LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 Lexus 460L vs 2008 460L

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 07:41 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Lexus 460L vs 2008 460L

Just got my new 2010 460L to replace my 2008 460L. Loved the 2008 - but not wild about the 2010. Little "comfort" items that are gone from the 2010 (and I asked for and ordered the same vehicle - right down to the color). Shame on me for not checking the car out more carefully beforehand. Still love the model - just surprised at some of the things that are gone...

Here's what I'll miss (hope are you listening Toyota? I buy a new Lexus every 1-2 years):

1. No more Lexus Link or built in cell phone - instead just an Onstar-like emergency sytem. That built-in cell phone saved me more than a few times when I left my regular cell phone at home. I'm told that there wasn't a deman for the Lexus Link service or the built-in phone. I'd certainly pay for it as an option.

2. Rear seat a/c-heater controls now only heated seat controls. Why?

3. Rear seat memory positions gone as is the rear seat recline (yes I know you can order the 13k seating option with the coolbox and get this item - but I didn't need to to that for the 2008 model)

4. Ashtrays/lighters - understand that smoking in an 80k car may be obscence to some - but why not an option?

5. Not wild about the chrome volume control/tuning ***** -- they look cheap compared to the 2008 *****.

It's the little things about Japanese engineering that have made be come back to Lexus time and again... I realize that this is just my opinion, but I'd be curious to hear what other 2010 owners think.
Old 03-04-10, 09:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, ARLVACP, and thanks for sharing your impressions. I haven't had much seat time with the 2010 LS 460 L, mostly with the 2007-2009 models, a lot of those differences are new to me. Probably other 2010 and other LS 460 owners will chime in.
Old 03-04-10, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

about 2 and 3, are you saying there is no cooling seat in the rear seat, and there is no reclining function? was that part of the rear seat upgrades in your 2008? or it's the basic 79k setup?
Old 03-05-10, 01:54 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ARLVACP
1. No more Lexus Link or built in cell phone - instead just an Onstar-like emergency sytem. That built-in cell phone saved me more than a few times when I left my regular cell phone at home. I'm told that there wasn't a deman for the Lexus Link service or the built-in phone. I'd certainly pay for it as an option.
Interesting observation.

Speaking of Lexus Link, do you know how its phone service works? I mean is it using a satellite connection to make phone calls? Or the regular wireless network?
Old 03-05-10, 03:56 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFNash
Interesting observation.

Speaking of Lexus Link, do you know how its phone service works? I mean is it using a satellite connection to make phone calls? Or the regular wireless network?
It uses standard terrestrial cellular towers.
Old 03-05-10, 07:53 AM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

"about 2 and 3, are you saying there is no cooling seat in the rear seat, and there is no reclining function? was that part of the rear seat upgrades in your 2008? or it's the basic 79k setup?"

Regarding Romini's reply above, that's correct that there is no cooling option for the rear seat controls on the 2010 - only heat controls. Also the rear seat on the right passenger side reclined in the 2008 model - not so in the 2010 model. The 2008 model had seat memory controls next to the door handles - the 2010 does not. Although I' can't recall definitely, I don't believe the rear seat a/c-heat controls and recline function was an add-on to the 2008.

While I asked for an "ordered" the same car as the 2008, apparently, not many people used the Park Assist function (i.e., car self-parallel parking functionality) - so that was a bit of an issue inf finding a car for me as apparently most of the 2010 460L's shipped to dealers do not come equipped with that Park-Assist feature.

Regarding the in-car phone and Lexus Link, I was advised that very few people used the phone and, I gather, Lexus Link - hence the switch over to Lexus Enform (the Onstar like emergency system I mentioned in my first post).

