LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 Lexus 460L vs 2008 460L

Old 03-06-10, 02:37 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, he's correct about the center console. Just checked out the picture. Im in the market this year for a possible LS460 or S550 and little things like this can sway me. Thinking more along the lines of a 2008 LS460 if its the LS460 I go with. The items the thread starter mentioned that are missing I want. Im sure the 2010 is newer etc. but, sometimes companies get rid of things some customers like, though I can truly understand why they got rid of certain things. They probably had very little demand for the items they removed on the 2010 model so, I understand.

Im going with a pre-2010 model LS460 if I stay with Lexus and dont buy the S550!!! Thanks for the incite ARLVACP! Great info and the picture you sent the link to was valuable. L.G.N.M
Old 03-07-10, 12:17 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ARLVACP;5284746]
1. No more Lexus Link or built in cell phone - instead just an Onstar-like emergency sytem. That built-in cell phone saved me more than a few times when I left my regular cell phone at home. I'm told that there wasn't a deman for the Lexus Link service or the built-in phone. I'd certainly pay for it as an option.

4. Ashtrays/lighters - understand that smoking in an 80k car may be obscence to some - but why not an option?

5. Not wild about the chrome volume control/tuning ***** -- they look cheap compared to the 2008 *****.
QUOTE]

1. Lexus Link, I don't even know why they even brought this back for the 2nd time, it did horrible the 1st time it was introduced to Lexus. Cost too much to operate. Not profitable.

2. I dont think Lexus want drivers smoking, playing with Navi, making phone calls etc. while driving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are other Lexus models that dont offer Ashtry/Lighter, right???

3. Most people like chrome accents in the interior when done right, maybe the 2010 wasn't done right, I don't know.
Old 03-07-10, 12:29 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

any improvements in 2010 that u liked?
Old 03-14-10, 03:32 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ARLVACP
Just got my new 2010 460L to replace my 2008 460L. Loved the 2008 - but not wild about the 2010. Little "comfort" items that are gone from the 2010 (and I asked for and ordered the same vehicle - right down to the color). Shame on me for not checking the car out more carefully beforehand. Still love the model - just surprised at some of the things that are gone...

Here's what I'll miss (hope are you listening Toyota? I buy a new Lexus every 1-2 years):
1. No more Lexus Link or built in cell phone - instead just an Onstar-like emergency sytem. That built-in cell phone saved me more than a few times when I left my regular cell phone at home. I'm told that there wasn't a deman for the Lexus Link service or the built-in phone. I'd certainly pay for it as an option.
Lexus Enform w/Safety Connect replaces the old Lexus Link system. I guess you can say the Destination Assist feature is a good feature to have if you need a 24 hour concierge for directions and such and nav destinations downloaded directly to your nav. Instead of having to dial out, all the work is reduced to one touch of a button.

2. Rear seat a/c-heater controls now only heated seat controls. Why?
Are you talking about the heated/ventilated rear seat functions? Depending on the package, there is an option for rear seat heat/ventilation vs. standard rear seat heat controls. I'm going to guess your car has the standard LS460L features which includes Climate controlled front seats w/heat & cool ****, heated rear seats.

The "REAR SEAT UPGRADE PACKAGE" is the one with the climate-comfort power rear seats with power adjustable butterfly headrests, memory and power lumbar massage for the outboard seats.

(these pics are from a 2010 LS600hL with Premium Package II (essentially the 460L's REAR SEAT UPGRADE PACKAGE w/RSES)

3. Rear seat memory positions gone as is the rear seat recline (yes I know you can order the 13k seating option with the coolbox and get this item - but I didn't need to to that for the 2008 model)
Correct, rear seat memory is available with the "REAR-SEAT UPGRADE PACKAGE". Lexus wanted to have more LWB owners out there, so they aggressively priced the LS LWB close to the SWB version.

4. Ashtrays/lighters - understand that smoking in an 80k car may be obscence to some - but why not an option?
Lexus figures most people don't smoke in their vehicles and the ashtray/lighter become decoration and due to additional cost of having these items in the car, they have omitted it.

