LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Regular, Mid-Grade, or Premium?
Regular
10.00%
Mid-Grade
0%
Premium
90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)

Old 03-03-12, 09:27 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's safe to assume that the LS460's engine ages with usage. How does the aging process occur? Does the lower-grade fuel accelerate the aging process? Or does the premium gas decelerate it?

I just don't understand the mechanics of it, and I think in the end it boils down to the question of how a particular grade of fuel, if at all, affects the engine's health.
Old 03-04-12, 06:12 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
Using regular agains premium you save around $40 a year.
While I won't criticize anyone's choice of gasoline to use in their vehicle, I think your math is WAY off here. Heck, I just filled up my Sienna this morning and Supreme was 40 cents higher per gallon. Just on my one fill up today, the cost difference would have been almost $10.00. Now, if I only filled my tank once every three months, your math might be remotely logical!

John
Old 03-04-12, 06:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

using regular gas will kill or destroy the engine. It will cause the ECU to retard timing and put the engine into safe mode. This will result in a loss of power. I am stinking to the premium but if I ever needed to put the regular stuff I wouldnt sweat it
Old 03-04-12, 08:09 PM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of you guys are way off on this. The reality is that higher octane gas has a higher flash point. The engine was designed with optimal performance to be had at premium fuel. Now, with that said, it seems to run exceptionally well with regular unleaded fuel. I've tested more than a few tank fulls of each, and I see little to no improvement in mileage. I really can't feel any difference in performance either. These cars use direct injection, and that helps to keep the cars from knocking or predetonating. The computer also pulls some of the advance out of the timing if it senses any issues with ping, and as a result, you could expect lower HP/TQ figures. Once again, my real world testing over the last few months shows no problems on regular octane. I have yet to run this car in the heat of the summer, but my guess is that the hotter external temperatures of central Texas will probably make it harder on the car regards to a dispensation to want to ping on regular gas. I will certainly test it though, and see what happens.
Old 03-05-12, 01:43 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
While I won't criticize anyone's choice of gasoline to use in their vehicle, I think your math is WAY off here. Heck, I just filled up my Sienna this morning and Supreme was 40 cents higher per gallon. Just on my one fill up today, the cost difference would have been almost $10.00. Now, if I only filled my tank once every three months, your math might be remotely logical!
John
Originally Posted by PeachyKeen
A lot of you guys are way off on this. The reality is that higher octane gas has a higher flash point. The engine was designed with optimal performance to be had at premium fuel. Now, with that said, it seems to run exceptionally well with regular unleaded fuel. I've tested more than a few tank fulls of each, and I see little to no improvement in mileage. I really can't feel any difference in performance either. These cars use direct injection, and that helps to keep the cars from knocking or predetonating. The computer also pulls some of the advance out of the timing if it senses any issues with ping, and as a result, you could expect lower HP/TQ figures. Once again, my real world testing over the last few months shows no problems on regular octane. I have yet to run this car in the heat of the summer, but my guess is that the hotter external temperatures of central Texas will probably make it harder on the car regards to a dispensation to want to ping on regular gas. I will certainly test it though, and see what happens.

Albert Einstein said succinctly ......

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." ............ LOL !

I, for one, appreciate the posts made by Enigma869/John AND PeachKeen !!!!!

Felix Cohen added ......... "Generally the theories we believe we call facts, and the facts we disbelieve we call theories."

There are sure a LOT of "Theories" on this subject. But as PeachyKeen so points out ........ It's really hard to let what you THINK you know get in the way of duplicatible, real-world factual results. Thanks, Guys !

Now we can add 1 more to this old adage ...... "Never discuss politic, religion and gasoline types in public or with your friends."

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
PS - Mark Twain did have sumptin' to add about this ....... and with the liberty of paraphrasing ........"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics and gasoline types used in a Lexus a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." ROFL.
Old 03-05-12, 04:41 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
using regular gas will kill or destroy the engine.
One of the more ridiculous statements that I've ever seen anywhere in my life! Good luck finding a single person at Lexus to ever make this statement!

John
Old 03-05-12, 06:57 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I don't have an LS460 yet but I'm definitely in the market for buying one. One interesting statement I was told by a luxury car dealer is that at higher elevations the type of gas (oct) used doesn't really matter (something to do with less oxygen at higher altitudes). He mentioned that at sea level it definitely matters but as you go up in elevations, there really isn't a difference.

I live in Denver so I'm curious to know if anyone else has been able to vouch for this.
Old 03-05-12, 07:08 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I gues we can sum this thread up to..... it's your car so fill up with whatever you want to put in your 460. To each their own.
Old 03-05-12, 07:53 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by PeachyKeen
My experience with my '95 Q45a mirrors your experience. I don't remember exactly when I started using regular gas, but probably at least 120,000 of its 188,000 miles were on regular gas. Occasionally I would put in a tank of premium, but I could never see any noticeable performance enhancement and no better gas mileage. Certainly none worth the extra 20 to 30 cents extra per gallon.

The engine runs like it did when it was new. It did get better gas mileage when it was newer, but any engine is going to lose a little as it ages. I've only changed the plugs once at around 100,000 miles and they looked fine. As an aside, the other amazing thing is not only have I not had to change the transmission fluid, but I've never had to add any fluid.
Old 03-05-12, 08:59 AM
Nvbanker
Driver School Candidate

It is sad that people will spend the money for a premium luxury car, and then are too cheap to buy the gas required for optimum performance in their expensive car. I consider you to be a cheapskate and concur with the individual above who said, maybe you should look for something else. Sounds like you are more of an Avalon person than a Lexus person.
Old 03-05-12, 12:44 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nvbanker
It is sad that people will spend the money for a premium luxury car, and then are too cheap to buy the gas required for optimum performance in their expensive car. I consider you to be a cheapskate and concur with the individual above who said, maybe you should look for something else. Sounds like you are more of an Avalon person than a Lexus person.
< Mikey falls backwards, in TOTAL AMAZEMENT !!!! > -
Old 03-05-12, 03:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Nvbanker
Nvbanker, your comment isn't appropriate for this conversation or our community as its clearly meant to be insulting.

Please exit this thread.
Old 03-06-12, 08:15 PM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

NVBanker, I too consider myself to be a cheapskate. Obviously I'm smart enough to know where to spend my money, and maybe even more importantly, where NOT to spend my money.

I don't know how you can surmise what I should be driving, but I can tell you that I've driven a wide variety of vehicles. I'm thankful that I don't have people like you making my decisions for me. I appreciate the suggestions, however. I was only providing my own experiences, if you feel inclined to run super unleaded, go for it. Hell, if you want to run 104 octane race fuel in your LS460, then by all means, it's your car.
Old 03-07-12, 05:53 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
Hi, I don't have an LS460 yet but I'm definitely in the market for buying one. One interesting statement I was told by a luxury car dealer is that at higher elevations the type of gas (oct) used doesn't really matter (something to do with less oxygen at higher altitudes). He mentioned that at sea level it definitely matters but as you go up in elevations, there really isn't a difference.

I live in Denver so I'm curious to know if anyone else has been able to vouch for this.
Once you get your LS ..we will really need your help on a major issue for us who have lowered our cars since you live in Denver..you will get a PM from me shortly to explain
Old 03-07-12, 09:07 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

there's a really good article about this in this month's (april 2012) issue of road and track. it's the one with the line of corvettes on the front

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)