Like I said - I love the 460L - just will miss some of these items and hope that Lexus reconsiders including them as options in future models.
Old 03-05-10, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ARLVACP, i am just curious to find out more. on your 2008 ls460l, your rear seat (only the right side, not the driver side) reclines, and both seats have cooling option? and there were memory seats for both sides? but if rear left doesn't incline, what is the memories for?

sorry i am not doubting you, i am just curious about your 2008 ls460l, seemed like a relatively rare combo from what i recall (but then my memory...). do you remember when you pull down the rear seat center armrest, what kind of controls did you have? were you able to control radio settings from there? or were you able to control the rear temperatures, etc... meaning there were quite a few buttons? or the armrest only had i think 3-4 buttons and 2 ***** for the seat heating/cooling?

again i am curious about the setup. i had a ls460l before and trying to recall the options
Old 03-05-10, 09:06 AM
Patric
Pole Position

Interesting. My 07 SWB has the upgrade back seat package with both heat and A/C and both seats recline and have memory.

I don't use the Lexus phone because I was told the minutes you purchase expire each month (no rollover) if not used so that may be why that option is gone. My cell works just fine.

Too bad they are cutting back. Certainly not a confidence booster.
Old 03-05-10, 04:36 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Well, without trying to dig out my old brochures, I seem to recall that there was a "Comfort Package" and a "Comfort Plus Package". One of the differences that I thought there was between the two was the Plus package had both heated and cooling rear seats, while the regular had only heated.

I'm just thinking maybe you had the Plus package before the regular package now.
Old 03-05-10, 04:39 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patric
Interesting. My 07 SWB has the upgrade back seat package with both heat and A/C and both seats recline and have memory.
That's correct! I've test drove an 07 ls460l that had the same options you described. Very nice. But I didn' purchase it. Bought an 07 sc430 instead (well, the wife wants it )
Old 03-05-10, 05:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Well, without trying to dig out my old brochures, I seem to recall that there was a "Comfort Package" and a "Comfort Plus Package". One of the differences that I thought there was between the two was the Plus package had both heated and cooling rear seats, while the regular had only heated.

I'm just thinking maybe you had the Plus package before the regular package now.
yes but i think that's for swb? on the lwb i think it was different?
Old 03-05-10, 08:06 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes but i think that's for swb? on the lwb i think it was different?
Comfort and Comfort Plus packages were only on SWB, LWB had Luxury Package and Rear Seat Upgrade Package.
Old 03-05-10, 09:37 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
ARLVACP, i am just curious to find out more. on your 2008 ls460l, your rear seat (only the right side, not the driver side) reclines, and both seats have cooling option? and there were memory seats for both sides? but if rear left doesn't incline, what is the memories for?

sorry i am not doubting you, i am just curious about your 2008 ls460l, seemed like a relatively rare combo from what i recall (but then my memory...). do you remember when you pull down the rear seat center armrest, what kind of controls did you have? were you able to control radio settings from there? or were you able to control the rear temperatures, etc... meaning there were quite a few buttons? or the armrest only had i think 3-4 buttons and 2 ***** for the seat heating/cooling?

again i am curious about the setup. i had a ls460l before and trying to recall the options
My mistake about the 2008 rear seat - both seats reclined - there's a left-right toggle switch in the armrest (similar the switch used to adjust the outside mirrors). Never got back there much - only remembered the right side reclining. The rear console armrest only had controls for the seat adjustments and the a/c-heat controls for the seat - no radio controls. My partner bought my 2008 so I was able to check. The 2010 rear console armrest only had the heat controls for the rear seat.
Old 03-05-10, 10:04 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 460L vs 2010 Front Center Console

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1745125083

Here are 2 photos that compare the 2 front center consoles of the 2008 and 2010 460L's. The 2008 console looks more elegant/sophisticated to me - notice that the inside temp LED is missing on the 2010 console.
Old 03-05-10, 11:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ARLVACP
My mistake about the 2008 rear seat - both seats reclined - there's a left-right toggle switch in the armrest (similar the switch used to adjust the outside mirrors). Never got back there much - only remembered the right side reclining. The rear console armrest only had controls for the seat adjustments and the a/c-heat controls for the seat - no radio controls. My partner bought my 2008 so I was able to check. The 2010 rear console armrest only had the heat controls for the rear seat.
good compare. i am surprised that for the 2010, you can't even get those options anymore, and if you get them it will have to be the full blown rear seat upgrades. that's a big jump

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus 460L vs 2008 460L