LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 vs. 2010 new Genesis 4.6 tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 05:12 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the genisis before i bought my ls. Its a really nice car for 43,000. I liked pretty much everything about except for the interior. I saw the equuis at the la auto show and it will give the ls a run for the money.

I think its a tough call regarding a 07 ls vs a new genisis. I would probably put my money in the ls.

If you were talking about a new ls vs a new equuis. I have to say its a toss up.
Old 04-03-10, 08:18 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who compare the LS460 and Genesis 4.6 ... the requester asked for a 3 years old USED Lexus vs. a NEW Genesis. A new LS460 wins hand down but ... again, it's a 3 years old car.

Also, don't forget other stuff like maintenance, warranty (a 2007 LS460 is more likely out of warranty), insurance, history of the car, etc.

That is why they both price relatively the same now.
Old 04-03-10, 08:19 PM
Holt2008
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the comments. My uncertainty was summarized by having a new car vs. a used car that I thought were similar in my mind (the LS bigger, the Genesis newer with similar tech features). We have been a Lexus family for the last 15 years or so and always skew towards Lexus, but wanted to test something new as the service costs for the Lexus have been killing us). Had a chance to drive both again today, and do like the LS better, but not by the margin one would think with Hyundai vs. Lexus. Our salesperson did mention he is getting a good number of customers cross testing the V8 Genesis and did view it as a competitor to the LS. He actually worries about it more that Equus given Equus' price point may be only 10K below LS...

Thanks again all for the great discussion! Now, look forward to the help finding the right LS!
Old 04-04-10, 08:50 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't mean to redirect the topic, but establishing a direct comparison between the Gen & LS460 is beyond me.

Other than the price of a 0-mile Gen & a used '07 LS460 and the engine horsepower, to me the comparison would be inaccurate.

Hyundai cars have some quality and few major finishing issues. When you drive both cars, you'll realize the contrast. Lexus is known for quality & elegance, despite the recent issues with Lexus cars mainly the windnoise and the corporate arrogance to admit the existence of the issue.

Plus, we're in 2010 not 1989. So comparing Lex of 1989 with Hyundai of 2010 doesn't really relate to this topic.

Not to degrade Hyundai's advancement, Lexus is by far in a better position in terms of quality & prestige and, more importantly, brand identity.

Anyways I think it all goes back to the personal preference. I would give up the zero mileage for the fine finishing and unmatched quality & reliability.

Good luck Holt2008.
Old 04-05-10, 09:02 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've driven the fully-loaded Genesis 4.6, GS430, LS430, and multiple LS460's. IMO, the Genesis 4.6 is a very serious competitor for the GS cars, and particularly so if you compare bang for the buck.

But that's where it ends (with both the GS and the Genesis). Regardless of how many check-boxes they have completed on the "on paper" comparison of features and benefits, no version of the GS nor Genesis cars are in the league with the LS430 or LS460 when you compare the on-the-road feel. For me, there's a lot more to a car than the on-paper list of features.
Old 04-05-10, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Luxury is all about excess.
If we didn't care for it, corollas would be more than enough...right?

If I wanted a genesis and price is an issue, I would get a cpo. Hyundai's don't retain their value at all, so why bother getting a new one since their values drop like a rock?
Old 04-05-10, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Luxury is all about excess.
If we didn't care for it, corollas would be more than enough...right?
damn, this is so true. agree 100%
Old 04-05-10, 12:24 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
If I wanted a genesis and price is an issue, I would get a cpo. Hyundai's don't retain their value at all, so why bother getting a new one since their values drop like a rock?
I'm definitely not a new car buyer except in rare circumstances (though I have done it and actually made $7K on resale of the last new car I bought). However, I'm not sure if the Genesis 4.6 is depreciating a lot or not -- I've often wondered how they were doing, but just now did any look-see:

A 500 mile search of the 2009 Genesis 4.6 revealed an average Autotrader.com price of $36.2K. I recall that the brand new fully loaded one I drove was offered to me at $39,999 back at the time. So, let's suppose that's about $4K or 10% depreciation in roughly a year based upon those asking prices.

