LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

EQ settings for Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 05:51 AM
cleobel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile EQ settings for Mark Levinson

I know that everybody has different sound tastes, but does anyone have any recommended settings for the best sound balance overall. I have my new 2010 set at Treble +3, Mid +1, and Bass +2 and 2 back for sound. Again I know that people have different tastes, but does anyone have any that they like for the best sound from their ML system.
Old 01-08-10, 06:37 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

in most lexuses I set about +1 Treble 0 Mid -1 Bass
Old 01-18-10, 03:52 PM
jbdvm1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eq settings

the normal human ear hears midrange frequencies more easily the high or low frequencies so technicallly the bass and treble should be in the + settings and the midrange should be flat or negative. i have low end hearing issues so i rise the bass to compensate.
Old 01-18-10, 06:11 PM
AceVA
Driver

I have treble all the way up, bass and mid at 0.
Old 01-19-10, 09:07 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Another point to consider is that the human ear is progressivly less sensitive to bass and treble as the overall volumn is reduced. Some home sound systems have a control called "loudness" that increases the bass and treble leaving the mid range unchanged. This control is very useful at lower volumns. If you play your audio system at lower volumns and/or have, like me, older ears then you might try leaving the mid range at 0 and increase both bass and treble.
Old 01-23-10, 09:14 AM
lexus111
Rookie

Default EQ settings

I have Treble all the way up and Bass at +1
Fader is set to middle
The following users liked this post:
binalimura (01-25-23)
Old 01-24-10, 07:57 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Treble 0, Mid +1, Bass -1

But, as you can see, everyone is different
Old 10-30-15, 10:18 AM
onetondrum
Driver School Candidate

From an audio standpoint, the music industry spends a lot of money for engineers and mastering to provide a clean spectrum. It is always preferred to not bump up bass, mid or treble when listening to CD or FLAC files. Also, set the fade to center and pull it back just a little (towards the rear of the vehicle) instead of dead center of the vehicle to notice a better audible spectrum. The ML system is designed to be clean (very low distortion)...depending upon your music preferences, only adjust EQ settings if something is blatantly overpowering in the music. Happy Listening
Old 10-30-15, 10:26 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onetondrum
It is always preferred to not bump up bass, mid or treble when listening to CD or FLAC files.
This. Everyone in the process, from the artist to the recording engineer to the maker of the recording equipment to Toyota and Mark Levinson, has gone to considerable effort to make what comes out of the system accurate. EQ isn't something that should routinely need to be done on quality audio equipment. It's more a way to try to mask the most glaring flaws a bit. After lots of listening to the Levinson system I find it has a bit of a hot spot around 100 Hz, but I just live with it, because turning the bass down would attenuate other low frequencies too much.

In my opinion, most listeners that boost the bass and treble don't really want more bass or treble -- they really want a bit more volume.
Old 10-30-15, 10:47 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
This. Everyone in the process, from the artist to the recording engineer to the maker of the recording equipment to Toyota and Mark Levinson, has gone to considerable effort to make what comes out of the system accurate. EQ isn't something that should routinely need to be done on quality audio equipment. It's more a way to try to mask the most glaring flaws a bit. After lots of listening to the Levinson system I find it has a bit of a hot spot around 100 Hz, but I just live with it, because turning the bass down would attenuate other low frequencies too much.

In my opinion, most listeners that boost the bass and treble don't really want more bass or treble -- they really want a bit more volume.
I agree.
I will also add there is no such thing as an eq preference. It's needs to be flat by the relative weighting for your ear and the EQ is used to help you get it there. It cannot be tuned by ear but once it's in tune it will make the biggest difference in the sound quality.
Old 10-30-15, 04:42 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Being able to control EQ, fading, and balance is an advantage for those who have hearing issues. I'm no expert, but reportedly the ML option on 2010+ models have a weaker base response, another good reason to boost the bass, IMO.
Old 11-01-15, 12:54 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I leave mine like this

Treble: 1 notch below max

Mid: Right dead at center

Bass: 1 notch below max

I keep Surround turned OFF and also the adaptive volume turned OFF.

This way, watching concerts on DVD that are already 5.1 surround sound absolutely fantastic at any volume levels.

Older CDs that were recorded and mixed in analog mixing consoles sound incredibly crisp and dynamic, while newer productions that are completely brickwalled and heavily compressed don't sound so good, as they are produced without any dynamic range at all, thanks to the iEverything "revolution" that in my opinion literally destroyed audio production quality.

The ML system (2007 model) still manages to reproduce it how it is, and recent productions are indeed "exaggerated" on all frequencies out of the box to compensate for the low quality of the iEverything devices, but it's a sign of the times I guess....

Anyone that is old enough to have listened to the analog era of audio will know what I'm talking about... Crispness, dynamic range, clear / natural punch are things of the past.
Old 11-01-15, 04:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

While I understand that leaving the recording "pure" and unmolested by attenuations of any bass or treble on my part, those same recording were not recorded with highway noises, tire and wind noises hurtling down the freeway at 80 mph. If I were listening to the same recording in my livingroom or through my Sennheiser headphones, then I agree.

Soooooo......

Treble +2 or 3
Bass +3
Midrange 0

Fade is set in dead center.
Old 11-01-15, 04:35 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
Being able to control EQ, fading, and balance is an advantage for those who have hearing issues. I'm no expert, but reportedly the ML option on 2010+ models have a weaker base response, another good reason to boost the bass, IMO.
The report is true. The ML bass response in my '11 is weaker than earlier models, including my '06.
Old 11-02-15, 05:44 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Treble and bass to the max. Fade center, surround sound and ASL on.

Quick Reply: EQ settings for Mark Levinson