LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trunk Will Not Open/Trunk Jammed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 09:22 AM
nmumford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Will Not Open/Trunk Jammed

Last Sunday I packed the trunk of 2007 LS 460 full. When I closed the trunk a strap from a backpack became jammed into the trunk lock. The trunk would not open with either the key or the internal release. I called Lexus Road side help and they told me to go to a dealer. The dealer was able to open the trunk by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds. After reconnecting the battery, they releasing the trunk using the internal release while another person pushed down on the lid. This took all of 10 minutes.

None of these instructions are in the TIS database. I hope this saves someone a bad day with no access to the trunk.
Old 06-05-10, 09:43 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nmumford
Last Sunday I packed the trunk of 2007 LS 460 full. When I closed the trunk a strap from a backpack became jammed into the trunk lock. The trunk would not open with either the key or the internal release. I called Lexus Road side help and they told me to go to a dealer. The dealer was able to open the trunk by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds. After reconnecting the battery, they releasing the trunk using the internal release while another person pushed down on the lid. This took all of 10 minutes.

None of these instructions are in the TIS database. I hope this saves someone a bad day with no access to the trunk.
When you say internal release do you mean the button inside the car or the emergency release located inside the trunk? Did you close the trunk by hand or with the power closer? I have seen other reports of this with very expensive outcomes, this is good info.
Old 06-06-10, 03:42 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me a while ago.
Heres what i did:

Use the manual Key in either the smart key or the remote to open the trunk...
Using ure right hand insert and rotate the key( while keeping it in the open position )
pull the trunk upwards.

I asked a friend to help me with the pulling and it worked.

Another thing:

Your trunk mite be closed from the button inside the glove box.That button wont allow the trunk to open its like securing the trunk when u have some valuable things in there by hitting the button inside the glove box. Try hitting that and check whether the trunk will open.

BEST
Old 07-11-10, 07:36 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

well, i am waiting for my wife to arrive with a wrench so i can disconnect the battery. before finding this i destroyed the trunk with a crowbar attempting to pry it. $$$$$$$$$
wish i had set up my computer first and did a search. never knew this forum existed. i hope this works. thanks.
Old 07-11-10, 08:40 AM
whatisayut
Driver School Candidate

Default trunk locked

Originally Posted by whatisayut
well, i am waiting for my wife to arrive with a wrench so i can disconnect the battery. before finding this i destroyed the trunk with a crowbar attempting to pry it. $$$$$$$$$
wish i had set up my computer first and did a search. never knew this forum existed. i hope this works. thanks.

well, disconnecting the battery did reset something as I was able to move the trunk a little bit while somebody help the trunk release button under the steering wheel. However it wouldn't open all the way until I used the manual key in the trunk lid, after doing the battery reset. Shame on lexus for not knowing this when I called them and putting it in the manual. Now my wife wants a new car because the trunks crashed!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 07-06-12, 08:21 PM
Apolyton
Driver School Candidate

Default Just unlocked the trunk

Just unlocked the trunk! Was able to open the trunk by disconnecting the battery. This worked just fine. Thank you all for taking the time to post solutions.
Old 07-07-12, 01:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Wow Apolyton, your first post and you used the search function perfectly on your own! Kudos!

And, welcome to the Club, don't be a stranger.
Old 11-17-12, 08:04 AM
iMotion
Driver School Candidate

WTH!!! My trunk is stuck too. It's a LS600hL so my battery is in the trunk and can't be disconnected with the trunk not opening. I can't reach the trunk from inside the car because its a damn hybrid. Really irritated.
Old 11-17-12, 08:15 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I think the thing that worked was pushing down on the trunk while releasing it. As for the battery, I don't think that is necessary.

You might get some helpful information here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...procedure.html
Old 11-17-12, 02:53 PM
iMotion
Driver School Candidate

I tried pushing down on the trunk, unlock with key, and have someone help push it up. Didn't for work me. Went to dealership, got charged $120, and waited 2 hours.
Old 11-18-12, 02:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by iMotion
I tried pushing down on the trunk, unlock with key, and have someone help push it up. Didn't for work me. Went to dealership, got charged $120, and waited 2 hours.
Two questions, how did they fix it, and why didn't your warranty cover it? Even if it wasn't under warranty, you woud think with a $124,000 vehicle they would do it gratis.
Old 11-19-12, 06:07 AM
iMotion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Two questions, how did they fix it, and why didn't your warranty cover it? Even if it wasn't under warranty, you woud think with a $124,000 vehicle they would do it gratis.
They didn't tell me how they did it and warranty just ran out. The car is a 2008. Out of all my cars I've never had a trunk not open, didn't expect such a BS problem from our nicest car.
Just irritated because I had food in the trunk because we were getting ready for a pre thanksgiving dinner with friends at my house. Had to drive 45 min to the dealer, wait for them to fix it, drive all the way home, and rush to cook the food before people started arriving at my home.
Old 12-03-12, 01:20 AM
duncan52
Driver School Candidate

Post LS 460 Trunk locked

Hi

My trunk was jammed with a coat jammed in the locking mechanism, I tried every way to open the lock ether by the car trunk switch or the mechanical key pushing and pulling twisting and jaring with no luck
I even called out the AA who also had no luck.

The solution that worked was the one posted on the forum which was to disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and then pressing down on the trunk operate the trunk button, and yes success thanks very much for the help and iI hope that this solution will help others
Old 12-03-12, 04:35 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by duncan52

The solution that worked was the one posted on the forum which was to disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and then pressing down on the trunk operate the trunk button, and yes success thanks very much for the help and iI hope that this solution will help others
Thanks for letting us know of your success.
Old 05-04-15, 04:54 PM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Cool 08 ES350 with a trunk that won't open.....the saga continues

A few weeks ago I was unloading some things from my trunk. It was dark and wet outside, and when I closed it, the first time it didn't close so I tried again a little harder...and it closed but now will not open. I tried all the typical things...key fob, inside release, the glove compartment button, taking the posts of the battery, etc etc...and finally, today I took it to the Lexus dealer. They took it back to the shop and 45 minutes later told me they tried all the tricks they know, ran computer diagnostics that showed no obvious problem...and referred me to their preferred autobody shop and told me they would have to cut into the trunk to remove the lock assembly and then replace or repair it, and do the necessary body work to the trunk. ARGH! They think something got lodged in the locking mechanism and hat's why it won't open. You can hear the beep when using the FOB to try to open the truck and the click using the inside button. Has anyone had this happen? Is there any recourse besides paying probably thousand to have the trunk cut open to do the repair? Oh...and to top it off, I even tried accessing the trunk via the little hatch door to pull down the emergency trunk release using my umbrella and the little green tab thingy promptly broke into pieces. Turns out there is a recall on it, but they can't get inside to fix it anyway. ps...none of my grandkids are small enough to fit back there thru the hatch hole to see if they can see anything lodged in it and remove it. Helppppp.

Quick Reply: Trunk Will Not Open/Trunk Jammed