftermarket job.
PM me if you want the ebay link to buy the led's i used. they were $27 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails Headlights / Bumper Removal-6553798.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-6553799.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-6553803.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-photo-2.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-photo-3.jpg  

Old 06-07-10, 07:05 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

Default close ups

more close ups
Attached Thumbnails Headlights / Bumper Removal-photo-4.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-photo.jpg  
Old 06-07-10, 07:50 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

need night time pictures.. but those look very cheap..
too spread out..
also.. why so high? can you put them on the bottom instead and maybe shorten it and make it more dense?
Old 06-07-10, 09:43 PM
tony2fingr
Driver School Candidate

here's the best my i phone can do in the dark but pictures dont do it justice.
You cant really mount them lower because the headlight washers are in the way, and the spacing is dictated by the manufacture at 1 every inch.
Attached Thumbnails Headlights / Bumper Removal-securedownload.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-securedownload1.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-securedownload2.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-securedownload3.jpg   Headlights / Bumper Removal-securedownload4.jpg  

Old 04-17-14, 06:21 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony2fingr

Headlight housing has two 10mm bolt on left and right of housing. remove those and there is a disposable plastic grommet that breaks when you pop out the headlight. get a new one from lexus or reuse the broken one with 2 out of three tabs left to hold in place.

Need help, because I don't want to break anything.
I am able to see the two 10mm bolt, where is the disposable plastic grommet located?

Trying to remove the headlight to take out the LED bulb in the Nike black hole.
Telescoping magnet failed on first attempt and it went all the way in that can't even be reached.
Thanks.
Old 04-17-14, 07:37 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

ok, found the white plastic part.
can be seen from opening the wheel fender looking toward the end of the headlight.

finally got the bulb out from the nike black hole. very happy.
a lot of work for this.... but learned a lot about the car.
Old 04-17-14, 09:51 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good! I reccomend upgrading the nike lights, search up the DIY to match the brightness of your LED's.
Old 04-18-14, 06:05 AM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you happen to know the part number for the disposable plastic grommets, or should the parts department know what I am looking for?

Have to swap out my headlights shortly.
Old 04-18-14, 11:20 AM
Lexus4me
Driver

The one I removed already have the white disposable plastic grommets missing. Hopefully that doesn't have too much effect on the light output angle.

My other headlight have the plastic grommets.

post#3 says the headlight have two 10mm bolt, it should be three. two by the grill area and one toward the wheel.
Old 04-23-14, 12:03 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

Lexus Part: GROMMET, SCREW

Part NO.: 81119-50280