LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation system replacement cost?

Old 03-26-10, 10:47 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by betty1510
We did not know that if you placed a suction cup on the screen of the nav. system, it would ruin the whole system. We have been quoted a price of $13,000!!! to replace. Any suggestions?
What's beyond ridiculous here is that they're probably going to want to keep your old unit, it'll go back to Lexus, be repaired for a couple of hundred dollars, and be good as new.

Where are you located? I bet I could fix that for you if you get an audio shop to pull it out and if you can do without it for a week or so. The touch screen overlay is probably a standard part.
Old 03-26-10, 10:55 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
What year is your LS? 07-09 have a recordable hard drive that is paired with the nav system. You can't install a nav from another LS and have it work. If your screen is dead, audio and temp settings can still be done by voice command.
Presumably the replacement nav unit would have it's own hard drive so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-27-10, 04:00 PM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navigation replacement cost

on my landcruiser i put a ski into my screen my home owners insurance covered the cost it was done while i was loading vehicle in my driveway you might want to contact your home owners insurance and let them know i assume it happened before you pulled out of your drivrway
Old 03-27-10, 05:41 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davedan
on my landcruiser i put a ski into my screen my home owners insurance covered the cost it was done while i was loading vehicle in my driveway you might want to contact your home owners insurance and let them know i assume it happened before you pulled out of your drivrway
I highly doubt that home owners insurance would cover this. This was intentional misuse and abuse of the navigation screen. The suction cup didn't just happen to attach itself to the touchscreen. It was specifically placed on the screen.
Old 03-28-10, 08:41 AM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

Default navigation replacement cost

i do not thing the member got up in the morning with the sole intent to abuse her navigation system she made a mistake it was an accident i assume not intentional that is why they have insurance.
Old 03-30-10, 05:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

betty 1510, did you ever come up with a solution to your nav problem?
Old 03-31-10, 01:21 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
betty 1510, did you ever come up with a solution to your nav problem?
I think you guys scared Betty away LOL
Old 03-31-10, 03:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
I think you guys scared Betty away LOL
"You guys"? I'm innocent and would like to know how he/she came out.
Old 03-31-10, 06:20 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I have to say this was pretty harsh and rude treatment from some on this board to a 70 year old lady that did not understand that she could not use a suction cup on aLS460 touchscreen. Seems like an honest and innocent mistake on her part to me. $13k to replace the Nav unit? That takes consumer gouging to a new level. $13 k for a Nav unit? - that is surreal at best and laughable at worst. Toyota and Lexus is in enough hot water already - better be careful or loyal customers are go elsewhere.
Old 08-04-10, 10:30 AM
betty1510
Driver School Candidate

OK people!!! This is Betty1510! Adding to the fact that I didn't know anything about touch screens is that I also didn't know how this site worked so I am now tuning in on August 4th and reading all these comments. They have given me a lot of information and a lot of laughs. I will admit, some responders need to get a better attitude!!

I am still struggling along with my damaged navigational unit, operating most controls by hand and voice. However, I am also still trying to figure out the best way to correct the problem (aside from trading it in on something other than a Lexus!!!). I have written the person in charge of Lexus USA twice and have never received a reply from him. He did refer me to my dealership and I went back there but they said they had "exhausted all of their resources and could not help me". So I wrote Mark Hamblin, VP of Lexus USA, again plus wrote J. R. Roper, owner of our local Lexus dealerships and did not receive a reply from either. My contention now is that it should fall under the warranty because there was no notice on the screen or in the manual to NOT put anything on the screen. They have that annoying warning on the screen to "agree" but didn't put one on about the screen itself.

I have also contacted a local Lexus independent repair place and they have found a rebuilt one that can replace my current one for around $5,000. However, after reading these responses, I see that I need to make sure it would work in my car. I also gather from these notes that it may be possible to just replace the touch screen and would like more information on that. I will continue to look into all of this and would appreciate any help. However, I can do without accusations on my minimal understanding of touch screens and very much appreciate those of you who came to my defense.