5. Not wild about the chrome volume control/tuning ***** -- they look cheap compared to the 2008 *****.
I personally think the metal volume ***** give the LS dash cluster a more substantial look and feel. I kind of wish Lexus used more of that brushed metal material throught the rest of the car. The old ***** were just painted plastic and didn't feel like they belonged in a 70K+ flagship sedan.

(2010 LS Sport)

It's the little things about Japanese engineering that have made be come back to Lexus time and again... I realize that this is just my opinion, but I'd be curious to hear what other 2010 owners think.
I've spent a lot of time in majority of all Lexus models from 1990 and on. Your sentiments echo why we all own a Lexus, or two or three today!
Old 03-14-10, 03:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1745125083

Here are 2 photos that compare the 2 front center consoles of the 2008 and 2010 460L's. The 2008 console looks more elegant/sophisticated to me - notice that the inside temp LED is missing on the 2010 console.
Actually it's the OUTSIDE TEMP display...and it is on the 2010 as well. The difference between the 07-09 LCD cluster vs the 2010 is that on the older model, the LCD cluster was set right below the HVAC controls. For 2010, the whole LCD cluster moved up, right below the NAV screen. The HVAC controls sit right below the LCD cluster.

(2010 LS)

(07-09 LS)
Old 03-14-10, 09:05 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both cars 2007-2009 or 2010 model are great to own. Yes, some features changed and if a member doesnt like the changes we should respect it and thats that. I feel both opinions myself nd believe humbly beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. In my case give me either car. I'm sure the subtle differnces for me would eventually become an afterthought! Cars are always being tweeked as they make improvements based on request or lack of use.

The ashtray and lighter is a funny thing to me because that ption should never be removed! Why thats something people do that isn't in the car at all, I question tht one most of all. We all dont NEED a phone connected to the car because if we have cells we have phone use. I dont smoke myself so Im nt taken up for it based on biased feelings, I have astma and dont smoke.

I just think it is what it is and no car(Lexus,Benz,BMW,Audi) will ever be perfect. Just enjoy LIFE and the cars you have while your alive to do so. Some have no food and water. A LS 460 of any year is a blessing! L.G.N.M
Old 03-15-10, 06:57 PM
ARLVACP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=KILLERGS4;5290133]

QUOTE]

1. Lexus Link, I don't even know why they even brought this back for the 2nd time, it did horrible the 1st time it was introduced to Lexus. Cost too much to operate. Not profitable.

Like I said - it saved me more than a few times when I forgot my cell phone. What can I say - the Enform platform offers less.

2. I dont think Lexus want drivers smoking, playing with Navi, making phone calls etc. while driving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are other Lexus models that dont offer Ashtry/Lighter, right???

Probably -- just think it should be an option. Lexus shouldn't be deciding what the customer wants IMHO - should be the other way around.

3. Most people like chrome accents in the interior when done right, maybe the 2010 wasn't done right, I don't know.
Again - my opinion. The 2008 console looks more elegant and attractive.

You also also ask what I liked in a subsequent post - Other than what I mentioned above, it's the same car -- slightly less horsepower. Only new feature that is nice is the XM radio weather forecasts.

I love the Lexus brand -- have been fiercely loyal as a customer - just not wild about the 2010 460L in comparison to my 2008 model.
Old 01-18-17, 07:31 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

So let me get this straight, I understand the 2010-2012 introduced a mild face-lift, turn signals in the mirrors, upgraded Nav and native BT streaming, etc...but you can't get reclining seats separate from the chill box? Because of the new rear seat package, if you want reclining seats then you have to sacrifice trunk space too due to the rear AC and chill box? Talk about a step backwards.

I want a newer 4th Gen, but it seems the 07-09 are the only ones that will allow me to have reclining seats plus maximum trunk. (For what it's worth, I find the 07-09 front looks better than the smiling bumper of the 10-12 MY. The 10-12 have better rear lights though.)

EDIT: At least this explains why I have not come across a 2010+ with reclining seats.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-18-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 11:26 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

ARLVACP - I have a 2010 460L. Mine has all the features that you say are not available in the 2010 model.

Mine has the built in controls, and Bluetooth connection to my cell phone, if that's what you mean.

