LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 vs. 2010 new Genesis 4.6 tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 08:06 PM
Holt2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LS460 vs. 2010 new Genesis 4.6 tech

Hi All,
First post here, what a great forum.

Wanted to get folks' thoughts on the above cars -- essentially it is a wash price wise between a loaded genesis new and a used LS460. Have driven and like both, and wonder if others have decided between the two cars. Thanks for any feedback! S
Old 04-02-10, 08:26 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you are kidding. Not even same class.
Old 04-02-10, 08:53 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hyundai is Hyundai and Lexus is Lexus.
Old 04-02-10, 10:25 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

New Genesis vs Used LS460? Are you looking at a loaded LS (L), or the base model? Mileage? Clean?

Those factors could make a difference, and could tilt the advantage to the Genesis. Slightly...

If you wanted to compare a new LS to a Hyundai, I would say wait for the Equus...

But asking here is a bit of a stretch. Not many LS owners in here seem have tried the Genesis.
Old 04-02-10, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have tried and driven the genesis 4.6, that was after i got my ls460l. seriously, it's a nice car, but it's not even close to the ls460 in terms of quality, fit and finish, and response.

in fact, the cars aren't even in the same class. honestly, i wouldn't compare between these cars except price that you mentioned. don't get me wrong, the genesis is a nice car, and hyundai is growing fast (honestly i am pretty tired of those stereotypes who says hyundai is hyundai and lexus is lexus. they need to think back how lexus started back in 1989). but genesis is not at the level of the ls460 yet.

even the equus, i have seen it in person and got inside of it. it's a really close contender to the ls/s/7 league, but it still lacks some attention to details and quality. hyundai is playing very serious though, good for them
Old 04-03-10, 12:02 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

you should be comparing the hyundai equus to the ls460, in which it should give the LS some serious competition...But I do understand what you mean since for the price of a used Ls460, it is essentially equivalent to a brand new genesis...if thats the case, I would rather get a used Ls460...
Old 04-03-10, 09:50 AM
g26
Driver School Candidate

A relative of mine owns a loaded Genesis. It is a very nice car and includes most of the LS techno goodies. I don't know if it is brand brainwashing, but I went for a CPO LS460L. The CPO gives you a basically "newish" car with a solid warranty. Sitting in both cars, the Lexus wins in the "ooh this feels good" department hands down. The 460L also gives you tremendous space in that back row that your passengers will totally love.

You won't go wrong with the Genesis, it seems like a really tight package... but take a serious look at a CPO 460L... this car just feels and looks "special".......
Old 04-03-10, 11:57 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the insults thrown at Hyundai are the same ones thrown at Lexus to this day via BMW/Benz/Audi/Jag owners/lovers. We need to humble ourselves as fellow member Rominl said and remember were Lexus was in 1989-1990! I here some of the same comments here about Hyundai we experienced and still do about Lexus not being as fit/finished as Benz/BMW/Audi or as good performance wise!

Its just a car, no matter Lexus,Honda,Acura etc.! YES, I own a Lexus but never feel its needed to make a fellow member feel bad for there choice of topic. Help is what members seek, lets give it to them. Who's to say the Genesis isnt a great car regardless of class/level or whatever!! Lets not become egotistical as the European makes are towards our beloved Lexus. I wont do that fellow members.

Im getting a new ride in August for my birthday but, it wont be based on perception!!! Lets not forget to be humble and watch putting down Hyundai as we used to and still do for owning Lexus by Benz,BMW,Audi owners!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-03-10, 12:10 PM
BAD RIDES

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we really talking about this really?

Last edited by BAD RIDES; 04-03-10 at 12:10 PM. Reason: .....
Old 04-03-10, 12:27 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I think most everyone will agree the Genesis is a great car, especially for its price range. However, humble or not, you cannot expect it to compete blow for blow in this category of vehicle which the LS460 is in. Keep in mind when the current generation of LS and S-Class came out, both of these vehicles raised the bar like crazy. Go back and read the press release for the the 2007 LS460 and you'll realize the engineering and attention to detail is still unmatched by most cars. As I said, while the Genesis is great, can you honestly expect it match to the LS? For example... y'all remember how engineers spent 6 months designing a machine just to BUFF THE PAINT on the LS? There are plenty of other examples of Toyota's absolutely OCD attention to detail on this vehicle just not found elsewhere.

To the OP, what are your criteria/needs? There is definitely advantages of having a brand new car (you break it in yourself, you know how it is treated/maintained/etc.). Would you want to sacrifice a little bit in the car to have the advantages of a 0 mile vehicle? If you don't mind 30-40k on the car, I'd definitely say LS. In fact, I've actually thought about this exact comparison as I'm looking to get another vehicle soon.
Old 04-03-10, 12:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am also equally put off by people assuming that the Genesis is LS 400 v. 2.0, because the circumstances between then and now are different (same as the people who say, first it's the Japanese, next the Koreans, next the Chinese as if ethnic groups are playing tic-tac-toe; none of these countries are going away any time soon). The Hyundai of now is not the Toyota of then (which is not to disparage either), and although the Genesis follows the LS 400 playbook to a large degree, it also does things differently, being its size, its technological differentiation, its service network and branding, and sales reception. There are quite a few similarities, but assuming that the Lexus story applies in the same way as the Genesis story oversimplifies things manyfold. For one, the Toyota story was of cautious, careful improvement, plus massive R&D spending, leading to a luxury division, whereas the Hyundai story is of rapid change in the past half-decade+, and seeking a new brand identity almost overnight. Each has taken its own path to success.

