LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 engine acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 07:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
mkhp36a,

I follow very closely three of the most popular LS460/600 forums, watching for wind noise reports which I have a special interest in. I read every post and have been doing this for about two years and have never seen any mention of anything like you are experiencing.
There was a somewhat similar occurrence that happened, not on the 460/600 series, but I believe on the 400. A faulty sensor seemed to be the culprit, but it's been a while since I've read that thread. I will try to hunt it down again... There is also a lot more tech know-how on the earlier generations, especially on the electronic side.

Last edited by Johnny; 02-08-10 at 01:26 AM. Reason: LS400 not 430
Old 02-06-10, 10:39 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three Lexii ago we had an LS400 that developed the same symptoms. They traced it to an intermittent throttle position sensor. I'd imagine the sensor, or some similar variant thereof, is still in there somewhere...might be worth a look.

Whit
Old 02-07-10, 06:40 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have had 3 lexi. I purchased my second lexi (LS430) from the dealer it was certified with low mileage (13K) and was in pristine condition. But I noticed that the tires were bald in the rear. I told the service advisor at the dealer. They told me the same song and dance that you are getting at the dealer. The tires were fine. So, I sent a certified letter to the president of lexus in California explaining the the problem and a copy to the owner of the lexus dealer that I purchased it from. THE NEXT DAY, the president of Lexus called me on the phone. He said he was sorry for the action of the dealer in question. He told me to go to any tire dealer, purchase a complete new set of tires that I wanted, and take the receipt to the dealer in question. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Lexus does want customer satisfaction without question.
Write a certified letter.

jman

Last edited by jarm; 02-07-10 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 09:08 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 460L and have been experiencing problems very close to what you are describing. The vehicle will lurch into gear from reverse to drive. When slowing down at times it will feel like it isn't going to stop the harder you press on the brake only to feel every gear as it downshifts and lurches forward.
At times I will get a strange start up as if it were flooded followed by a complete lack of power and a trans that will not kick down unless the gas pedal is at least 3/4 depressed at which time the trans shifts hard and will not release the gear. It feels like you are pulling a trailer both trying to get power and trying to stop.
I was told by dealer twice that there are "no codes, no bulletins, and perhaps it was my driving because I should not feel the gears shifting".
I just drove a suburban 2400 miles that shifted smoother than this car and all the miles on my LS are highway miles. Anyone?
Old 02-08-10, 09:43 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a TSIB, module update, for the acceleration problem. I don't know the number off hand. Had it done to my LS and it cured the problem.
Old 02-09-10, 11:10 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Here you go:
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 02-20-10, 06:27 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!
Old 02-20-10, 08:09 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

460LCHI, let us know how the changes were after you have the TSIB work done by the dealer.

Good Luck!
Old 02-23-10, 10:38 AM
rayford
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 460LCHI
I have an 08 460L and have been experiencing problems very close to what you are describing. The vehicle will lurch into gear from reverse to drive. When slowing down at times it will feel like it isn't going to stop the harder you press on the brake only to feel every gear as it downshifts and lurches forward.
At times I will get a strange start up as if it were flooded followed by a complete lack of power and a trans that will not kick down unless the gas pedal is at least 3/4 depressed at which time the trans shifts hard and will not release the gear. It feels like you are pulling a trailer both trying to get power and trying to stop.
I was told by dealer twice that there are "no codes, no bulletins, and perhaps it was my driving because I should not feel the gears shifting".
I just drove a suburban 2400 miles that shifted smoother than this car and all the miles on my LS are highway miles. Anyone?
I read the PDF regarding the potential fix for your issue. Are you burning 91 octane fuel (premium fuel) in your vehicle? I notice that the fix involves ignition timing . . . When using low octane fuel in a high compression engine the knock sensor will retard (adjust) the ignition timing to prevent premature combustion resulting from low octane fuel - It's an extremly long shot and a far fetched thought, but could this be causing the engine to idle rough and cause the car to "surge" while braking and while shifting into drive from park along with the "weird" transmission shifting trouble?

2004 ls430
1998 gs400
1992 ls400

Last edited by rayford; 02-23-10 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding my car info
Old 02-23-10, 12:26 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mkhp36a
tried all and they are totally useless, they've keep saying nothing is wrong with the car etc. (sounds like a Toyota directive), this is my 3rd and last Lexus (LS400, SC430).They've changed on how they treat their clients.
I certainly agree with the above statement. I had a warranty issue with Lexus over an issue unrelated to the acceleration/uncontrolled throttle response issue and I can tell you from experience that Lexus USA (corporate) are some of the most arrogant people I have ever dealt with. As a result I no longer drive a Lexus and have happily moved to BMW. I do follow the forum and see the same kind of arrogance in the way they have dealt with the wind noise problems in the 460 series. The CEO of Lexus USA admitted in court today that they have been arrogant and non-responsive in the past and has vowed to correct that situation in the future. I hope he does.
Old 02-23-10, 03:25 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I certainly agree with the above statement. I had a warranty issue with Lexus over an issue unrelated to the acceleration/uncontrolled throttle response issue and I can tell you from experience that Lexus USA (corporate) are some of the most arrogant people I have ever dealt with. As a result I no longer drive a Lexus and have happily moved to BMW. I do follow the forum and see the same kind of arrogance in the way they have dealt with the wind noise problems in the 460 series. The CEO of Lexus USA admitted in court today that they have been arrogant and non-responsive in the past and has vowed to correct that situation in the future. I hope he does.
Wait until you have to deal with BMWNA. This is my last BMW, I've owned 4. This will be my 6th Lexus when I pick up my GX 460. I'm done with BMW. BMW can't even supply parts for a new vehcile. I drove around for 3 months with a check engine light on a new vehicle. I also waited 5 weeks on another part. Both times I had to call BMW and raise hell.

Good luck with your BMW,

Craig
Old 02-23-10, 03:38 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Wait until you have to deal with BMWNA.
Craig
Craig,
I'm on my 4th BMW. Had a 2001 330i, a 2003 528i, I still have a 2007 328i and a 2008 528i. I have yet to have an issue with any of them. Other than scheduled maintenance visits, they have been perfect. I can't say the same for my Lexus. I was just letting the OP know he wasn't alone in giving up on Lexus for their arrogance and ignoring known problems. It remains to be seen if they will change their attitude.
Old 02-24-10, 12:02 AM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by rjm
I am in the same situation. I have a 2007 leased 460LS with still unresolved wind noise. Lexus arrogance (after owning Lexi since 1982) convinced me to move from the brand. My lease ends in a couple of weeks, today I ordered a BMW 7. How I wish someone would ask their CEO while under oath if the LS has wind noise problems. Clearly safety concerns are far more serious problems, but I believe it all boils to decreasing quality, customer service and arrogance of this company.
Old 02-24-10, 02:00 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Good luck to both of you. The electronics on BMW's are terrible. Maybe I had problems with my BMW because it was a twin turbo diesel. My BMW has been in the shop over ten times in one year and 5500 miles. I hope you have better luck with your BMW's than I had with mine.

Regards,

Craig
Old 02-24-10, 03:43 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too came from a BMW 7...good luck with that! The BMW service centers hear the words "electrical gremlins" A LOT!!! 12 months, 10 trips to the shop for repairs.

Lexus dealers, service centers and overall the reliability of my LS will keep me in the Lexus brand for a long time to come.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 engine acceleration problems