LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Video options for LS460 with ML system

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 11:32 AM
adammb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video options for LS460 with ML system

I have a 2007 LS460L with ML and am wondering what my options are for addin tv screens to it. From what I read the system already has a dvd player in the dash. Can I add monitors to it and use it to play dvds? I know there is an overhead option from Lexus and I dont want to even imagine how much that console and needed items cost. I think I want to do headrest monitors but want to know if they can be fed via the dvd changer in the dash.

I'm sure someone else has ran into this and hopefully you can give me some help and guidance.
Old 06-04-10, 02:28 PM
adammb
Rookie

Has anyone added the OEM overhead unit to their ML system? I've seen it offered without the executive option so it must be able to be added and usually the harness will have the plugs for it so in theory you could just add it but some times you have to buy alot of little add on things that makes the price skyrocket. The list price for the unit is a bit over 1200 and I can get 28% off of that so it would be cheaper than prebuilt headrest monitors
Old 06-05-10, 04:38 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had asked this question over a year ago after seeing a post from somsone who did put headrest screens in tied to the head ML unit but I could never get him to elaborate or return a PM. I think it would be great to add headrest screens to the ML for those of us who have done the PS modification and can use the DVD while in motion. I suspect the OEM rear unit does not integrate with the head unit due to the moving lockout feature of the ML head unit from the factory.

There was a mention of a custom made wiring harness if I recall his post. Id have to search fro it. Still didnt elaborate or say much about it, so could have been BS.
Old 06-05-10, 10:01 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
I had asked this question over a year ago after seeing a post from somsone who did put headrest screens in tied to the head ML unit but I could never get him to elaborate or return a PM. I think it would be great to add headrest screens to the ML for those of us who have done the PS modification and can use the DVD while in motion. I suspect the OEM rear unit does not integrate with the head unit due to the moving lockout feature of the ML head unit from the factory.

There was a mention of a custom made wiring harness if I recall his post. Id have to search fro it. Still didnt elaborate or say much about it, so could have been BS.
The rear seat entertainment system does tie into the head unit. The DVD player in the ML system functions will driving, the disc will continue to play and you can hear audio, it just locks out the video from displaying on the front screen.

The rear seat system can display the DVD that's playing in the changer. I don't think the front screen can display an image from the rear seat DVD player, but the rear seat DVD audio can be fed to the ML audio system.
Old 06-06-10, 06:37 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Jim,

What we are trying to figure out is those cars that do not have the rear seat system which is the overhead unit, can we add headrest screens that tie into the front head unit. Youre right in that the ML locks out the video, but thats without the PS mod which does allow for playback while driving. Seems simple to split out the video feed to two screens in the headrests, but I just havent seen anyone do it.
Old 06-06-10, 10:49 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smileman83
Jim,

What we are trying to figure out is those cars that do not have the rear seat system which is the overhead unit, can we add headrest screens that tie into the front head unit. Youre right in that the ML locks out the video, but thats without the PS mod which does allow for playback while driving. Seems simple to split out the video feed to two screens in the headrests, but I just havent seen anyone do it.
The wiring diagram shows a video output from the radio receiver assembly to the rear seat entertainment ECU. Not sure if these wires are in every vehicle or if the harness is different when there is a rear seat entertainment system.

So it looks like a video output is available, it's a question of whether the wires are already in place. The connector is L56 on the radio, an 8-pin connector that also provides the video signal to the nav screen.

Pin 5 is NTRO which I am assuming means NTSC REAR OUT, 6 is ground, 7 is shield. I would suspect that this video signal is present regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion or not, since it's intended for rear seat viewing.

It should be pretty easy to hang a video monitor on those pins and see if there is a signal there.

I will be installing a set of vizualogic DVD headrests in my '07 next week. I was more interested in finding a way to put an external video signal into the front screen, but it will be a good time to do some experimenting.
Old 06-07-10, 05:38 AM
adammb
Rookie

Keep me updated as I am very interested
Old 06-07-10, 02:42 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The Prestigious Society NAV Override will provide DVD Video playback on the Front Dash Monitor if that's what you're looking for.
Old 06-07-10, 07:28 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by adammb
Has anyone added the OEM overhead unit to their ML system? I've seen it offered without the executive option so it must be able to be added and usually the harness will have the plugs for it so in theory you could just add it but some times you have to buy alot of little add on things that makes the price skyrocket. The list price for the unit is a bit over 1200 and I can get 28% off of that so it would be cheaper than prebuilt headrest monitors
There are some good deals to be had on Ebay for headrest systems. The chances of finding an exact match to your vehicle are slim, but you can do pretty well by buying a used system for another vehicle and buying new headrests for your vehicle. I recently bought a set of used Vizualogic A-1250s, headrest monitors with built-in DVD players, for $175. I'm using the hardware with a set of new custom headrests specifically for my LS460, $300 for the pair, so under $500 for the whole system.

Each screen can select from 4 sources: It's built-in DVD player, the other headrest's DVD player, a front-panel A/V input, or an external source input to the junction box that ties the units together.

I was originally planning on using a WD 'Live' media player for the aux source, but now I might try hooking up the extra video out on the ML system as the aux source.
Old 06-08-10, 04:59 AM
adammb
Rookie

$300 for the custom headrests?!!!!!!????! Where did you get those? Do they look like the originals? I was going to try and remove the back of my headrests and custom make a backplate for the monitors. I would be very interested to know what the other equipment you have used and how you wired them up.

Thanks
Old 06-08-10, 08:15 AM
smileman83
Rookie

I agree there are many standalone options, but I think having the ability to use the front head unit then allows for the wonderful surround sound ML system. Having put in the PS modification, I didnt notice any other outputs, but will be very interested in seeing if its possible. To me that would be the true advantage of having the PS mod for rear seat viewing.
Old 06-08-10, 09:45 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

$300 for the custom headrests?!!!!!!????! Where did you get those? Do they look like the originals? I was going to try and remove the back of my headrests and custom make a backplate for the monitors. I would be very interested to know what the other equipment you have used and how you wired them up.

Thanks
I ordered the headrests from a local shop that sells Vizualogic. They are supposed to be a very good match to the original headrests. I should have them later this week and will post some pictures. The system I have is the A-1250, you can see it at vizualogic.com.
Old 06-14-10, 07:15 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Thanks
I have my headrests. Color match looks very good. The shape is different because the stock headrests have a curved back, and these have a flat back to accommodate the screens. I will try to post some pics soon.
Old 06-15-10, 09:27 AM
adammb
Rookie

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
I have my headrests. Color match looks very good. The shape is different because the stock headrests have a curved back, and these have a flat back to accommodate the screens. I will try to post some pics soon.
Please do
Old 06-23-10, 05:09 AM
adammb
Rookie

Jim,

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Video options for LS460 with ML system