LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2009-2010 LS 460/600h L VGRS recall (software update)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 05:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009-2010 LS 460/600h L VGRS recall (software update)

Just out on the Japanese news wires, but apparently, a recall involving "changes [to the] VGRS configuration control program" on the 2010 LS, introduced in fall 2009, has been decided upon, according to the source, Yoimuri News.

12,000 units sold in U.S., Europe, Japan, and China since Fall 2009 will be affected. This affects the refreshed model introduced last year, not older models.

The translation states the following issue:

According to the ministry, VGRS improper control program, such as when turning a corner at low speed, straight from the state cut back to full left or right handle, straight past the position of the handle position, opposite Continue straight past the car in the direction out. Handle returns to normal position if you run in just a few seconds.
There have been 12 complaints of VGRS (variable gear ratio steering) response in Japan during low speed turns on the 2010 LS. Sounds like a software update is to follow.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/new...OYT1T00021.htm

http://translate.google.com/translat...tm&sl=ja&tl=en
Old 05-19-10, 07:23 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Article

TOKYO (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. is preparing to recall 11,500 Lexus vehicles worldwide for problems related to steering.

The company plans to recall 7,000 vehicles overseas, including 3,800 in the U.S., and 4,500 units in Japan, said Mieko Iwasaki, a spokeswoman for the carmaker.

Toyota is recalling four Lexus models, the LS 460, LS 460 L, LS 600h, and LS 600h L.

The cars were sold in the United States, Europe and China and in Japan. In Japan, customers have complained about wheels not returning to original positions fast enough after making turns, Iwasaki said. The problem is both mechanical and software- related, she said.

Separately, Toyota said last month it will recall the Lexus GX 460 sport-utility vehicle that Consumer Reports magazine rated a “safety risk” because the model can roll over in certain driving conditions.

About 13,000 GX 460s were repaired, including 9,400 in the U.S. and the rest in countries including Russia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Canada, according to the automaker.
Old 05-19-10, 06:21 PM
dtrose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota recalling Lexus LSs over steering issue

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37239533/ns/business-autos/
Old 05-19-10, 06:25 PM
useer 6282920
10th Gear

Interesting... Just Sunday while driving in the burbs I did a u-turn and after bringing the car straight the steering wheel was still 30 degrees off center. The car was headed straight, but it took probably 10 seconds for the steering wheel to center. Sorta freaked me out as your so used to the steering wheel being straight when the car is pointed straight.

Nice to see they are addressing it, but disappoints me that it happened
Old 05-20-10, 11:48 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default LS Recall

Have you guys read that the LS is being recalled soon for the VGRS...it needs new firmware apparently.

Does anyone have an issue with this? I guess it's only customers in Japan that have registered complaints. I hope not here too much...I'm in the market for a LS.
Old 05-21-10, 12:25 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im very concerned with the future of Lexus/Toyota. Each time we think its over, we see another recall or issue. What is going on in Toyota/Lexus. I can say I had some issues, not many with my 2001 LS430 but, they were all TSb issues handled with little fanfare or the opposite of fanfare,hahahaha! Seems the issues are factory and design related as well as software. Lexus started with a bang with the 1st generation LS and improved with a moderate redesign with the 2nd generation. Then came the LS 430 which is ok in looks but has been good in regards to troubles with the car. The 2007-2010 LS has has its issues, now this. I feel for the recent customers of Lexus because this isnt the Lexus I know. My dealer has slacked recently along with these issues of recalls to go with it.

Lexus has to straighten Up and fly right before dedicted customers go to BEnz,BMw and JAg. Why? The reason Lexus did as well as it has was price and reliability so, having reliability become an issue takes away from Lexus' claim to fame. This is why I left Benz, lack of reliability and why I have been reluctant to buy the LS 460 among other issues. Hope the best for ALL my fellow members who own the LS460, things will be ok ladies/gents. L.G.N.M
Old 05-22-10, 06:04 PM
zlexus
Driver School Candidate

I reported this problem to Lexus customer service in March after the dealer said this steering wheel problem was normal. Common sense told me this was not normal. I wrote to Lexus a couple of times, and received a couple of phone calls from their customer service. But the problem on my LS 460 remained unresolved.

I posted the problem at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...l-problem.html, and received very helpful responses from readers.

I am glad that Lexus finally admitted that this is a problem. Later is better than never. I cannot wait to bring the car back to the dealer to fix the problem.
Old 05-24-10, 01:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Lexus Suspends Sales of LS Models

CNBC just reported that Toyota is suspending sales of the LS models due to the steering problems, film at 11.
Old 05-24-10, 01:59 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

yeah, just started reading some of the articles online. TMC says it'll take about 3 weeks to get those steering wheel parts.
Old 05-24-10, 03:53 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh shi..! I would expected this from any other product but the LS. This doesn't look good.
Old 05-24-10, 05:15 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Chill. In 6 months no one will ever remember this. It's noise. The LS is the finest passenger car ever mass produced.
Old 05-24-10, 09:05 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I remember a few years back Lexus replaced LS430 6 speed transmissions and fuel pumps, in a one day service. As I recall they had 14,000 transmissions replaced. Went in with an empty tank and left with a full tank at the end of the day. A month later I received a letter from Lexus HQ expressing their regrets and inconvenience and included Chevron Credit cards for $200 to cover any inconvenience or dissatisfaction I might have encountered. It was all conducted low key, no media, a non event.
Old 05-24-10, 11:56 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Exactly. People who could never afford an LS will have a great time bad mouthing our cars..."schadenfraude". But the fix will be swift and complete and the cars will continue to be the finest, quietest, most bulletproof vehicles ever mass produced.
Old 05-25-10, 04:38 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RGSW
I remember a few years back Lexus replaced LS430 6 speed transmissions and fuel pumps, in a one day service. As I recall they had 14,000 transmissions replaced. Went in with an empty tank and left with a full tank at the end of the day. A month later I received a letter from Lexus HQ expressing their regrets and inconvenience and included Chevron Credit cards for $200 to cover any inconvenience or dissatisfaction I might have encountered. It was all conducted low key, no media, a non event.
Yup - I was one of those involved in the LS430 transmission and fuel pump recall. Got a Lexus loaner, in/out in one day and got a BP gas card and a letter of apology from the President of Lexus USA. By the way, the transmission recall was made because of the POSSIBILITY of a problem - none were ever reported. Handled very efficiently and with no fanfare - pretty much painless.

With the exception of the 2007 wind noise problem from what I'm aware of every Lexus issue has been dealt with very professionally. These are complicated machines and every manufacturer has issues. It's how they're dealt with that's critical and my experience with Lexus service has been nothing but positive.
Old 05-25-10, 07:40 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stanatl
Yup - I was one of those involved in the LS430 transmission and fuel pump recall. Got a Lexus loaner, in/out in one day and got a BP gas card and a letter of apology from the President of Lexus USA. By the way, the transmission recall was made because of the POSSIBILITY of a problem - none were ever reported. Handled very efficiently and with no fanfare - pretty much painless.

With the exception of the 2007 wind noise problem from what I'm aware of every Lexus issue has been dealt with very professionally. These are complicated machines and every manufacturer has issues. It's how they're dealt with that's critical and my experience with Lexus service has been nothing but positive.
OK OK. I agree. Im just getting a lil worried about Lexus lately thats all.

Quick Reply: 2009-2010 LS 460/600h L VGRS recall (software update)