BTW.....70 isn't as old as you think. You'll see when you get there. We just aren't as "up" on the new things as younger people are. We do try. I have three computers,a laptop, a Nintendo, Kindle, and recently an iTouch (which I am protecting the screen very carefully)!
Old 08-04-10, 11:03 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

My contention now is that it should fall under the warranty because there was no notice on the screen or in the manual to NOT put anything on the screen.
Trying to get a free ride because you screwed up likely isn't going to work. Your ownership of as you stated multiple laptops, an itouch and other delicate electronics demonstrates at least some knowledge of similar types of screens, therefore you should have known not to stick a cheap window mounted nav on the screen. You failed to observe a standard of care with your nav screen that any reasonable person would have observed - basically the definition of negligence. You will be VERY fortunate if Lexus replaces it under warranty.

Sorry if that sounded harsh but it's basically the line of thinking that the dealership will have if you tell them what you posted here. Something like that falls under common knowledge, and while it is indeed unfortunate you weren't aware of the hazard that the suction cup posed, it's also not Lexus's fault that they didn't warn you.

Good luck in getting it repaired and keep us updated
Old 08-04-10, 11:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

My contention now is that it should fall under the warranty because there was no notice on the screen or in the manual to NOT put anything on the screen.
to be frank, i am not sure if i buy that argument, you are just stretching on the terms. if that's the case, that means they have to put warning signs on pretty much everything coz' one way or the other, parts can be damaged.
Old 08-04-10, 12:34 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
to be frank, i am not sure if i buy that argument, you are just stretching on the terms. if that's the case, that means they have to put warning signs on pretty much everything coz' one way or the other, parts can be damaged.
The problem I have is that Lexus will charge this lady umpteen-thousand dollars for a new nav. Then they will ship her old one back to Japan, where it will be fitted with a new touch screen, probably at a cost of a few hundred dollars or less. Then that one will go on somebody else's car as part of a warranty repair.

Kind of like when they used to charge $2,000 for a new engine computer if you lost all of your keys. The old one is still perfectly good, goes back to Japan, gets re-flashed at a cost of a few dollars, then it goes on the shelf to be sold to the next guy for $2k.

Look religiously on Ebay, they do come on there from time to time. Then sell yours on Ebay; even not working it may bring a few hundred bucks from someone who has something else wrong with theirs besides the screen.

And if you do bite the bullet and buy a new one from Lexus, DO NOT let them keep the old one.
Old 08-04-10, 12:40 PM
betty1510
Driver School Candidate

To Good Rev: I think it probably goes without saying that I would not have purposely tried to ruin my touch screen...especially at $13,000. I did not know and I guess that is the point. Not everyone is familiar with touch screens. I just recently purchased the iTouch and now I know. I have trouble learning these things at 70 years old and think I do pretty well. But I really screwed up on this one! Many Lexus drivers are senior citizens and many have never dealt with a touch screen. I have heard from several who have done similar things with other electronic devices. I would have learned about it had the company put something in the manual...which I had to read many times to figure out how to use the a/c, radio, etc. The dealership probably agrees with you and others who say they won't cover it. You can't blame me for trying and that is the purpose of these forums, I guess.

To future responders I guess I would ask that you post positive suggestions, not accusations. I think I've gotten the point!!
Old 08-04-10, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
The problem I have is that Lexus will charge this lady umpteen-thousand dollars for a new nav. Then they will ship her old one back to Japan, where it will be fitted with a new touch screen, probably at a cost of a few hundred dollars or less. Then that one will go on somebody else's car as part of a warranty repair.

Kind of like when they used to charge $2,000 for a new engine computer if you lost all of your keys. The old one is still perfectly good, goes back to Japan, gets re-flashed at a cost of a few dollars, then it goes on the shelf to be sold to the next guy for $2k.

Look religiously on Ebay, they do come on there from time to time. Then sell yours on Ebay; even not working it may bring a few hundred bucks from someone who has something else wrong with theirs besides the screen.

And if you do bite the bullet and buy a new one from Lexus, DO NOT let them keep the old one.
i completely agree with you on that, the price is bad, and the fact that you can't get just the screen (or a sub part) but the whole thing instead, that blows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation system replacement cost?