Of course I am more enamored of Lexus, so I tend to feel that the LS 400 was more 'special', as is the LS 460, with its sound dampening innovations, electroluminescent technology, cabin features, drivetrain technologies, fit and finish etc. while the Genesis is more of a better deal, offering much of what everyone wants in a luxury sedan, but not necessarily anything new, in a very well-priced package. As such, the Genesis marketing competes with luxury marques, but it also competes with mainstream upmarket models. Nonetheless, I give them props for producing these new models so fast, although I sometimes wonder if the rapid pace involved any cutting corners. The Genesis does have the size proportions to compete with the LS 460, but classwise it is more of a mid-size type competitor, the Equus would be a closer comparison (down to the 'VS460' moniker it has). Still, I found this interesting:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04...e-winners.html

A Subtler Strategem
Ed Wallace
Posted Friday, Apr. 02, 2010

Now Hyundai will introduce the Equus with a base price that may be nearly double that of its Genesis. The decision was forced on Hyundai's American management team, who have long argued that Hyundai's real future is getting the sales numbers of their less expensive but equally impressive mainstream vehicles to match those of their Japanese competitors.

If Hyundai could double the sales of its Accent, Sonata and Santa Fe, it would be close to playing in the same field as Nissan and that trajectory would one day moves towards Toyota and Honda heights. It would do even better if Genesis sales doubled and the new Equus sold in similar numbers - but, frankly, there just aren't enough buyers in that price range.

Increasing profit is another story, and therein lies the problem in this battle over the future of Hyundai. The previous American officials of the company were and are right in saying that Hyundai's push should not be toward becoming a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes competitor. The future of Hyundai lies in getting more of its less expensive products into the right neighborhoods across America. Right or wrong, there's always more volume selling to the middle class.
I know some on here have suggested that the Genesis, Equus etc. are shaming Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac etc. (which are not as often in the discussion, but should be when discussing such models as a real comparison of luxury models from a mainstream make), but there's a legitimate business reason why Honda, Nissan, and GM are focused less on V8 luxury sedans and more on other fronts. It's possible that there is a bit of quixotic decision-making here, but it's still interesting to watch these new models.
Old 04-03-10, 04:12 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
Hyundai is Hyundai and Lexus is Lexus.
Isn't that what German car owners say about Lexus?

BMW is BMW and Lexus is Toyota.

HBH
Old 04-03-10, 04:18 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

When the Hyundai Equus gets here, THEN maybe you will have a comparison. I think a more apt comparison for the Genesis would be the GS.

Hyundai is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Especially given Toyota's apparently decreasing quality in recent years, and Hyundai's vast improvements over the same time frame.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 04-03-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 05:01 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think everyone has great points. I guess it will be decided by the buyers of the cars and there needs! The Lexus in any class(ES/GS/IS/LS) will cost more(I'm guessing) to upkeep! So maybe the Hyundai can serve a segment of buyers looking for price(services/parts/etc.) and quality in a new car like those who decided to go with Lexus in 1989-1990 over the traditional luxury makes(BMW/Benz/Jag/Audi) and those who also opted for Acura as well which never gets the credit but also makes a great reliable luxury car at a GREAT PRICE as does our beloved Lexus!

Hyundai isn't were Lexus is now of course and may have perfect timing due to the economy! The look of the Hyundai has improved as well and depending on the long term test ,say 5 years down the line on reliability we could be looking at a up and comer!! Just hope we don't do what Benz and BMW LOVERS did to us and I still get it from them even as they go to and from the dealership and local shops with car issues how my Lexus is no Benz and BMW/Audi/Jag and not in the same class as them!

It bothers me that what was done to most of us we seem to be doing to Hyundai and we must not forget what Lexus did 20 years ago along with Acura and Infiniti also did as well creating Luxury brands from Honda and Nissan respectfully is what Hyundai is doing now. Yes, Lexus has a better reputation and deserves it but, being humble never hurts!

I do agree the Equus may better compare size wise anyway but, I myself judge all cars the same and thats is the question of, is it reliable and how does it do with gas mileage. Some of the best cars cost less than $30,000! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 04-03-10 at 05:05 PM. Reason: many
Old 04-03-10, 05:08 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

To be honest, Lexuses are great, but they still, to this date, do not have the brand prestige of BMW and Mercedes. How else do you think they can charge $15-20k more for their similar Lexus competitor and still be in business?

Last edited by amcdonal86; 04-03-10 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 vs. 2010 new Genesis 4.6 tech