The same 500 mile search of the 2009 LS460 shows an average price of $61K. I'm not sure what the average new sales price was, but since there are some L's and AWD's in there, maybe it was, what? $70K? If so, that's more depreciation, both % and $. (Though one should keep in mind that these two cars aren't very comparable -- a comparison to a GS would be much more appropriate.)
Old 04-05-10, 02:05 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
To be honest, Lexuses are great, but they still, to this date, do not have the brand prestige of BMW and Mercedes. How else do you think they can charge $15-20k more for their similar Lexus competitor and still be in business?
I think for BMW, Lexus lacks the handling, and some of the cost goes to that department. Most purchasers are drivers and not passengers. As for MB, it is what everyone is saying about an MB. MB like a Gucci, Prada, or Chanel purse. They have always been pricey and stylish (subjective). Take a Coach or DB and call it a Lexus.
Old 04-06-10, 11:02 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a Genesis. Very nice car, but in spite of their blatant "inspirations" - it's nowhere near the level of an LS. I didn't like the ride... at all.

I wouldn't even consider the Equus. Taking the brand out of the equation, I love Lexus service... and trust me, Hyundai isn't even close to competing on that level.
Old 04-07-10, 01:12 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
To be honest, Lexuses are great, but they still, to this date, do not have the brand prestige of BMW and Mercedes. How else do you think they can charge $15-20k more for their similar Lexus competitor and still be in business?
There are some areas where Lexus competes dollar for dollar. What a lot of people don't know is that Lexus usually starts at a much lower price point than BMW/Merc and Audi.
Old 09-18-12, 06:56 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
Hyundai is Hyundai and Lexus is Lexus.
Lexus might be Lexus, but my two flagships say Toyota all over them...

Just got screwed on the Lexus Platinum warranty and had to replace my SC430. I have an LS430 and often drive my brothers LS 460L..

The Genesis I just picked up is faster, better optioned, bigger inside, and in my opinion better looking than the LS460. The Navi is better, as is the sound system Lexicon over Mark Levinson.

Quality of the materials, Lexus wins hands down, the Lexus has a much better ride, stronger AC, and all the gadgets just feel better.

As a loyal Lexus owner, I have to say the two cars are in the same class, the LS460 top of the class, the Genesis, bottom of the class. The Genesis is much better than our LS430. I don't know how much I would pay for an LS out the door, but I got a $12000 discount, rebates and dealer kick in, bringing the cost of a 429 HP (40 more than an LS) Genesis about half the price of the MSRP base LS.

I did drive the EQUOS (spelling?) and I thought it was not tastefully done, as if it was designed for the Rap stars.

Truth is Lexus needs to be very worried the way MB BMW JAG lost sleep over the LS400. Forgot to mention, JD puts the quality of the Genesis above all premium midsize cars, the number two is the E class, Lexus is down on the list. Though the LS is the better the car, it is certainly not worth the cost difference. Hopefully this will make Lexus push the envelope to get ahead of the competition, and start making cars the Koreans can't copy. (yet)
Old 09-18-12, 06:47 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the value of that Hyundai in 5 years and the build quality, then compare it to a 5 year old Lexus.
Old 09-18-12, 08:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you will like both, but the LS is on another level. I have an 07 LS460 and the quality, ride, tech, and power still blow my mind even after almost 2 years of ownership. The Hyundai will be brand new and the LS will have at least 40K miles most likely. My vote would be to stick with the LS, but if there are warranty concerns the Hyundai will be fully covered since its brand new. Good luck.
Old 09-19-12, 04:43 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No AWD

Living in Maine, "No AWD" = "No Genesis".

I'm considering an Audi A6 dispite my concerns about reliability.

Still, though, every time I think about trading in my 2008 LS600hL, I keep remembering that virtually every feature I really like is already in my 5 year old (got it in 2007) car.

HBH

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 vs. 2010 new Genesis 4.6 tech