2. Rear seat a/c-heater controls now only heated seat controls. Why?
Mine has rear seat cooling and heating.

3. Rear seat memory positions gone as is the rear seat recline (yes I know you can order the 13k seating option with the coolbox and get this item - but I didn't need to to that for the 2008 model)
Mine has rear seat recline & memory controls, on the door.

I'm not a smoker, and won't allow it in my car, so I could care less if this were an option or not.

My ***** seem heavy and substantial, so they work just fine for me.

...I'd be curious to hear what other 2010 owners think.
No doubt that 2010 is vastly superior to any other year ... because that's what I have!
Old 01-19-17, 12:12 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
So let me get this straight, I understand the 2010-2012 introduced a mild face-lift, turn signals in the mirrors, upgraded Nav and native BT streaming, etc...but you can't get reclining seats separate from the chill box? Because of the new rear seat package, if you want reclining seats then you have to sacrifice trunk space too due to the rear AC and chill box? Talk about a step backwards.

I want a newer 4th Gen, but it seems the 07-09 are the only ones that will allow me to have reclining seats plus maximum trunk. (For what it's worth, I find the 07-09 front looks better than the smiling bumper of the 10-12 MY. The 10-12 have better rear lights though.)

EDIT: At least this explains why I have not come across a 2010+ with reclining seats.
Find an LS460L with the Luxury Package, and you'll get your rear power seats (which recline slightly) without the cool box. Herre are the 2009 and 2010 LS460 product information sheets:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2576

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2656
Old 01-19-17, 12:20 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gbp
Find an LS460L with the Luxury Package, and you'll get your rear power seats (which recline slightly) without the cool box. Herre are the 2009 and 2010 LS460 product information sheets:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2576

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2656

Thank you for the links, Gbp. My previous post was based on seeing the 2010 brochure. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, it seems a 2010 cannot be configured the same way as 2007-2009. The Luxury Package differs on the 2010+ models and no longer includes the reclining seats with cooled seats. I agree with you that I should look for cars for sale with the Luxury Package, but looks like I will also have to limit my search to 2007-2009 MY.
Old 01-19-17, 12:51 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you for the links, Gbp. My previous post was based on seeing the 2010 brochure. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, it seems a 2010 cannot be configured the same way as 2007-2009. The Luxury Package differs on the 2010+ models and no longer includes the reclining seats with cooled seats. I agree with you that I should look for cars for sale with the Luxury Package, but looks like I will also have to limit my search to 2007-2009 MY.
Here's my copy of the 2010 LS460 brochure. It reads funny, but I don't see the configuration limitation you mention. I've heard that LS460's were, by default, equipped differently for specific areas. One obvious example would be AWD. I'm not sure about other options or packages.

Regardless, best of luck with you search.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/new...eply&p=9743213
Old 01-19-17, 01:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gbp
Here's my copy of the 2010 LS460 brochure. It reads funny, but I don't see the configuration limitation you mention. I've heard that LS460's were, by default, equipped differently for specific areas. One obvious example would be AWD. I'm not sure about other options or packages.

Regardless, best of luck with you search.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/new...eply&p=9743213
Sorry, Gbp, I'm not sure if you intended to attach a file or another link but it didn't quite work.

The way I'm reading it (and what I'm seeing from cars available for sale), it seems 2010+ cars can only get the reclining seats and rear cooled seats in one of the more expensive rear seat upgrade packages, whereas the reclining seats and cooled seats were part of the Luxury Package before for 2007-2009 (without having to get the chill box and secondary AC unit). I honestly hope I am misinterpreting the brochures you linked to as I would prefer a newer MY with reclining/cooled seats but WITHOUT the chill box/AC unit that steals trunk space.

And now, 2010 changes:

Old 01-19-17, 01:39 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Here's the link I meant to post:

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Le...-lexus-ls-reno

Nonetheless, it looks like you are absolutely correct, FatherTo1; my apologies! Ironically, the 2010 SWB does have the Custom Plus Package, which gives you the rear power seats and semi-aniline leather, but no rear A/C and no rear cool box. Of course, it's not a LWB.