Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL or Porsche Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 08:19 AM
jetlee2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS600hL or Porsche Turbo S?

I've been a long faithful Lexus customer for the past 10 years.. I still currently own a LS430 2001 and a LX470 2006. I am looking to get a new car since my LX470 2006 will be gone by the end of the year. I am thinking HARD and try to justify the $$ will spend for LS600hL.. is it worth it? The porsche cayene 2010 is also comming out soon with a brand new redesign from head to toe and costwise they are pretty much the same.. I am leaning toward a Porsche but my faithful LS430 2001 for the past 9 years never give me any problems.. any suggestion, pros & cons.. thanks
Old 07-03-09, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well you should ask yourself what are you looking for in your next car. if you are deciding between the 600hl vs 760 vs s550, then ok that can be a debate and see which one is better for you

but if you are deciding between the 600hl and a turbo s, then to me that means you don't know what kind of car you want yet. you want performance, handling, speed, firm ride, sport feeling? or you want comfort, space, quietness, smooth ride?

that should be what you figure out first imho. the 600hl is a great car in many sense, but if that's not the kind of car you want, then it's a big waste of money
Old 07-03-09, 10:03 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed with what rominl said, it's probably good to do a little soul-searching about what you want. IMO, the LS 600h L is the LS line taken to a higher degree...more of the quiet, comfort, luxury, technology etc. that the LS has had. Sort of like the LS 430 UL but done on a grander scale, plus with the uniqueness of the hybrid system. If you are interested in a Porsche sedan perhaps the Panamera could also be considered...
Old 07-03-09, 11:37 AM
jetlee2k
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply.. I think I should phrase my question better.. Is it worth $130K for a LS600hL? I agree with Rominl about the soul searching but honestly I don't care.. somehow I don't have a problem with a porsche Cayene S, an S63AMG for $130K but it seems an LS600hL for $130K make me think twice.. It does not look much difference between a LS600hL and LS460hL..
Old 07-03-09, 12:28 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoa, there's quite a wide gulf between your choices. I guess I can insert a few more considerations. Your age is an important factor, as is your family situation, and of course lifestyle. The ride quality difference may also play a part, as there's quite a spread there as well. If you're over fifty, then you "might" tire easily with the Cayenne, although the versatility it affords outmatches the 600. Are you an outdoors guy or seldom go out there? I had the 460 for 16 months and now the 600 for about a year, but I am yearning for the outdoors, camping & fishing. It means I will probably fess up for a SUV soon, as I hate to give up the 600 - it has been literally flawless. Maybe that's your dilemma as well - in which case I would suggest the 600, and get the SUV, but tone down the make. You can have both, but they don't both have to be top-of-the-line...
Old 07-03-09, 01:05 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl

if you are deciding between the 600hl and a turbo s, then to me that means you don't know what kind of car you want yet.

I agree, there is just simply no comparison between the LS, and Cayenne.... Night vs. Day.

It would have been a closer comparison if you are contemplating the LS vs. the Panamera.....

Last edited by spine911; 07-03-09 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 03:47 PM
hoonunya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jetlee2k
Is it worth $130K for a LS600hL? ..
WORTH ???? In a word, NO
You're talking about a $70k car with $50k of stuff.

A Honda Civic sedan has more luggage capacity than a 600hl.

I'm thinking about a Corvette, a Town Car, or a Chevy Suburban. Can you help me out.
Old 07-03-09, 08:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by hoonunya
WORTH ???? In a word, NO
You're talking about a $70k car with $50k of stuff.

A Honda Civic sedan has more luggage capacity than a 600hl.

I'm thinking about a Corvette, a Town Car, or a Chevy Suburban. Can you help me out.
seriously if you are spending money to buy a 600hl, you probably have another car to use for luggage space...

when i got my ls460l (which has more or less the same trunk space as the 600hl), i already had another car lined up for airport use
Old 07-03-09, 08:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jetlee2k
Thank you for the reply.. I think I should phrase my question better.. Is it worth $130K for a LS600hL? I agree with Rominl about the soul searching but honestly I don't care.. somehow I don't have a problem with a porsche Cayene S, an S63AMG for $130K but it seems an LS600hL for $130K make me think twice.. It does not look much difference between a LS600hL and LS460hL..
well for sure you don't spend 130k on ls600hl. with all the discount and stuff probably 115k is what you'd spend. in terms of performance, it's good for what it is but you shouldn't compared that with the kind of performance and handling you get on a porsche, you'd be disappointed

but with all the amenities and what not, i don't think it's a bad price
Old 07-05-09, 07:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I think the MSRP for the 600hL exec. package is around $115K, and with discounts nowadays, you should be able to get it for less.
Is it worth it compared to a 460L ? For me, I would say no, otherwise I would be driving a 600hL instead of a 460L already. But I don't see it as less of a value than the S63 or the Porsche Cayenne, it does have it's own virtue and uniqueness.

And as encore888 suggested, the new 4-door Porsche Panemera is a "closer" comparison to the LS than the Porsche SUV, & it starts from US$90K and go all the way up to $190K.
Personally, I never find SUV's appealing unless you're an outdoors person, or you need to move big stuff often, but you don't need a high end car such as this to do that anyway, so that's why I would consider the Panerama way before the Cayenne.

The 600hL have a bigger trunk starting from the 2009 model btw ... but no, trunk space is not a consideration for me, I don't use my baby to move stuff and carry luggages to the airport, if it's good enough for groceries, which it is, then it's sufficient.
Old 07-05-09, 03:00 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

Since you are keeping the LS430 and replacing the Lexus SUV, I would think that you would want another SUV (be it Lexus, Porsche, or whatever). The SUV has it's uses (airport duty, etc) the sedan its (refined luxury ride/drive) but not the ability to carry much cargo (be it with or w/o the trunk mounted A/C system). If you dont need a large carrying capacity the Cayeene could replace both !!!
Old 07-05-09, 04:47 PM
ghenley
Rookie

This is an interesting decision that I understand. I traded a Cayenne S for my 460. Not quite top of the line, as you're looking at, but as everyone says and you know, they are as different as night and day. I loved the handling and ride of the Cayenne, even though it is an SUV, but did it largely because I preferred the more refined ride of the LS (I've had and have another LS) and wanted the long-term reliability of the Lexus. It's funny that the LS has been in the shop more than the Cayenne. Well, maybe not funny...

Even though I miss the ride of the Cayenne, I love the 460. I wish I could own both, so I can drive the one I'm in the mood to drive on a given day. For me, I think I made the right decision.

Greg
Old 07-10-09, 12:02 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I actually understand your decision process regarding those two choices. It is made harder by the fact that the 911 turbo is a good daily driver (albeit with limited luggage space, but you can drive it everywhere and it is reliable and easy to drive.)

Another thought would be something like an Aston Martin Vantage. You could get custom paint and interior colors, it would be relatively rare and unique, sexy as all get-go, and still decent performer. Not as luxurious as the LS600hL, not as sporty as the 911 Turbo, but with a cache all its own.

It you like to mindlessly drive a great car in luxury, get the LS600hL. If you like to actively drive (accelerate around corners, etc.) get the 911 turbo. If you'd like to meet Bond women, get the Aston.
Old 07-10-09, 12:16 PM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

You cant lose with an Aston, but the ISF is out there too.

** honestly, you sound like an AMG guy. Luxury and Speed.
Old 07-10-09, 01:00 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Why not Porsche panamera 2010

Quick Reply: LS600hL or Porsche Turbo S?